Main Menu

Robbie Robertson

Started by wolof7, Mar 28, 2011, 02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

After reading Levon's book "this wheel's on fire," (a must read) I lost a lot of respect for Robbie. Even though he is still one of my favorite guitarists, the way he disbanded the band was a sad state of affairs and knowing the truth behind the Last Waltz (it's production and execution) makes a formerly epic watch/listen into a difficult one. Really, Neil Diamond? C'mon!

Needless to say he has a new album out, its streaming at npr at the link below. He is touring with Dawes as a backing band (wonder what went into that decision but good for them). I'll still give it a fair listen.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134792027/first-listen-robbie-robertson-how-to-become-clairvoyant
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

I used to feel like you, but over the years i've softened up on Robbie. Robbie's really never spoken out about it, which I kind of respect.  Robbie (and also IMO Garth Hudson) were the real architects of those songs, even though they were a lot of times based on Levon's stories. I look at Levon's solo material and it's good but it's never been anything compared to the The Band's work. Each member was an awesome artist/musician in their own right, but if songwriting is so subjective, and it kind of seems like the meat of those songs were guided/written by Robbie and through his vision, then I think RR would have been fair about it.  But yeah, I'll be eternally mad at him for breaking up the best band ever.

That said, Robbie's never really had any great solo work, either--I listened to this new stuff on his FB page and it's not really my thing, but neither was any of his other solo stuff.

(and I believe ND was on The Last Waltz because RR was producing his album? ..is that what you're referring to?)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 28, 2011, 02:21 PM

(and I believe ND was on The Last Waltz because RR was producing his album? ..is that what you're referring to?)

I believe you are right Penny and that is what I was referring to. I read Levon's book bout a yr and half ago when I was really going through a phase with the Band. I still respect Robbie but those stories still tarnish some of it for me. There definitely have been worse dissoultions in the history of rock. And I agree completely that his silence should be respected. I guess I loved the Last Waltz and Robbie's contributions way before I knew the whole story.

Nevertheless, I have come around to understanding Robbie as a brilliant musician and a positive influence throughout their early years. It is also to easily blame a whole lot of issues on all the cocaine that was going on. Seems like that could've helped all involved lose a bit of perspective.  :o

Penny Lane

Well I think a big thing is how the dynamic had shifted from the beginning of the band (Levon being the leader from the days of the Hawks, then Levon left the tour when they were backing Dylan) and then once they were signed,  Robbie got him to come back (more so to HIS band). I don't think Levon ever fully accepted that.

I also think if Levon had a valid complaint, he would have pursued it rather than talking about it all these years. Levon has admitted that RR wrote the meat of those songs, the melodies and most of the lyrics. What the rest of the them added might not add up to a songwriting credit (guess the line is kind of blurry)..and RR comes across badly in TLW, and I think he was a prick. But Levon's argument is more emotion based than fact based I think..

Also, Levon didn't write a lot of the songs on his own album--so how much of a songwriter is he? Another thing is why haven't the other members of the band come forward as much as Levon? (Danko and Hudson played on Robbie's first solo album). Just wondered...

To stipulate though, I'd lay down for LEVON not Robbie-- and I know most of those songs are based on Levon's life and stories.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Yikes, couldn't even make it past the first song. I can certainly say that Levon's last 2 solo efforts, even though not original music, is leaps and bounds more listenable. Sounds like Robbie's emulating Prince's Batman Soundtrack era, in a really bad way.

Jellyfish

Based on these and other reviews,I am not gonna read Levon's book because I love Robbie and the Band so much plus the Last Waltz is the best Rock DVD ever I am just gonna let it be and leave it at that.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

wolof7

Quote from: Jellyfish on Mar 28, 2011, 08:48 PM
Based on these and other reviews,I am not gonna read Levon's book because I love Robbie and the Band so much plus the Last Waltz is the best Rock DVD ever I am just gonna let it be and leave it at that.
Yea I understand that sentiment but its still a great read. If you're a fan you should read up to the point of the Last Waltz. It's definitely not a R. Roberston bash-fest