Background Info please

Started by Lockburner, May 12, 2009, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastplacemamma

Hey there, I have become completey obsessed with MMJ in the last year or so. Could someone please share a little background info on the meaning behind the Owl, Bear and other animal heads on stage. Does it mean something? Or is it just to play some fun games with the fans? I LOVE THIS BAND! :D
I'm smilin' too, I see myself in you.

Vadie Stark

All these animals attacked Jim in his Ky outhouse. They were killed simply for their heads
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Eastplacemamma

all of them? white tigers are the KY state animal ;)
or JJ smells like raw meat...which I doubt, I imagine he smells like teen spirit.

the sun and moon

Quoteall of them? white tigers are the KY state animal ;)
or JJ smells like raw meat...which I doubt, I imagine he smells like teen spirit.

no, like desert rain mmm.

Love Dogg

I can't say I know for sure what they mean, but I do want to welcome you and your enthusiasm to the Forum.  :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

lasvegas

patrick use to be a hunter, until 'the accident' in '88.

let's just say that bear had something to do with it.

he only eats bacon now...for every meal.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Vadie Stark

I heard that owl used to swoop in and turn Jim's reverb down.It was more of a mercy killing.
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Angry Ewok

I heard Bo used his bass to snipe bats out of the sky with plasma bolts of rhythm. Like a well groomed long archer... could blot out the sun, or some such.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

goodjam2bn

The spirits of native americans who originally lived in the Kentucky area still dwell there with unresolved issues. In a subliminal manner from the neatherworld they are able to persuade the use of the images of the sacred owl and bear and other animals significant to their lore without our awareness.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

Eastplacemamma

Thanks everyone, I feel so much clearer now  :P
Love Dog and Good Jam...thank you

ManNamedTruth

The bear is the band's spirit animal, a shaman told Jim this.

In shamanism bears are totem animals or power animals. This takes us to the very source of 'nature in motion', the summer solstice, shamanism, the rhythm of drumming, sweat lodges and cleansing, as we meditate, initiate, and activate our DNA to uncover our lost wisdom and soul's purpose.
Bears hibernate in the winter, which may explain their association with "dreaming the Great Spirit" or retrospection. The symbolism of the Bear's cave reflects returning to the womb of Mother Earth. [A Cave is an archetype for the mind - sleep - returning to higher consciousness.] This also suggests a strong feminine aspect, one of nurturing and protection. Bear cubs, born in the early spring, can spend as many as seven years with their mother before reaching maturity. People with Bear Medicine are considered by many as self-sufficient, and would rather stand on their own two feet than rely on others. They are often considered dreamers. Many have developed the skill of visualizing new things, but as a result can get caught up in the dreaming, making little progress in waking reality. Bear's medicine includes introspection, healing, solitude, wisdom, change, communication with Spirit, death and rebirth, transformation, astral travel, creature of dreams, shamans and mystics.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Eastplacemamma

umm, thanks for  all that! I am the mother of 2 young children and have OFTEN refered to myself as a Mother Bear...starting to make more sense.

jmk

My female friends call me Bear, due to my large stature and beard. I've come to realize it's a fucking sweet nickname.

Jeremy -----> JerBear ----> Bear

goodjam2bn

After watching the Okokonos DVD I was enlightened. They are party animals! and the Bear is at the top of the food chain and the alpaca is always smiling.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

ChronicHunger

QuoteMy female friends call me Bear, due to my large stature and beard. I've come to realize it's a fucking sweet nickname.

Jeremy -----> JerBear ----> Bear
It seems we share this same problem

Angry Ewok

Damn, we're not very helpful at all.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

vespachick

Did you know that  group of owls is called a parliament?  Yep. I learned it on Cash Cab.  

I wonder what the group of funkadelic includes. :-?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Janet

Psychotropics.  Lots and lots of psychotropics.   :D