Rothbury 2009 lineup is out..

Started by Dudley, Mar 18, 2009, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Couldn't wait for this to come out.. Not my favorite artists but from what I heard about Rothbury last year and with me living in Michigan, I'll be there..

www.RothburyFestival.com

Ghosts_on_TV

ehh...I may be jaded by how awesome Bonnaroo is this year, and  there are some great bands on there, it just doesn't really do that much for me.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Isobella

I would like to see/hear Guster, Cold War Kids, and Broken Social Scene.

Murph

not the best lineup, but you can never go wrong with Dylan or the Dead.  I would like to see the Black Crowes and Grace Potter also.  Flogging Molly always put on a good show back in the day when I used to see them.

Dudley

Quotenot the best lineup, but you can never go wrong with Dylan or the Dead.  I would like to see the Black Crowes and Grace Potter also.  Flogging Molly always put on a good show back in the day when I used to see them.

I actually walked ou of a Dylan show a couple years ago.. Payed some 80 for tickets.. Foo Fighters opened with a drunken acustic set that rocked the house.. Someone told me he was sick during the show so he couldn't sing.. But i couldn't even understand the guy.. i had to walk before i lost anything else for him.. I hope he changes the image for me this year at Rothbury.. I've always wanted to see the black crowes so i'm stoked..

Leontheslut

They have some balls listing the Dead over Dylan. How many real members of the dead is there, one?

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThey have some balls listing the Dead over Dylan. How many real members of the dead is there, one?

Seriously? Only Jerry and several keyboard players have passed away, the rest of the lineup is the same.
And have you seen Dylan live? Maybe at one point he was a great performer but not anymore. Dylan doesn't even face the audience and plays a keyboard instead of a guitar. I never saw The Dead, but I have seen Phil Lesh & Friends and Ratdog and I know they can still play.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

primushead

Seems like a bland rehash of every other festival out there.

And, yes, you CAN go wrong with Bob Dylan (nowadays).  I walked out as well a couple of years ago.  His voice just doesn't have it anymore. :(

Bumbeli

And, yes, you CAN go wrong with Bob Dylan (nowadays).  I walked out as well a couple of years ago.  His voice just doesn't have it anymore. :(

Sorry, but

WRONG
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

BH

Sorry, but

WRONG

Strong argument you got there.    ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MickeyReds

QuoteThey have some balls listing the Dead over Dylan. How many real members of the dead is there, one?

Seriously? Only Jerry and several keyboard players have passed away, the rest of the lineup is the same.
And have you seen Dylan live? Maybe at one point he was a great performer but not anymore. Dylan doesn't even face the audience and plays a keyboard instead of a guitar. I never saw The Dead, but I have seen Phil Lesh & Friends and Ratdog and I know they can still play.
Oh SNAP!
As long as you keep a straight face...

Isobella

Sorry, but

WRONG
When did his voice ever have it?

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

bold99

I'm a huge Dylan fan, even obsessive over the years and I'll never get when people talk about how he can't sing or his voice....but that being said I'd 100% rather see the Dead than Dylan and I have no issue with them listing the Dead over him.  Dylan live lately has been pretty bad.  He had a good period in the 90's where I saw a lot of good shows, mostly smaller venues.  I really don't know why he's gone back to Large arenas and Fests because he ususally sounds bad.  The Dead on the other hand, especially with the addition of Warren sound great.  They may be older but the music is still there and the playing is a lot more interesting than anything you will see on Dylan's never ending tour.  It has become him just spitting out lyrics and playing keyboard.  If I went to Rothbury I'd probably go see him but I wouldn't be pumped about it but I'd be pumped to see the Dead.  Can't wait for this upcoming tour.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Bumbeli

Sorry, but

WRONG

Strong argument you got there.    ;)

I know, I spent quite some time thinking about that.
I saw him last year at a pretty small venue, and I can't complain about his voice. He may not be very eager to talk to the audience or anything, but on a musical level his concert was great.  I really enjoy the deconstruction of his song and how it's sometimes hard to figure them out in their new version. (Of all the "All along the Watchtower" versions I've hear, I liked the one at the concert best, it was a really strange one, not very similar to the popular ones)
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

Leontheslut

Garcia was a great guitar player but overall the dead are meh.

There is a reason the Dead became Bob Dylan's backing band in the 80's.

I don't care how old and horrible Zimmy sounds nowadays, he deserves more respect than being billed behind Bob Weir and Phil Lesh.

Any Dylan song is >>>>>>>>>>>> than the best Dead song you can drag out.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Murph

QuoteI'm a huge Dylan fan, even obsessive over the years and I'll never get when people talk about how he can't sing or his voice....but that being said I'd 100% rather see the Dead than Dylan and I have no issue with them listing the Dead over him.  Dylan live lately has been pretty bad.  He had a good period in the 90's where I saw a lot of good shows, mostly smaller venues.  I really don't know why he's gone back to Large arenas and Fests because he ususally sounds bad.  The Dead on the other hand, especially with the addition of Warren sound great.  They may be older but the music is still there and the playing is a lot more interesting than anything you will see on Dylan's never ending tour.  It has become him just spitting out lyrics and playing keyboard.  If I went to Rothbury I'd probably go see him but I wouldn't be pumped about it but I'd be pumped to see the Dead.  Can't wait for this upcoming tour.

well said.  I couldn't wait for the Dead until i saw that the cheapest ticket i could find was 100+ bucks.   >:(

bold99

QuoteI'm a huge Dylan fan, even obsessive over the years and I'll never get when people talk about how he can't sing or his voice....but that being said I'd 100% rather see the Dead than Dylan and I have no issue with them listing the Dead over him.  Dylan live lately has been pretty bad.  He had a good period in the 90's where I saw a lot of good shows, mostly smaller venues.  I really don't know why he's gone back to Large arenas and Fests because he ususally sounds bad.  The Dead on the other hand, especially with the addition of Warren sound great.  They may be older but the music is still there and the playing is a lot more interesting than anything you will see on Dylan's never ending tour.  It has become him just spitting out lyrics and playing keyboard.  If I went to Rothbury I'd probably go see him but I wouldn't be pumped about it but I'd be pumped to see the Dead.  Can't wait for this upcoming tour.

well said.  I couldn't wait for the Dead until i saw that the cheapest ticket i could find was 100+ bucks.   >:(

This is true, but it is becoming pretty standard these days with any well known band.  They actually lowered the price of tix at a few venues and offered discounted tix.  I don't even have tix but i'm counting on the prices going down a little by show time and grabbing what I can get.

bold99

QuoteGarcia was a great guitar player but overall the dead are meh.

I don't care how old and horrible Zimmy sounds nowadays, he deserves more respect than being billed behind Bob Weir and Phil Lesh.

Actually they became his backing band because he loved the Dead so much and wanted to explore and experiment with his songs and he loved when they covered his songs which is why the Dead are so great.  I'm not a huge Bob Weir fan but Phil is one of the greatest bass players to ever live.  No question Dylan rules and his song writing was unreal but the Dead do and did what they do better than anyone.   When Dylan and Phil's band toured together a few years back it was co-headline.  They would switch headliners each night which I think is about right.

Penny Lane

QuoteGarcia was a great guitar player but overall the dead are meh.

Actually they became his backing band because he loved the Dead so much and wanted to explore and experiment with his songs and he loved when they covered his songs which is why the Dead are so great.  I'm not a huge Bob Weir fan but Phil is one of the greatest bass players to ever live.  No question Dylan rules and his song writing was unreal but the Dead do and did what they do better than anyone.   When Dylan and Phil's band toured together a few years back it was co-headline.  They would switch headliners each night which I think is about right.

in 'down the highway' it said that dylan actually wanted to join the grateful dead but jerry didn't think it was the right fit. it said jerry actually let him down nicely but he was still bummed (and kind of looking for direction at that point) just what i read
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill