The Gillian Welch Discussion Thread

Started by mylifeisought, Oct 29, 2008, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knotcameloose

So the Gillian Welch discussion is this:
She is the child of a pair of urban writers...heard a record, went to college and now writes all these down-home bluegrass songs.  

does that cheapen the experience for you when you listen, knowing she didn't grow up learning these songs in a rocking chair in an Appalachian holler?  

or can you put that aside and just groove with the music?

aMillionDreams

QuoteSo the Gillian Welch discussion is this:
She is the child of a pair of urban writers...heard a record, went to college and now writes all these down-home bluegrass songs.  

does that cheapen the experience for you when you listen, knowing she didn't grow up learning these songs in a rocking chair in an Appalachian holler?  

or can you put that aside and just groove with the music?

I think that makes her MORE genuine in a way.  For her to seek out this music that she was barely even exposed to, it must have really touched her and she found her "true calling".   Whereas most people just fall into listening to the same stuff the people around them like, be it Bill Monroe or Brittney Spears.  So it doesn't cheapen the exp for me at all.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ralph

New album "The Harrow & The Harvest" released June 28th. Finally....  ::)

Any other Gillian & David fans here?  They are truly from the top shelf.
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ChiefOKONO

Gillian Rules! just saw her open for buffalo springfield!!!!

and a while back it was cool to spot her at the MoF show as well.

ralph

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jun 08, 2011, 06:51 PM

Man, that Springfield show must have been awesome. Saw them at Bridge last year but the thought of Neil & Stills jamming on bluebird plugged in is almost too much to bear...

jaye

Love love love her.  Saw Gillian and David at the Fillmore a few years back.   They were amazing!

ChiefOKONO

Yeah it was quite an amazing show.. they did some huge jams which i was not expecting.
gillian and dave blew everyone away as well!

Quote from: ralph on Jun 08, 2011, 08:14 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jun 08, 2011, 06:51 PM

Man, that Springfield show must have been awesome. Saw them at Bridge last year but the thought of Neil & Stills jamming on bluebird plugged in is almost too much to bear...

ChiefOKONO

ralph

New album is ridiculously awesome. Wow, wow, wow...

wolof7

Really love this album....feel it's a bit top heavy, songs 2-6 are amazing! Need a few more listens tho, the whole album is impressive as always by these 2
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ChiefOKONO

LOVE this one!! although a couple aren't my favorites, but it's very solid.  can't believe it took 8 years though!!

BH

Tennessee is the shit.  What a song.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ralph

Quote from: BH on Jul 01, 2011, 12:11 PM
Tennessee is the shit.  What a song.

Yep, one of my faves. But honestly, the whole album is just sublime.  Been waiting a long long time for this one. Very rare that an album youve built up so much turns out to meet and then exceed your expections.

Theres talk of a January tour here which would be awesome. They last toured here in '04.  Some of the most stunning shows Ive seen. Dave's guitar playing live is jaw dropping in places. And the harmonies... oh boy...  I remember hearing The Way It Will Be (Throw Me A Rope back then) during those shows and thinking how amazing a song it was. Who'd have thought it would take 8 years to make it to record?

Man, I love this album.

MrWhippy

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and knowing there are other Gil/Dave fans on here.

I agree that the new album is amazing and everything I hoped it would be.  I've grown to appreciate Soul Journey over the years, but didn't care for it much at first.  It's great to be blown away by a record of theirs again right off the bat.

Can't wait to see them again in August.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ChiefOKONO

BH

Dang!  If I buy one more $40 dollar ticket this month, I may have to sleep on the couch.

ChiefOKONO

all worth it though BH!

here are a couple making of album vids:

http://www.gillianwelch.com/news