U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Started by primushead, Mar 02, 2009, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

i liked zooropa and pop, too

i think the numbers are decieving though; (only selling half as many copies the first week as their last) a lot has to do w/advanced technology (file sharing) plus as their fans get older they don't rush out the first day to get it anymore.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

buaawwww

Yeah I really don't see where you can say a U2 album outright "sucked".  I have given the new album about 3 listens now and I have to say that it is good... has some very good tunes on it.  U2 is a band that cannot release an album that "sucks".  They get points for originality too (like going from Joshua Tree to Achtung to Zooropa, Pop, etc).  

I think I am going to have to listen to Zooropa right now actually.

Jbones72

QuoteYeah I really don't see where you can say a U2 album outright "sucked".  I have given the new album about 3 listens now and I have to say that it is good... has some very good tunes on it.  U2 is a band that cannot release an album that "sucks".  They get points for originality too (like going from Joshua Tree to Achtung to Zooropa, Pop, etc).  

I think I am going to have to listen to Zooropa right now actually.

I couldn't agree more!

vadermaul

Hi guys, I've been a huge U2 fan since Achtung Baby days (1st rock show was ZooTV at age 14).  And have enjoyed every U2 album release since.  Big U2 Pop fan which is a really underrated rock album and I really think U2 would have followed up with the album/sound they released this week.  

Its nice to see some other MMJ fans give U2 respect, which I think many people think the band takes for granted.  For the past 2 weeks they've been promoting the album unlike other bands would at their age.  I find U2 unique in that they still go through the record/making an album process as if this is their 2nd album by trying to make it fresh/relevant.  And its hard for them to cater to the mass audience they have while making it challenging as artist for themselves.  But this latest album I think really has some great tunes and cohesively makes sense as a very good rock album.  

In a nut-shell, its cool to see MMJ fans (the coolest fans ever) enjoy U2.   :)

Great performance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIDGE7NJEkM

Kenny76

I listened to Pop the other day, and it's a better record than this new one by far.  Pop and October were the only U2 albums I found lacking before this.

that said, the new album is far from the worst album I've ever heard.  it has it's moments.  but a lot of it just weird, and not in a good way.  I simply don't want to listen to Bono singing shit lyrics over cheesy synth sounds... can you blame me?

I will, however, happily listen to Geddy Lee sing shit lyrics over cheesy synth sounds.  I'm a walking contradiction then, maybe.

bold99

Weird to think one of the biggest bands in the world will be about 5 mintues from my apartment where I get on an off the train everyday.  they are playing the Somerville theater tomorrow night, it is going to be insane down there when I get out of work.

U2 fans still haven't found what they're looking for.

Speculation about the venue for next Wednesday's increasinglyless-stealthy secret U2 show continues, with suggestions ranging from the obvious (the Paradise) to the absurd (Davis Square's Joshua Tree).

But one previously unmentioned location now seems to have the Edge - the Somerville Theatre .

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

walterfredo

looks like Bono is really concerned about the band's carbon footprint.  check out the new stage.....Good Lawd!  47 trucks.   :-X  What happened to getting on a stage an playing some rock n' roll? 

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2011/05/u2_at_invesco_field_360_tour_the_stage_is_set.php

iLikeBeer

This has been their stage for a while now.  This was their stage when I saw them at Soldier Field in Chicago back in the fall of 2009.

But I agree with you in regards to your question about what happened to just getting on a stage and playing rock 'n roll.