Main Menu

Townes Van Zandt

Started by whothrewthecake, Oct 05, 2005, 10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whothrewthecake

he's of my favorites. any thoughts on this awesome singer/songwriter?

EC

Quotehe's of my favorites. any thoughts on this awesome singer/songwriter?

I love that dude.  Part of it might be that he reminds me of a good friend of mine.  I love his songs.  Waiting Around to Die might be my favourite...  Not sure.  I try not to analyze with him how come I love him so much, but I just find his songs pretty simple and truthful.  They're sad, they're about stuff, they're about people, you can relate to them.  I think The Nashville Sessions is my favourite.  I found an awesome two-disc set of his at Ear X-Tacy in June.  I think Emmylou's on there, too...  

whothrewzecake, have I asked you before if you've seen Heartworn Highways?  Loads of Townes in there.  Really incredible footage. :)

whothrewthecake

whothrewzecake, have I asked you before if you've seen Heartworn Highways? ÊLoads of Townes in there. ÊReally incredible footage. :)

i haven't seen that!! i need to. i also want to see that new movie coming out, be here to love me.
he makes me happy.

dragonboy

Now we're talking!
I Love Townes Van Zandt!!!

I've always been a huge Steve Earle fan & Steve is famous for saying he would dance on Bob Dylans' coffee table to proclaim Townes the greatest songwriter of all time.
Reading this made me think I need to check Townes out.

I had a couple of his CDs & ended up buying the 4CD box-set because I loved them so much!
Live at the Old Quarter is a must buy & At My Window is an underated classic.

Heartworn Highways is excellent & I'm still waiting for the documentary movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423853/

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

What's are your favourite Townes tracks?

High, Low & inbetween has some of my favs:

You Are Not Needed Now & To Live is To Fly are beautiful songs + No Deal still makes me laugh when I hear it.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

whothrewthecake

i really like columbine. i love his duet with doug sahm, two girls. but he has a lot of good ones!  :)

wordawg

Live at the Old Quarter is a must buy

wordragonboy.
the future is Ginger

Rabid_Washcloth

Hard to narrow it down, but Rex's Blues sticks out as one of my favorites.  The lines "there ain't no dark til something shines, I'm bound to leave this dark behind" hit me every time.

My next door neighbor still thanks me to this day for introducing him to TVZ's music.  My neighbor is a native Texan, from Houston no less.  He really should be ashamed for not knowing about him sooner.

dragonboy

Here's a link to the trailer for Be Here To Love Me + a short but very funny Guy Clark clip.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2678308?htv=12

:)

dragonboy

EC

Yeah.  I can't WAIT to see that.  Apparently they use a lot of footage that was used in Heartworn Highways.  

I just got my roommate hooked on him.  Man that dude can write a song.

ycartrob

QuoteHere's a link to the trailer for Be Here To Love Me + a short but very funny Guy Clark clip.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2678308?htv=12

:)

Saw the movie here in Nashville last week. Great footage but pretty sad.

dragonboy

Finally watched Be Here To Love Me last night & wanted to bump this thread.
The movie was great but like Tracy said, very sad.
Guy Clarke was good fun, I need to dig out my copy Old No 1/Texas Cooking.
I watched the movie & then listened to Our Mother The Mountain, Townes Van Zandt & High, Low & In Between back to back.

red

There seems to be a few different TVZ threads, but this is the one I'm calling up.  

dB (and anyone else out there) I'm thinking of expanding on my Texas Troubadour boxset (almost typed boxsex).  How's that Live at the Old Quarter album?  I really like the tracks from there that are on TT.  Or any other album I should be getting instead?

[smiley=thumbup.gif] (I'm using this guy a lot lately.)

dragonboy

QuoteThere seems to be a few different TVZ threads, but this is the one I'm calling up.  

dB (and anyone else out there) I'm thinking of expanding on my Texas Troubadour boxset (almost typed boxsex).  How's that Live at the Old Quarter album?  I really like the tracks from there that are on TT.  Or any other album I should be getting instead?

[smiley=thumbup.gif] (I'm using this guy a lot lately.)
Whenever I read an old post of mine I'm reminded of the fact that I overuse the exclamation mark  :-[
O! the excitement!!!  ;D

Live At The Old Quarter is excellent. In The Beginning is good too but my fav (that isn't on the boxset) is At My Window:

ManNamedTruth

Its really hard to find his music around here, for some reason. I only have For The Sake Of The Song. I really want to see that documentary.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

rob

QuoteIts really hard to find his music around here, for some reason. I only have For The Sake Of The Song. I really want to see that documentary.

If you do Netflix, they have the Be Here To Love Me doc.......great film.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

dragonboy

Steve Earle's tribute is out next week. I love both artists but I don't like either of the versions on Steve's myspace page (Lungs, P&L)

http://www.myspace.com/steveearlemusic