What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Nov 05, 2011, 12:45 PM
Just got Grace Under Pressure not too long ago Ruckus....did you opt for any of the live in Cleveland album/dvds? Should I move this discussion to the Rush thread?

I haven't yet.  I already had watched the film when it played on Rush Hashanah on VH1 and still have it on my DVR.  It was great!  Geddy is front and center, straight killing it.

Quote from: el_chode on Nov 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
Ruckus I almost got Marquee the other day. I imagine the title track to sound amazing on vinyl.
Marquee sounds brilliant even though I picked up one of the new reissues.  The only downside is that I got accustomed to this album through the CD rerelease with all the excellent bonus tracks so it sounded rather lean the 1st time I spun it.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

AlwxanderD10

I just got done digging trough a garage full of records a guy was sellin for 50 cents a piece, there were literally probably about 5,000 records. i got to many to list but i came out with a good amount of great vinyl.  :D

Crispy

Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on Nov 08, 2011, 11:56 AM
I just got done digging trough a garage full of records a guy was sellin for 50 cents a piece, there were literally probably about 5,000 records. i got to many to list but i came out with a good amount of great vinyl.  :D
Damn, man, I've been wishing to find a treasure trove like that. I would be tempted to offer a hefty sum for the whole bunch if it looked like a good collection.

Recent acquisitions:

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

YouAre_GivenToFly

Crispy... whats that Wooden Shjips like? They're playing here in philly tomorrow... worth $10?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Crispy

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
Crispy... whats that Wooden Shjips like? They're playing here in philly tomorrow... worth $10?

I think it's really cool, but it might not be certainly isn't for everybody. Dirty, drony, old stoner psychedelic rawk. I've never seen them, but I'll bet it's worth $10 to find out what they're like live.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Crispy on Nov 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 10, 2011, 02:52 PM

I think it's really cool, but it might not be certainly isn't for everybody. Dirty, drony, old stoner psychedelic rawk. I've never seen them, but I'll bet it's worth $10 to find out what they're like live.

Hmmm.... certaintly temping, especially for a Friday night after a few whiskeys.

ChronicHunger

Richie Swift

Blood Mountain!

ManNamedTruth

Bought Kid A 10" a couple weeks ago, and the other two at the show a couple days ago.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

headhunter

Decoration Day is awesome.  Actually have it on my ipod at work now as we speak (type).
was some shakin' and some record playin'

gardenparty

Russian Circles - Empros

Tom Waits - Bad As Me

Ruckus

Nice to see someone spinning Empros as well :thumbsup:  My Chicago buds always raving about their live shows.  I gotta see them
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

gardenparty

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
Nice to see someone spinning Empros as well :thumbsup:  My Chicago buds always raving about their live shows.  I gotta see them

it's a good show for sure.  I think they are touring with Deafheaven and Young Widows this round.  That's a pretty great lineup

AlwxanderD10

Quote from: Crispy on Nov 10, 2011, 12:09 PM
Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on Nov 08, 2011, 11:56 AM
Damn, man, I've been wishing to find a treasure trove like that. I would be tempted to offer a hefty sum for the whole bunch if it looked like a good collection.

Recent acquisitions:

Well if you live in louisville, heres the craigslist add  8)
http://louisville.craigslist.org/emd/2705057578.html

weeniebeenie

Just bought Pearl Jam- Given To Fly, Immortality and Spin The Black Circle 45's.
I'm a happy girl.
How loud can silence get?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Nov 18, 2011, 03:12 AM
Just bought Pearl Jam- Given To Fly, Immortality and Spin The Black Circle 45's.
I'm a happy girl.

I've been looking for a Spin the Black Circle 45 since roughly 1999.

jones

Control Yourself/Warrior Man 7"

ophidiophobia

Jon T.

So.... I was cleaning out my grandmother's house this weekend and I'm now the owner of what seems to be be a pretty decent turntable.   I also got all of her vinyl. The bad thing is, turns out she was a big (huge) Barry Manilow and Engelbert Humperdinck fan.  She did have a couple of Elvis albums, Willie Nelson and the Beach Boys Christmas album.  Next, I went to my in-laws because I knew my father in-law had some decent albums.  There I stocked up on some Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and some others that I can't think of right now.  So, I have a decent start.  Of all the music I listen to, I think my first purchase is going to be Phosphorescent's Here's to Taking it Easy.  I have never even listened to vinyl before but everytime I listen to that, it makes me feel like I need to listen to it on vinyl.  Weird.

Anyway, I have a question.  I got the record player hooked up to my current receiver that I run my t.v., dvd, etc... on.  The sound was very, very quiet.  Not even worth listening to.  The receiver that I took from my grandparents' house has a phono input and what I have does not.  Is that the problem?  I just plugged it into an auxiliary jack on my receiver.

Anyway, while I was tinkering with it, I broke the needle so it's going to be out of commission for a little bit, either way.  Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

headhunter

Jon-
Most phono's have a very weak output (low amplification signal) and need to have some type of boost to push  the volume to a level that you would listen to anything else on.
Plugging something into an aux jack that is not a dedicated phono input (which would probably have sufficient amplification) will not work.  Many systems (like mine) require a separate phono-preamp to plug into that aux jack and then plug the phone chords into to new phono pre-amp. It is much easier than you think but unless your stereo or receiver has a dedicated phono jack, you must pick up a dedicated phono preamp.
Depending on your budget you might need to spend a few bucks (at least $100)  to get something that works.  You can easily buy a used one on a website like audiogon or ebay  that would work.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preaphon
PM if you have any questions and I'd be glad to try and help.

ps-  I have that Phosphorescent on lp and it sounds awesome.  Beats the heck out of the cd.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

Eagerly awaiting these to ship....