Main Menu

The Mother Hips

Started by pawpaw, Dec 23, 2010, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

The whole weekend rocked, of course.  The box set just came out and they did some songs from that they haven't played in a long time like Verses of Mark and Don't Go So Fast.  The backyard party show was all old songs.  They played for 90 minutes before the cops shut it down.  Sierra Nevada brought a '69 VW bus with three taps on the outside with three different brews.   The party was in my buddy's backyard, all friends and old fans and the band hanging out in the warm summer evening.  A once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure.

http://www.the-grotto.com/talk/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=14988&message=58845

The bike ride treated us to mini-concerts by Tim and Greg acoustic unamplified and Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers with a keg of Sierra Nevada at the band's old band house on Chestnut Street.

http://www.the-grotto.com/talk/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=14986&message=58818

The El Rey show was epic, with the old rhythm section and their old keyboardist sitting it.
http://www.the-grotto.com/talk/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=14984&message=58816

I can't think of any bands more generous to their fans than My Morning Jacket, Wilco and The Mother Hips.  The Hips went above and beyond for this weekend and it was superb.  Here are a few thoughts of mine:

What makes a Mother Hips show exceptional to me is a very intangible hard-to-pin-down thing. For me, in these days, it has more to do with the subtleties of band member interactions, the depth of the grooves, how they are locking in together and weaving around one another as much as it does with overt hard rocking out. There was all of that, though, in spades at the El Rey show on Sat. Tim and Greg's vocals were so right on all night long, they seem to get better and better at singing together as the years go on and that is a "wonderous thing" indeed. I've said it before many times, Tim and Greg are a singing team easily on the same level as The Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, The Bee Gees, the Louvins, etc. They are probably too humble and too biased to be able to admit the validity of those lofty comparisons, but it's so damn true, its undeniable. They were singing their asses off, just incredibly smooth and harmonious.

There also seemed to be an extra abundance of musical interaction on this night, with the musicians urging one another on, pushing the jams to higher levels of intensity, and generally engaging in musical conversations of collective ensemble rock. Greg in particular, was animated, striking guitar hero stances, sporting rock facial expressions, and at times working his guitar like a mad scientist, scraping strings to get spooky gnarly wails and groans out of it. At one point he stood over by the keyboards for a few moments staring eye to eye with Eisenberg, maybe showing him some little riff that Danny picked right up on and then plunged right back into a jam. Other times he was leaning over, bending strings hard, and holding some twisted chord while Tim towered right over him, like they were duelists engaging in a give-and-take battle of guitar tones. Tim was also engaged, listening carefully, hanging close to Scott, and filling in the spaces with riffs and chords or hitting some unison guitar part with Greg. The band was on fire and they made it look effortless, all the communication done through the music.

Having Isaac and Wofchuck sit in was just an incredible surge of joy. Both of them smiling all night long, it was totally clear they were loving being back in the band for a short while. And they sounded like they hadn't been out of the band a day. This is a rhythm section that was meant to be together. I think their time playing Zeppelin covers in The Keystones rubbed off, because there was some mighty rhythms being laid down, swinging, grooving, and hitting hard; tight but loose, as they used to say about Zeppelin.
I also can't say enough good things about Danny Eisenberg's playing. I truly believe he is one of the finest rock 'n' roll Hammond organ players I've ever heard. Having him on stage with the Hips is, in my mind, an incredible stroke of good fortune. There is nothing quite like Danny tearing into a surging organ crescendo and he was killing it on this night. He adds so much to the sound of the Hips, and I'm so grateful he came up to make the show. The portions of the show with the original lineup plus Danny was like getting in a time machine and hearing the Hips like I never thought I'd hear them again, what a fucking treasure. I hope they release a DVD of this show, it was recorded audio and video.

There were many great and emotion-laden moments that stick out in my mind: Molly's heartfelt introductions, Tim thanking Ike and Mike for the essential role they played in making all incarnations of the Mother Hips possible, Molly's pants with the Mother Hips logo on the ass and her butt-shaking dance during Mother Hips, and the way Hofer and Wofchuck interacted in the dual drummer sections of the show. I wasn't sure that one would work, with their wildly different drumming styles, but they turned differences into complementary brilliance, combining Hofer's machine-like perfect time-keeping and Mike's wildly passionate outbursts into one powerhouse drum sound.

But for me, the best moment of all was at the end of the show, when Tim and Greg, after singing a duet of Stories We Could Tell, a poignant and utterly appropriate summation of their musical career together, embraced one another arms around shoulders as they walked off the stage. I could only imagine what they were feeling as they reflected back on and celebrated 20 years of being musical brothers, going way back to when they were just freshman kids in college stretching to what will surely be a lifetime partnership. As Wofchuck said keeping a dream alive for 20 years is a really big deal and something to be very proud of and grateful for. God bless the Mother Hips, all present and past members, and thank you so much for all the joy and pleasure that you have given us. Words really are not enough to express the depth of my gratitude.

bbill, have fun at the Belly Up this weekend, I think the vibe of two weekends ago will carry over and they will play a great show.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Penny Lane

AWESOME!  just starting to get into the skinny singers...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

Well, I'd like to nominate Shug's as post-of-the year. I know we've still got a few months to go, but nobody's going to beat that.  8)

I'm still kicking myself for missing that Chico weekend...damn weddings. People get so selfish sometimes, having weddings during prime concert season.  ;D

I'm getting really excited for this weekend! The guys I'll be down there with are great friends that I went to school (in Chico) with in the late 90s/early 00s, and we saw many great Hips shows together (LaSalles!). We all agreed that the Chico weekend would've been a more fitting, more meaningful bachelor party, but we just couldn't make it work.

Thanks for your write up! I just feel like the bike ride, the backyard show and the El Rey show are a perfect nod to Chico - summing up so much of what I used to love about it and thought made it such a great town. It's such a special place, and I love that the Hips chose to do their Anniversary festivities in that way.

Hey Shug, you coming up to SF for the December MMJ show?

Hi Penny! Let us know what you think of Skinny Singers!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jon T.

Quote from: bbill on Sep 20, 2011, 09:30 AM
Well, I'd like to nominate Shug's as post-of-the year. I know we've still got a few months to go, but nobody's going to beat that.  8)

I don't know the first thing about The Mother Hips, but I enjoyed reading that write up!

Listening to "Do it on the Strings" now.

Shug

Glad you guys enjoyed the write-up!  There are lots of YouTube videos of all the festivities if you do a little digging on The Grotto (the links above lead you there).

There was also a free show downtown on Sunday afternoon in front of Tres Hombres as part of a food festival.  The Hips were pointing out the locations of all the downtown bars they used to play, most of which aren't there any more.  I didn't make that one because we had to get back to Phoenix to see JJ Grey and Mofro (who also blew the doors off the place yet again), so there were three Hips shows in three days, plus the mini concerts on the bike ride.

Here's Chum from the backyard party  Mother Hips - Chum@Zanes.mov   The sound quality doesn't really do it justice, of course.  You gotta see the Mother Hips live.

Here's Stephanie's For LA.  I love this song.  Mother Hips-Stephanie's for L.A.@ Zane's.MOV

Why does the word "molli" get auto-converted to "winnie the pooh" in my post?  I switched it back to "molli" and it got switched back to winnie the pooh again.  Is it something about  the slang name for a certain illegal substance? Weird.

bbill, thanks for the props!  not sure I'll be up in SF for either MMJ or the Hips.  I'm going to see the Hips in Pioneertown at Pappy and Harriet's in November and I'm going to see MMJ in Los Angeles.  The Bay Area is a long haul from AZ.  maybe I'll make the Hips holiday shows at the Great American Music Hall if things work out. Too bad you and your buds could not swing the bachelor party in Chico, that would have been over the top for you.  Yeah, it was a Chico-love fest.  Many of the fans were dorm mates with the Mother Hips, they were all freshman together, so you can imagine how nostalgic it was for them all.

wonderpiece

so excited to see a mother hips thread on an MMJ messageboard! goodie goodie. i'll be the bellyup selling merch for the band so if any of you's are going, come say hi! i'll be at hermosa too, but not selling merch that night cuz the merch table is not inside where i can see the show teehee.

no praise for the mother hips will ever be enough, from my perspective. high-quality dudes who've put their 10,000+ hours in to be masters at what they do. LOVE THEM FOREVZ!

Shug

Right on, wonderpiece.  So true, the Hips deserve more acclaim than they have received.  We are a small but intensely devoted group of fans, huh?   Do you hang out on The Grotto, too? What is your screen name over there?  Will you be at Pappy and Harriet's in November? 

pawpaw

Hey wonderpiece, I'll be down at the show in Solana Beach tomorrow night! I'll find you at the merch table and say hi! I'm going to be there with a gang of rowdy Chico guys, so watch out!

Are the box sets going to be available at the show?

pawpaw

Hi wonderpiece, what'd you think of the shows over the weekend? I stopped by the merch table at the Belly Up, but you weren't the woman I was talking to (curly blonde hair), and didn't see anyone else there. We had an AWESOME TIME!!! The whole weekend down in San Diego was unreal, and the Hips show was the highlight.

What was the venue in Hermosa Beach like?

lucylew

Just announced - Jackie Greene is playing Chrystal Bay, NV on 12/30/11 with the Mother Hips opening!  I've got to make it to that show!

pawpaw

Quote from: lucylew on Dec 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
Just announced - Jackie Greene is playing Chrystal Bay, NV on 12/30/11 with the Mother Hips opening!  I've got to make it to that show!

You should go! It'll be a great time, and that's a fun place to see a show too. We got invited to go but can't make it.

Happy New Year!  :beer:

Shug

Bumpin' this thread for Blucas, in case he's checking, in an attempt to convince him to come to the Hips show at the Compound Grill in Phoenix on Mar. 22nd!  They are also playing Pappy and Harriet's in Joshua Tree again the very next night, that's a fun venue...

blucas

Wow, by chance, I needed a break from beating my head against the wall at work and therefore was checkin'.  Between the bump, the PM and the "long and winding" writeup that I am assuming DID get the final nod for "post of the year"  8), how could I pass on this show in my back yard.  I look forward to finally meeting you Shug!   :bath:

I don't think it has been settled as to what the bathtub means, but it feels like I should bust it out in commemoration of this confluence of circumstances!
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Shug

pawpaw

Hey, have fun guys!

I've got a show coming up too, March 10th in Folsom. Lucy, that's practically in your backyard! You and your fella should come out - my wife and I will be there!

pawpaw

Hey Northeasterners, the Mother Hips are heading out your way for 4 shows starting tonight! They don't play out there that often, so check them out! Any MMJ fan would love these guys!

Nov 28 Middle East Cambridge, MA

Nov 29 Highline Ballroom New York, NY

Nov 30 The Blockley Philadelphia, PA 

Dec 01 8x10 Baltimore, MD

Ruckus, you still going?!

Ruckus

Quote from: bbill on Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hey Northeasterners, the Mother Hips are heading out your way for 4 shows starting tonight! They don't play out there that often, so check them out! Any MMJ fan would love these guys!

Nov 28 Middle East Cambridge, MA

Nov 29 Highline Ballroom New York, NY

Nov 30 The Blockley Philadelphia, PA 

Dec 01 8x10 Baltimore, MD

Ruckus, you still going?!
I don't believe I am.  I've been asked to work Saturday night and holiday cash never hurt.  Just bad timing plus I wish they were headlining.  I'm not sure catching 45 minutes of them would be worth it.  May be a last minute decision.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

STOKED!  :cool:

While details are still being worked out the MOTHER HIPS are proud to announce that they will be releasing their 8th Studio Album in Late May or Early June. Album Title and release details still being worked out and details will follow with regular weekly updates. The Band will be playing a series of shows around the release date in late June . They will support the album with as many National Dates as possible in the Late Summer and Fall, with as many shows mixed in between as possible. The band is making plans to visit the Southeast, Midwest, and Northeast with stops in Nashville, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Denver just to name a few. Hoping to play as many new towns as possible so please let us know if you want the Hips in your town. And if you have a local record store please let us know what it is so we can make sure to get the records in your area. Many Thanks to our Engineer DSB (David Simon Baker) for all his hard work!!

zanjam

bbill are you going to any of the TXR shows?  We are going on Sat.
anything + reverb always = better

Penny Lane

Looks like Nicki bluhm will be playing the Newport Folk Fest  :smiley:
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill