What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ob1jacobe

I am on vinyl buying spree.  Getting a bunch of my favorites from this year.

Come Closer

Yeah that Oldies sale was insane. I went nuts and got a bunch of stuff including

Hawkeye

10th Anniversary Edition.  I always wanted this on vinyl anyway...seemed like a good excuse to finally pull the trigger.

We could.

he.who.forgets

Recently picked up:
- Entroducing...DJ Shadow
- Songs: Ohia
- Glen Hansard: Drive All Night EP
- Portishead: S/T
- Built to Spill: You in Reverse
- Otis Redding: History of...
- John Coltrane: Blue Train
- The National - Alligator
- A Musical Tribute to Shel Silverstein (RSD)
- Matador Records RSD release feat QOTSA, Yo La Tengo, Savages, Magical Cloudz, Body/Head, Kurt Vile, Chelsea Light Moving, Lee Ranaldo & The Dust, & Ice Age
- The Civil Wars: Between the Bars (RSD)

scosby2

My Black Friday Haul

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

johnnYYac

Nice, Seth!  I only managed the Grateful Dead Family Dog release, as I'm outta town at the in-laws and didn't get to a store until 3:30. I managed to get the Dawes @ Grimeys 12" and the Silversun Pickups 10" online tonight.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ManNamedTruth

Yoshimi on red transparent, German edition 1st pressing via Half Price Books - cool chain store, if anyone has one near them check it out.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

CountSA

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Dec 09, 2013, 10:29 PM
Yoshimi on red transparent, German edition 1st pressing via Half Price Books - cool chain store, if anyone has one near them check it out.

Great fine.  I have the red clear vinyl but not same edition.  I have not had great luck with the half priced books by me.  Lots of damage on sleeves :(  but i love that store!

GO4IT

If anyone is in the Baltimore-DC-Harrisburg area, I would definitely recommend the Arbutus Record show.  They finally have a decent web site: http://arbutusrecordshow.net/

I went this past Sunday and had a blast.  Just a big vibrant room filled with about 50 dealers and a hundred customers doing what they love in a low-key fashion - BS'ing about good music and pawing through a million albums, 45s and CDs. Striking up conversations and listening in on countless others is priceless.  You can find $1 bargains (even 10 cent bargains, see below) or $200 rare albums - a real diversity of sellers show up.  And it's freaking free and you can get blue-collar Arbutus grub as well.

I was enjoying myself for a couple of hours this Sun but only picked up two albums - Big Joe Turner's Greatest Hits and a pristine copy of the soundtrack to The Harder They Come.  And, then, as I'm about to leave, and as they do sometimes, they make an announcement of something special going down.  So the gal gets on the loudspeaker and says that one of the dealers doesn't want to bring his albums home so everything is going for 10 cents an album.  It didn't take me long to get over there and grab about a dozen.  I still haven't made it through all of them but for my two bucks I scored at least one gem - Peter Paul and Mary's third album from 1963 - "In the Wind".  It's hard to believe that this is now from 50 years ago and the copy I got was in pristine condition - not a scratch on it.  This is the first album where Bob Dylan's songs appear - Don't Think Twice, It's Allright, Quit Your Lowdown Ways, and Blowin in the Wind - and he also wrote a long intro on the back of the album about the whole scene going down in Greenwich Village at that time.

I will be back in the New Year.

Crispy

These types of record shows are SO great. I caught one this weekend in Tulsa, and though it was about 1/5th the size of the one you describe, I got several good items, including a fairly pristine copy of All Things Must Pass (the box corners have the usual splits, but not bad and the records look unplayed), The Jam's All Mod Cons, a nice Asbury Park, Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions, Closer by Joy Division (cover damage, but the record's good), among others. Live music was going, it was also cool to talk with the vendors and other folks, and like you say, eavesdrop a bit on more weirdness. One funny was when this kid came up to me trying to sell about ten of his parents' Eagles, Kiss, and Steve Miller records, asking if I wanted some classic rock. I told him I already had every record he was holding, and wasn't lying.  :grin:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

This is my newest vinyl:

I cannot get over how great it sounds.  Also, the bonus tracks on the last LP are great.  I really like the live version of How to Fight Loneliness.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

justbcuzido

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Dec 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
This is my newest vinyl:

I cannot get over how great it sounds.  Also, the bonus tracks on the last LP are great.  I really like the live version of How to Fight Loneliness.

This and Okonokos are generally in constant rotation on my player.

I also love the extraas you get on the vinyl edition. How to Fight Loneliness is great! The bonus of Kamera/Monday/Outta Site is awesome as well.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

scosby2

Quote from: justbcuzido on Dec 18, 2013, 01:34 AM
This is my newest vinyl:

I also love the extraas you get on the vinyl edition. How to Fight Loneliness is great! The bonus of Kamera/Monday/Outta Site is awesome as well.

got this gem a few years ago when it came out on record store day when not as many people were buying records...and those bastards used to laugh at me when I started buying nothing but vinyl around 2005...about 900 records later and growing exponentially...who's laughing now...headhunter has the ultimate vinyl library though...it's quite amazing...as is his turntable

EverythingChanges

Quote from: scosby2 on Dec 18, 2013, 01:05 AM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Dec 18, 2013, 01:34 AM
This is my newest vinyl:

got this gem a few years ago when it came out on record store day when not as many people were buying records...and those bastards used to laugh at me when I started buying nothing but vinyl around 2005...about 900 records later and growing exponentially...who's laughing now...headhunter has the ultimate vinyl library though...it's quite amazing...as is his turntable

It is brilliant.  I wish I could get my hands on Okonokos for a reasonable price.  That is my #1 must have vinyl ever since I bought my record player.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

scosby2

Luckily I found it on the interwebz back in 2006 in a little store in Texas on the vinyl record database(site doesn't exist anymore bc vinyl is so popular these days so there is no need for the site anymore, it was a site that had links to tons of small music stores(not CIMS) and I got a bunch of stuff from stores like that the first couple years I bought vinyl when most stuff was really hard to come by