Fav Blues Artists/Albums

Started by dragonboy, May 23, 2008, 05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

That's very cool db. I'm not really a fan of post Thin Lizzy Gary Moore - he shreds too much - but anyone that's seen Albert King live is a king to me.

dragonboy

QuoteThat's very cool db. I'm not really a fan of post Thin Lizzy Gary Moore - he shreds too much - but anyone that's seen Albert King live is a king to me.
It was on the Still Got The Blues For You tour, which i think is his best solo album. I went 2 nights, Albert King joined him one night & Albert Collins joined him the other (both on the album)

You've seen Buddy Guy a few times, right? I seem to remember you saying you met him? I've only seen him once - amazing live show! I wish he'd come back to Japan...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ruckus

Great stuff on this thread!  I scrolled through the whole thing to make sure the one I drafted in the Desert Island Draft was still out there.

Simply Masterful!

Rock on!  It's with ole Buddy
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

dragonboy

QuoteGreat stuff on this thread!  I scrolled through the whole thing to make sure the one I drafted in the Desert Island Draft was still out there.

Simply Masterful!

Rock on!  It's with ole Buddy
Love that one!

I just ordered a Lightnin' Hopkins anthology (Chills/Serg put Sometimes She Will on a mix for me)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

QuoteI was @ this show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V48_CvbHP8
The first few minutes almost made me cry. holy shit, why couldn't I have been blessed to do THAT. Damn, that would have been a helluva show.

dragonboy

I don't own anything by him but Robert Cray is playing in my city this Friday. The man's a legend, I should go right? Tickets aren't cheap though, about $75.
Chris Thomas King (people will know him from O Brother, Where Art Thou) is on the bill too.

Any thoughts?

mjkoehler

Jaimoe

QuoteI don't own anything by him but Robert Cray is playing in my city this Friday. The man's a legend, I should go right? Tickets aren't cheap though, about $75.
Chris Thomas King (people will know him from O Brother, Where Art Thou) is on the bill too.

Any thoughts?

Robert Cray really should be bigger than what he is. Cray along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, brought the blues back into the mainstream, making it relevant in the 80s. And, how many bluesmen roll through Japan anyway?

$75 is fairly steep, but bluemen are showmen, so it will more than likely be a great night. I've seen Chris Thomas King in concert and he is great live. He'll contrast nicely with Cray's more Chicago style blues.

TheBigChicken

QuoteI don't own anything by him but Robert Cray is playing in my city this Friday. The man's a legend, I should go right? Tickets aren't cheap though, about $75.

Any thoughts?
As far as sound...as good as any show I've ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bupbE-i-IY
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

dragonboy

Two thumbs up from our resident blues experts Jaimoe & RC...I guess I need to empty the wallet!

(Thanks for the PM John!)

TheBigChicken

TheBigChicken

Waiting outside the backdoor at the Ga Theater in Athens Ga after a Cray show at the theater out walks RCray from the backdoor. I looked at him like I just saw a ghost and looked like a deer in the headlights. I barely lifted my hand to shake his and said hello Mr Cray. He shook my hand in stride and said hello and stepped aboard his bus. His bus was 15 feet from the back door of the venue. I was the only person to catch him. I watched from the back of the venue and took off for the door after the show. After the encounter I sprouted two golden wings out of my ass and flew home.

TheBigChicken

pjthom30

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal
Taj Mahal - Natch'l Blues

dragonboy

Vadie Stark

I really dig late 40s early 50s John Lee Hooker  8-)

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.