Main Menu

Cupertino?

Started by johnnYYac, Jan 25, 2011, 11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Hey forum folks.

So, my wife is being recruited by Apple.  Its far from certain, but we may find ourselves moving to Cupertino, CA.  Any insights on Apple as an employer or the area?  I'm a NH native and the wife's from a Chicago suburb.  It would be a big change on so many fronts.  Thought I'd start preparing myself for the possibility of big change, even though its early in the process.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

The Jacket doesnt play out west all that much...Id probably put your foot down  ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

My only insight is that in the cult of steve, his recent health problems seems to have an unnatural effect on that company's effect on the world. I don't know why.

Eitherway, I'd love to because I heard they're both one of those "fun new companies" and still strange in their modes of secrecy.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

congrats (maybe), Johnny!!
so that's the reason my iphone's temp was set to Cupertino!? good luck to the MRS. we'll miss you at the east coast shows if you go..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

Its funny what Scotty and Christine are saying, as my first thought (after moving, the impact on my kids, my job, our extended families, etc.) was "how will this impact my ability to catch MMJ and the like?" 

I get the impression that working for Apple could be more life-changing for her and, by extension, me than most other job changes.  The thing is, I am generally anti-Apple.  I HATE iTunes and am not a Mac fan either.  She would be helping them manage toxic compounds used in manufacturing their products (she's a PhD toxicologist).  The good news is, as a science teacher, I can plug in to just about any community.

She likes the job description, the money is GREAT (I might even do the stay-at-home Dad thing for a while), but moving to the other side of the country and forging new social connections for us and the kids is daunting.  And the grandparents... boy, will they be unhappy.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you had experience living in that area or working for Apple.  I'm guessing the chance of her getting the job offer is 50:50 and the chance of her accepting is 50:50, so its more likely we'll stay put.  The idea of change is strangely enticinng, however.

Penny Lane

No experience living there or working for Apple, but I do know if I could plant myself anywhere in this country, it would be the SF area. Not sure how you can pass that up, Johnny! You can always do it for a couple years and come back..the cold weather will be waiting for you. Also, with all the new job money, you can fly back here for any of the important shows. Jet Blue! You have beautiful mountains out there, wilderness, the Fillmore..I think it sounds great. Plus My iphone already is set to that temp, so if I come visit, I'll already know what to pack..

Penny Lane

johnnYYac

Yesterday, Cupertino was 69 degrees.  Newport, NH?  About 10 degrees!  Hmmmmmmm.

walterfredo

come on over to sunny California!

Cupertino is in a pretty great area, right by Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, great places along the coast, and BIG SUR!!!! 

Crispy

I think I've said elsewhere which body parts I would sacrifice to live in that very area, so if you get the chance and don't pull the trigger, I will haunt your dreams. But really, leaving home is tough, so best wishes, whatever happens.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

TheBigChicken

REDWOODS :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

pawpaw

Cupertino is a nice town, though be prepared to pay heavily to buy a house anywhere near that part of Santa Clara county. I've met a few folks who've worked at Apple over the years, and all of them couldn't have been happier to have landed a job there. Cupertino also has a strong public school system (by CA standards anyway, which may not be sayin' much), if you choose to send your kids and/or work there.

You'd be right near Shoreline Amphitheatre, and a short trip down 101 from San Francisco. Plus, that pocket of the Bay Area probably has the best weather of the region, imo. You'd be a short drive from the coast, and have a lot of fun stuff to do nearby. Best of luck to you and your family! I say, DO IT!  :)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

e_wind

I have no wife, no kids, and am in college, so I know it's a definitely a different situation - but I would move over there in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I applied and got into a school in San Diego a while back, but its too damn expensive. I would kill to move some where cool/warmer.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Well, the interview was yesterday, so we'll see.  Michele's not optimistic, as it sounds like they're looking for a set of skills that is hard to find.  She comes close so its still a possibility.

The housing costs are unreal.  We have a 2000 sq. ft. colonial w/2 car garage on 3 acres we bought new in 2003 for $230,000 here in NH.  For 3x that, Cupertino has homes around 1300 sq. ft. on tiny lots.  Granted, her salary would skyrocket, but...

:-\