new lineup fact

Started by goldengator, Feb 26, 2004, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldengator

they only had 3 rehearsals before going on tour.  hows THAT for triumph in the face of adversity.   :o

peanut butter puddin surprise

;D Now that is cool!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

Word up! Carl and Bo rule big time. I'll be there to welcome them in Europe!  :)
I'm ready when you are

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteWord up! Carl and Bo rule big time. I'll be there to welcome them in Europe!  :)

You got that right O the guys didn't miss a beat on the road with the new blood.  Long live MMJ!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

lfish

Hey o,

Does that mean you're coming over to see the Belgian show?  ;)
lfish

Oz

I'm ready when you are

Boofweef

>:(

Ok, I saw the band last year open for Foo Fighters, and honestly... I thought they were pretty awful!  Maybe it was the accoustics (but the Foo Fighters sounded great) Maybe I wasnt drunk enough.  who knows.  
But now, one of my favorite guitar players quits an incredible band to join this group..... I'm very dissapointed in Carl!  When we met, I thought he was incredible. He fit in so well with his previous group, he ws so personable and had such a great connection with the guys. But now, I have a choice... listen to this MMJ crap, or give up on hearing Carl play.   Well, sorry to say....  I'll miss seeing you around, Carl.  But, best of luck to you.

alright, i'm all for everyone being entitled to their own opinion, but...

Quotelisten to this MMJ crap

say what?  are you sure about that?  what makes you say that?  was it a live show or studio work that convinced you of that?  i need some reasons here.  just as i'm sure your favorite band isn't "crap"...

MMJ_fanatic

Quote>:(

I thought they were pretty awful!  or give up on hearing Carl play.   Well, sorry to say....  I'll miss seeing you around, Carl.  But, best of luck to you.

You need to give them more of a chance!  These guys have great tunes and are sooooo tight live.

ycartrob

some would say the Foo Fighters are crap, and Dave Grohl is cashing in on his Nirvana fame...it's just rock and roll folks, and compared to Mozart, it's all crap! ;)
See you in Louisville and Nashville, listnening to that crappy band I love!

yo, if you're coming to Louisville, I'll buy ya a beer!

kymoose

Ahhh Boofweef.......such strong opinions.  Thank goodness you don't like my favorite band.   :)

Oz

Quotecompared to Mozart, it's all crap! ;)

Nah, Mozart is crap! But that's just my humble opinion. I always thought it's much more genius to write a song like 'I will be there when you die', with 4 chords, or something, then all that classical 'yeah, it's ingenius, but it's boring as hell'-stuff. Or is that me being punk again?
I'm ready when you are

boofweef

Alright, I'll admit, I might have been too harsh on MMJ.  I shouldn't have called it "crap" with out really giving it a chance. After all, the only time I've heard them is live, opening for another group (that I really didnt care for either-I won free tickets) So, if anyone can recommend one of their CD's, or better yet burn me one, or some live stuff, I'd love to give them a shot.  I mean they cant be all bad..... Carl went to play for them.

ycartrob

O, you obviously haven't discovered the beauty and genius of classical music. Maybe it's an age thing. As far as musicianship goes, there is no comparison with pop and rock to the composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Paganini, Wagner, etc...
As for Mozart, he began composing music when he was 5. He was only 35 when he dies and he composed over 600 works, including 21 stage and opera works, 15 Masses, over 50 symphonies, 25 piano concertos, 12 violin concertos, 27 concert arias, 17 piano sonatas, 26 string quartets and on and on and on. It may not float your boat, but when I think of musical "crap" I think about Blink 182 or Toby Keith, not Mozart.

http://www.mozartproject.org/biography/index.html

Oz

QuoteO, you obviously haven't discovered the beauty and genius of classical music. Maybe it's an age thing. As far as musicianship goes, there is no comparison with pop and rock to the composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Paganini, Wagner, etc...
As for Mozart, he began composing music when he was 5. He was only 35 when he dies and he composed over 600 works, including 21 stage and opera works, 15 Masses, over 50 symphonies, 25 piano concertos, 12 violin concertos, 27 concert arias, 17 piano sonatas, 26 string quartets and on and on and on. It may not float your boat, but when I think of musical "crap" I think about Blink 182 or Toby Keith, not Mozart.

http://www.mozartproject.org/biography/index.html

Yeah, you're right, "crap" is a little harsh. But it's exactly what you say about 'musicianship', sure Mozart was a better musician, sure it's all better when you judge its musical technique and stuff, but I always thought it's wrong to judge music by musicianship, by technique, by ingeniousness. Frankly, I think it's far more ingenious when you're not that good a musician, you only know 3 chords, or something, and you're still capable of moving me. Does it move me or not, that's the only thing I think you should judge music by, not musicianship. And Mozart doesn't move me, so I always get upset when people are saying he's so much better than anything else, 'cuz I don't care how good a musician is, technically. I hate that kind of arrogance from people who love classical music, 'cause the arguments they use is just bullshit in my opinion. Sure he made over 600 works, but none of those works gets me crying like 'I will be there when you die' does.

But hey, all due respect... Let's just love music. Any music. :)
I'm ready when you are

yo, mozart rocks as there wouldn't BE any rock n' roll without him.  mozart wrote music for the masses instead of for royalty, which by itself laid the groundwork for the way people (in western cultures) viewed music.  like painting, composers used to be paid "patronages" to write symphonies to kings and dukes and whatnot...

but I agree, all music rocks.  when I'm playing "smoke on the water" on a kazoo, that rocks.  when someone on the elevator is humming "two tickets to paradise", that rocks.  short of nickelback, staind, and the aforementioned toby keith, it's all good.

ycartrob

Well O, I would be right there with you when you talk about, "I Will Be There When You Die" b/c something about when Jim sings "I was born in east Kentucky..." makes my skin tingle (perhaps it IS The Way That he Sings? :D) and next to Strangulation is my favorite MMJ song. The first time I saw them play in Nashville, Jim was alone on stage, coming up to my favorite line (and you could hear a pin drop at the Exit/In) and some guy in the crowd said, "Man, you know how stupid you look up there?" Talk about a buzz kill...My point? Christinia Agulieria will sell millions and millions of records and tickets and MANY will cry and say her music touched them. That's cool. AND Kieth Richard's Guitar licks on "Monkey Man" have more soul and energy than the ENTIRE Madonna catalog. AND I did not get into classical music until I was 30, barreling down I-20 in Mississippi, listening to Beethoven's 2nd Symphony, for the fist time, really listening to it loud, going 90 MPH and thinking, "This is better than music!" BUT, I am the guy who owns 21 Rush CD's and have to listen to everyone say how bad Rush sux (And I got butterflies thinking of them opening their 30th Anniversary Tour in Nashville tonight! My 6th time to see them dating back to 1980) and I just quit defending them b/c it's just music, and you are exactly right, it's what MOVES you. SOMETIMES, classical music moves me as much as The Beatles, as much as Black Flag, as much as Willie Nelson, as much as John Coltrane, as much as Metallica, as much as Galaxie 500, as much as Hank Snow, as much as Pavement, as much as Joni Mitchell, as much as Wilco, as much as PJ Harvey, as much as Yo La Tengo, as much as Jeff Beck, as much as Black Sabbath, as much as Josh Rouse, as much as Frank Black, as much as The Replacements, etc...
Just hoping to turn you one of my favorite music styles. Peace, out. :)

marktwain

It's all a matter of taste:  some people like their peanut butter with jelly, some like it with bananas.

I never got into classical music until I saw the movie "32 short films about Glenn Gould"  Amazing!!  I snatched up the soundtrack, and listened to nothing else for 2 weeks.
I still don't know much about classical, but I know there is some that I like, and that moves me.

My pet peeve is when folks write off an entire genre without giving it a chance, as in "I like everything... except country (or hip-hop, or pop, or whatever)."   Man, you've got to TRY peanut butter and bananas before you dismiss it!

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteIt's all a matter of taste:  some people like their peanut butter with jelly, some like it with bananas.

I never got into classical music until I saw the movie "32 short films about Glenn Gould"  Amazing!!  I snatched up the soundtrack, and listened to nothing else for 2 weeks.
I still don't know much about classical, but I know there is some that I like, and that moves me.

My pet peeve is when folks write off an entire genre without giving it a chance, as in "I like everything... except country (or hip-hop, or pop, or whatever)."   Man, you've got to TRY peanut butter and bananas before you dismiss it!

You got that right.  Like the song says "I'll try most anything in my life, those thing I like, I'll try 'em twice"
I still enjoy pulling out Patsy Cline on occasion or sometimes a cut from "Fear of a Black Planet" hits the spot.  I know I can't listen to 2 things tho' 1)top 40--I dated a girl that liked nothing but and I never got into it and 2) any present day rap/hip-hop--just to annoying and raunchy