Tell Me Dave Matthews sucks...

Started by Ghosts_on_TV, Dec 18, 2008, 02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteI still go see him once every summer with my college buddies.  It's a nostalgia trip, nothing more, and he usually has fairly badass openers (this year, I think it was the Roots).

Best part of their shows

I went with my sister and a few of her friends 3 or so years ago bc Jurassic 5 was opening and Id been screwed out of seeing them thru various different circumstances 3 times.

DMB did not impress me at all....for the encore he played All Along the Watchtower, and almost all the fans around me where saying 'what song is this?!'....

yeah, DMB fans obviously know good music  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteIt's funny how this subject comes up, from one side or the other, every few months (see below). Dave is the man. Still is. One of my favorite shows, period, was him and Tim Reynolds in Berkeley, 2 days before my 21st birthday, which would've been '99.

I think that the haters hate, more than anything else, because they don't want to be associated with his general fanbase. That's just silly...

QuoteI think that I've had a similar relationship with the good ol' DMB that several of you on here have. Exposed through the HORDE festival, saw several headlining shows in the mid-90s, LOVED the Dave and Tim stuff, then they fell out of favor around the time that they started playing baseball stadiums.

They certainly have a more vanilla fan base, and their music is almost a cliche now. But you know, I went with my wife and some old friends to a show last summer, the first time in about 6 or 7 years, and I had a blast. They are a great live act, and their rhythm section is unbelievable.  

I never listen to Dave Matthews music at home any more, and yes, the stuff I've heard on the radio from him recently hasn't been very exciting. But I really don't care much about being cool anymore, and, well, I guess I'm here to stick up for some old friends. Hate all you want, but they are a smokin' live act.  

Well I can't really discredit what you are saying here.  I guess after 95-95, I just don't dig him anymore.  As you and others' have stated though, he always is playing with great musicians and always has solid opening acts.

Oh and Headdy, he always closes with AATW or at least he did back in the day.  It was their one cover they did.  What the hell do I know.  Maybe I just made that up

When I saw them again in 97-98ish - Maceo Parker opened and I was the only one watching.  They hadn't even turned off the lights and in a stadium holding 16000, no one was there to watch Maceo 'cept me and a few stragglers.  Yes the fanbase :P

Oh well
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotedidnt read anything else in this thread but dave definately sucks balls

Thoughts like this are pretty much the reason I made this thread in the first place. It seems to me, people are way too quick to judge them, they either love them or completely hate them, without really listening. I posted a video in the first post that you didn't watch that I think you should. I'm not saying that you have to like him, or the song for that matter, but to play what he does and sing a melody over it takes talent, and thats just the truth.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Murph

you may not like their music, but theres no denying the fact that they are one of the tightest bands around, each one of them is a better musician then the next.

Grateful Chabo

QuoteAnd I agree with thepennylane.  I wouldn't say he sucks, but I find him just plain boring.

me too...good guitarist but doesnt tickle my fancy
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

The DARK

QuoteAnd I agree with thepennylane.  I wouldn't say he sucks, but I find him just plain boring.

me too...good guitarist but doesnt tickle my fancy

This I can agree with. He's got one of the best technically talented bands around, but I'm just not a big fan of his style (singing in particular).
In another time, in another place, in another face

ams3534

DMB has to be one of the most overrated bands in human history. Year after year DMB seems to gain popularity while putting out worse and worse music. Meanwhile bands like MMJ put out some of the most impressive music I've ever had the pleasure to listen to and yet seem fated to remain in relative obscurity compared to the likes of the almighty DMB. The state of music is in dangerous terrain if DMB can headline a festival and MMJ cannot.

Taterbug

OK,  Dave Matthews can Suck a Watermelon thru a garden hose..
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

DaFunkyPrecedent

who cares... he makes people really happy and that's enough for me. I mean really, what is their to hate?  he sings about nice and pleasant things, he does charitable concerts, he love's his fans and tours relentlessly.  There is nothing wrong with the man in my mind.  In fact, Dave will go down as one of the most inspiring and remembered musical artists of all time.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteDMB has to be one of the most overrated bands in human history. Year after year DMB seems to gain popularity while putting out worse and worse music. Meanwhile bands like MMJ put out some of the most impressive music I've ever had the pleasure to listen to and yet seem fated to remain in relative obscurity compared to the likes of the almighty DMB. The state of music is in dangerous terrain if DMB can headline a festival and MMJ cannot.

Overrated?  ;D

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteDMB has to be one of the most overrated bands in human history. Year after year DMB seems to gain popularity while putting out worse and worse music. Meanwhile bands like MMJ put out some of the most impressive music I've ever had the pleasure to listen to and yet seem fated to remain in relative obscurity compared to the likes of the almighty DMB. The state of music is in dangerous terrain if DMB can headline a festival and MMJ cannot.

Overrated?  ;D

By the way, I'm not too sure I'd consider MSG on NYE that obscure...

DaFunkyPrecedent

Overrated?  ;D

ams just got PONED!
God damn those shaky knees.

thatswhatshesaid

QuoteI liked Some Devil better than any of the DMB albums
i totally agree. if you guys haven't heard this, you should give it a spin. trey anastasio from phish plays on most of the album as well. it blows away any DMB album (which for the most part i enjoy). I do think busted stuff is probably the best DMB album to this point.

Isobella

megalicious

QuoteDMB gives weed a bad name.

;D
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

tomEisenbraun

QuoteDMB gives weed a bad name.

;D

[smiley=thumbup.gif]
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

jones

I'm not a fan... Know why? It's The Way That He Sings.

saki

Overrated?  ;D

ams just got PONED!

DMB's popularity started from word of mouth through touring constantly in small venues.  They are one of the original "indie" bands because of this.  A band that has such an incredible meteoric rise to popularity through this method isn't overrated.  Sure you could argue that their fanbase caused some backlash, but they got where they are for a reason.  Oh yeah, and ATO records has signed a few good artists ;)