Palin's Bra: Support for Quitters (of nicotine delivery products)

Started by johnnYYac, Jan 01, 2011, 11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

Quote from: bluesky on Jan 05, 2011, 01:31 PM
5. checked out smokers when i was out and about and noticed how they looked and how others behaved around them. the smoke distance.

I noticed at a job once that when I went outside around smokers that all they did was bitch and complain about work and everything. Then I stayed inside with the nonsmokers and they were just happier. No joke. I never went outside with the smokers again.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

Hawkeye

Still goin' strong!  Haven't had one since New Year's Eve.  Had a few urges after having a few beers one night, but I didn't have any cigs on me.  Tonight will be the first big test:  dart league.  I'm still allowing myself to smoke herb (I don't smoke often), so I may smoke just a little of that, but shooting for no cigs.  Lots of chewing gum should help.
We could.

Ruckus

Day 5...I've been here so many times before.  I just need to make it through the 1st couple of nights throwing back bourbon with the boys.  Working out, not drinking, not smoking!?  Is this real life!?

Keep it up Hawkeye!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

aMillionDreams

I'm back up to a pack a day.  My deadline for quitting is in a week and it's going to be tough to make it.  You guys are very inspiring though.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Jan 06, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm back up to a pack a day.  My deadline for quitting is in a week and it's going to be tough to make it.  You guys are very inspiring though.
Good luck man!  Throw out your pack, somehow grind through tomorrow, then house arrest over the weekend and maybe Monday work will be doable. :)

ALady

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 06, 2011, 02:16 PM
Good luck man!  Throw out your pack, somehow grind through tomorrow, then house arrest over the weekend and maybe Monday work will be doable. :)

This is such good advice - when I was quitting, I'd buy a pack when I was craving and then get so mad at myself for caving, I'd force myself to flush the rest of the pack (don't just toss it in the garbage, 'cause you know you'll fish 'em out!  ;D)  Cigs were $10 a pack here then, so then I'd be extra mad at myself for wasting the money...anyway, eventually it worked.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Crispy

The cost is what has made me quit -- although I feel bad for posting here because I really haven't quit. But the only tobacco I will buy is the *good* roll-your-own kind: halfzware shag Drum or Bali-Shag. The thing is, the little packets of those are over $12 now and the cans are over $30. And since the only place I can find those are on the internet, I haven't bought any in a couple months, so no smoking for me. Which was a real trial on my drives to and from Christmas in Texas -- the only times I ever have urges to smoke are when I drive and when I'm drinking at the bar. I am still guilty of bumming smokes then, but I resolve to stop that, thinking of the much more difficult efforts of you good people..
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

tdb810

You will do this when you are ready AMD, and I think you are almost there. It's a series of stops and starts and lessons...you will know what to do when you are ready.  So much of it is about confidence, at least it was for me. For too long my thought was that I wouLdn't ever be able to do it....the days were just too long. But that changed and just having the belief that it was a possibility was huge for me.
Also I know I am a broken record, but nicotine replacement therapy doubles your chances of being successful!  Keep the faith ;D
.....Back at the Model Home

johnnYYac

Day 6.  Hangin' in there.  Losing some fingernails to the cause.  Don't give up.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 06, 2011, 08:59 PM
Day 6.  Hangin' in there.  Losing some fingernails to the cause.  Don't give up.

Why not drink a delicious beer to take the edge off?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jan 06, 2011, 09:50 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 06, 2011, 08:59 PM

Why not drink a delicious beer to take the edge off?
I'm on it!  And then some...

the_wizzard

Quote from: ALady on Jan 06, 2011, 03:33 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 06, 2011, 02:16 PM

This is such good advice - when I was quitting, I'd buy a pack when I was craving and then get so mad at myself for caving, I'd force myself to flush the rest of the pack (don't just toss it in the garbage, 'cause you know you'll fish 'em out!  ;D)  Cigs were $10 a pack here then, so then I'd be extra mad at myself for wasting the money...anyway, eventually it worked.
OMG Alady!  Never once in a million years would I ever think to admit to anyone that I fished out packs of smokes from the trash.  Yet, in all my failed attempts at quitting, I always did!  Yick and yuck!  Amd, I bought a pack after my first week on Chantix (it is the week you are allowed to smoke).  I smoked one and then poured water into the pack and threw it away.  I repeated this for 2 days.  I have not had a smoke since and picked up month #2's prescription tonight.  If you can get a scrip for it, I really suggest trying Chantix.  I was a hopeless, guilty smoker until I started.  Now I am on my 18th day of no smokes.  I still have some habitual cravings, especially due to stress.  But I get through them and feel better once they pass.  Don't give up, you can do it.  I have faith in you. 

bluesky

Trish you made me think of something from when I quit and really felt I had it down. I gained a huge amount of confidence from the experience. Felt like I could take on the world!

Quote from: tdb810 on Jan 06, 2011, 08:07 PM
You will do this when you are ready AMD, and I think you are almost there. It's a series of stops and starts and lessons...you will know what to do when you are ready.  So much of it is about confidence, at least it was for me. For too long my thought was that I wouLdn't ever be able to do it....the days were just too long. But that changed and just having the belief that it was a possibility was huge for me.
Also I know I am a broken record, but nicotine replacement therapy doubles your chances of being successful!  Keep the faith ;D

Hawkeye

I got fairly drunk last night and had 2...d'oh!  I tried justifying it by saying "if i only have 2 a week, that's not bad..."  I dunno.  If I could keep it to that (and I think I could), it's not the end of the world, but it'd be better to not smoke at all.
We could.

Ruckus

Sadly sitting at home on a Friday night ordering in food after working out because I fear that I will smoke if I go out with friends.  Day 6 and I'm feeling good.  I promised myself that I won't consume a beverage until Das Racist next Thursday and I intend to follow through.  For the 1st time ever, I've been losing weight while quitting.  Keep up the good work everyone.  It hurts knowing that no matter what, I'll always be a day behind Johnny ;)

woodnymph

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 07, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sadly sitting at home on a Friday night ordering in food after working out because I fear that I will smoke if I go out with friends.  Day 6 and I'm feeling good.  I promised myself that I won't consume a beverage until Das Racist next Thursday and I intend to follow through.  For the 1st time ever, I've been losing weight while quitting.  Keep up the good work everyone.  It hurts knowing that no matter what, I'll always be a day behind Johnny ;)
Well done sir!! You're right on track!  Def. sounds like a really good idea to hang at your hacienda for the night, definitely much easier on you without any added pressures around ya I'm sure.  :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
Well done sir!! You're right on track!  Def. sounds like a really good idea to hang at your hacienda for the night, definitely much easier on you without any added pressures around ya I'm sure.  :)
Thanks a bunch Woody!  I'm sure some nerve calming botanical concoction would be very helpful right now.

woodnymph

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 07, 2011, 10:17 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks a bunch Woody!  I'm sure some nerve calming botanical concoction would be very helpful right now.
Oh man I could SO hook you up for sure. Actually not a bad idea to stop by a health food store and check out some of their stock... if you like tea, there's some pretty good ones that could ease ya up a bit.

If anyone's REALLY feeling ambitious, there are even a couple "smokers' cleanse" type of formulas that just help move some of the funk out of  your system a little quicker... one thing at a time, the quitting is the biggest step! But just thought I'd put it out there, seeing that I look at these things all the time....
Ch-check it outtt

http://www.renewlife.com/smokers-cleanse.html

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

johnnYYac

If it makes you feel any better, I actually had my last cigarette at 1:40 am on Jan. 1.  I destroyed the remaining 5 cigs in my pack and went to bed.  I'm still considering Jan. 1 my first day smoke-free, from the moment I awoke later that morning.  So that would make today day 8 in my book, but I'll call it day 7 just for you.

Call it what you want... 1 week smoke-free!  Woooo- cough, cough- oooooo!