Of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks

Started by rats, Mar 16, 2012, 11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rats

this album is really incredible. made me re-live the of montreal back-catalog, which has been a real treat. i've been a fan of this band for a while, but this new album has given me a new-found borderline obsession with kevin barnes's music. skeletal lamping in particular has come together for me like it never did when i first listened to it. i really love all of the albums though.

are there any other fans out there? i always thought they were a pretty well-known and well-received band, relative to indie music.. but since the new album has come out i haven't really heard anyone talking about it...or much press on it at all for that matter, aside from what i've deliberately seeked out. i'm starting to think maybe they have a much more limited fan-base than i had initially thought. or maybe it's the unjust mediocre/somewhat negative reaction that the new material is receiving?

anyway, as for the new album, like i said, it's really great. kevin has retired the 'georgie fruit' persona, so this is a little less bizarre/funky and outwardly sexual than the previous couple of albums, but it still has kevin's standard quirks all over it. it's more guitar driven overall, and there are a lot of classical arrangements incorporated throughout the album, particularly the second half. apparently this is the first album that kevin has hired session musicians to help him record.

this album has great replay value, and repeated listening is almost necessary to fully enjoy it. favorite tracks so far are 'ye renew the plantiff' and 'wintered debts', but they are all solid. 'exorsism breeding knife' seems to be the unanimous dud, and is mostly instrumental with some talking, but it does serve it's purpose and will warm up to you over time.

please tell me someone else has been digging this?

Come Closer

Based on the lack of responses, it doesn't seem like there are many of Montreal fans on here, but their newest one is streaming.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/240-lousy-with-sylvianbriar/

FiddleCastro

I was a fan but kinda lost interest after Id Engager.  Haven't seen them live since that tour either...

HOWEVER, I heard a track off the new record and liked it. I may have to check this out.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

ms. yvon

i've heard at least one new song on the radio but not the album.  i love "hissing fauna" and have been looking for another of montreal that i would like as much.  i'll def give this one a go.  especially after your comment about how it influenced your listening to the other records. 
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."