Top 50 Guitar Riffs, and not one MMJ song is on the list

Started by el_chode, Jan 14, 2011, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

There should be at least 10 zeppelin songs on there.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

You know what, I actually think that's a pretty damn good list! Stones at #1!  8) You could always pick these things apart, but as internet lists go, this one is solid, imo.

(Hey, we got our old emoticons back! I like my laughing guy to actually laugh!  ;D Thanks CC)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

el_chode

Quote from: bbill on Jan 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
You know what, I actually think that's a pretty damn good list! Stones at #1!  8) You could always pick these things apart, but as internet lists go, this one is solid, imo.

(Hey, we got our old emoticons back! I like my laughing guy to actually laugh!  ;D Thanks CC)

It's against the law of the Internet to not complain about a list though. Sure, this is pretty good. But as far as Stones riffs go, I think Can You Hear Me Knocking or Brown Sugar are way better than their choice. But then again...it's hard to argue with prominence. It is an iconic riff.

pawpaw

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 14, 2011, 05:43 PM

It's against the law of the Internet to not complain about a list though. Sure, this is pretty good. But as far as Stones riffs go, I think Can You Hear Me Knocking or Brown Sugar are way better than their choice. But then again...it's hard to argue with prominence. It is an iconic riff.

Yeah, half the riffs off of Sticky Fingers are better than Satisfaction. But it's the prominence, the impact of that fuzzed out Satisfaction riff. They got it right.

Maybe I'm just being lazy.  ;D
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 14, 2011, 05:43 PM

even gimme shelter is sweeter than satisfaction.  it always blows my mind when bands like nirvana start popping up on "best guitar" lists.   the top 25 is less offensive than 26-50.

el_chode

I can understand Nirvana though. Maybe not in the traditional sense of the word riff (where All Apologies is a better fit), but there are three that have no business up there

• Muse - included to be the writer's attempt at seeming relevant and bestowing acknowledgment on a band on the verge of losing credibility (or maybe already lost it)
  • Sleater-Kinney - that's not a riff, and its not memorable. Stop trying to make the list "diverse" when it doesn't need to be.
  • The Byrds - Tamborine Man is not a riff. I'm not saying that no one from that band never went on to make anything riff-worthy. But that's just not anything belonging on this list
I'd also submit that Freak Scene is a better Dino Jr song to include, but the writer probably never heard anything else by them that wasn't on the Spike Jonze' greatest video hits DVD

el_chode

Also, I don't think that the writer/writers had heard many songs by T. Rex

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

there are tons of guitarists that aren't on that list that should be.  it reminds me of those rolling stone "best songs everz" lists where Dylan's "Like a rolling stone" is always number one.   these lists would be way more interesting if they actually explored the different bands catalogs more.  I'm tired of all the "hits", gimme some deep cuts yo.

el_chode

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jan 14, 2011, 09:04 PM
there are tons of guitarists that aren't on that list that should be.  it reminds me of those rolling stone "best songs everz" lists where Dylan's "Like a rolling stone" is always number one.   these lists would be way more interesting if they actually explored the different bands catalogs more.  I'm tired of all the "hits", gimme some deep cuts yo.

In fairness to a "riffs" list, I think that a riff can make a good song great and often the driving reasons a song gets popular. It's the part that gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out, but you don't care.

It's less about the playing and more about the writing. Though I'm surprised there's no Soundgarden or Alice in Chains

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jan 14, 2011, 09:04 PM

In fairness to a "riffs" list, I think that a riff can make a good song great and often the driving reasons a song gets popular. It's the part that gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out, but you don't care.

It's less about the playing and more about the writing. Though I'm surprised there's no Soundgarden or Alice in Chains

even so, a song like Paint It Black's riff is far superior to Satisfaction.  I really don't know a lot about the stones but I'd say the same about the Zeppelin song choice.  They chose a mediocre song over a genius song.

I would have liked to see Beck's song "loser" make the list.  but that's a slide guitar riff so maybe it doesn't count. 

My problem with Nirvana is they're a derivative of the pixies and stuff that came before.  their riffs are as catchy as hot crossed buns.    Nirvana reminds me of heroin.   Blind Melon "No Rain" is a catchy riff.  some of their choices are nice. Radiohead should have made the list. 

I 100percent agree with you about Sleater-Kinney and the Muse.  horrible horrible choices that do not even deserve consideration for such a list.

el_chode

I never got into Nirvana either, and I feel like any magazine feels some obscene need to include Teen Spirit.

With that said, I still think that All Apologies is a better choice if we have to have Nirvana. I always thought Nirvana was more derivative of Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney than Pixies. To me, Pixies are the reason for Weezer.

So while we're talking Pixies - Here Comes Your Man seems to be a perfect fit for the list

Here Comes Your Man - Pixies

or the only Pixies song that magazines care about:

The Pixies : Where Is My Mind (1988)

And if we're gonna go with more 90s-era songs than late 80s:

Violent Femmes- Blister in the Sun

And Loser should definitely count.