MMJ's New Album (Man Hands) makes SPIN's Top 30 of 2011

Started by el_chode, Jan 24, 2011, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Jan 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote from: flyguy on Jan 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Jan 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
I wonder how many people are going to leave this time once it gets all shitty and weird in here.
It seems like a lot of those who "leave" just throw a hissy and "return" a little later, while still lurking all the while.

Crispy and Ruckus, I'm outta here. :P

+1 on the reverb

Yeah, pretty much. Some people didn't come back. K is still gone, which is a shame, cause he's awesome. I'd pretty much guarantee its going to happen again, however severe it may be.

I've had it! I'll be back when the perceived threat of all this potential brouhaha quiets down.

I also second the reverb motion.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

capt. scotty

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Never watched Seinfeld, so...no?

Hey Chode, the Jerkstore just called, and theyre all outta you!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 25, 2011, 03:24 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Jan 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 25, 2011, 02:06 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Jan 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
It gets worse. Here is a list of supposedly "you're unAmerican if you've never watched" shows I'll admit to never have seeing*:

• Saved by the bell
  • Fresh Prince
  • Friends
  • Seinfeld
  • The Wire
*By never watched, I mean never willingly sat through and paid attention to an episode. I can't say that I've never been in a room where the show has been on or been subjected to like 10 minutes of it. Example: I've had to watch the parts of Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince involving drugs for school, so I'm familiar with Carlton's dance.

The last two are essential. I'd worry about you if you loved the other shows.

I watched an episode of the Wire midway through. My brother, who is a devotee, said that was my mistake. Need to be in on the ground level to watch it because the arcs are so large.

I watched the first 3 episodes of the wire. SO BORING. I hear after the first half of season 1 it becomes an amazing ass show, but I just couldnt make it through the bore.

You def didnt give it enough of a chance if you only watched 3 and Id recommend revisiting it sometime. Hell, it took me the whole 1st season just to know every characters name (and you probably are only introduced to like 1/3 of the series show in the first season) and Im pretty sure it did take like 5-6 episodes just for them to hit the ground running with the Barksdale investigation in the first place. I know its not a show for everybody, but you gotta watch at least the 1st season before giving up on it.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

It'll be Flaming Lips-shimmering-synth-from a dog's point of view-old skool MMJ-No Code Pearl Jam-great-Quaalude smooth-soul vibe-haunting-awesome climax-very smooth-great beat-reverbless-Christian elements-from "Z"-Curtis Mayfieldesque-not all quiet-epiphany-journey-uplifting-utterly ambiguous-reminds me of Radiohead-drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention-reverberant-right out of the 80's-post James Taylor-sappy-breezy-naïve-rootsy-sensual-civic-New Age romanticism-soulful-catchy-country-western-familiar-libertarian undertones-riff driven riff driven-oddly disturbing-Pink Floydish-spatial-existential angst atmospherics-buoyant-disco like-goofy-fun-Southern fried-Crosby Stills and Nashness-disappointing-electronica inspired opus-empty-generic-Mars Volta-new wave-glitch-embarrassing-Dan Fogelberg-minimalistic-sub par-reggae infused-low rent Prince-Prince like breathiness-Princeish-Prince like-Prince drenched-Princesque- Prince uh ly pulled-inspiring-let down-Phish novelty-highly frustrating-haunting-cheesy Christian rock-wildly divergent-gorgeous-killer-Like your mother in law on Christmas-seriously lacking-accessible-futuristic-epic-
innovative-suck ass-desperate-compressed to shit piece of pastiche-radio friendly dumb rock-unwanted-bipolar-linear-80's hip hop-stylistically fractured-rawkin'-timeless-fun-
fiery-guitar freakouts-space rock-syrupy-insistent-prog-funk-sexy-bizarre-wiley assaultive-sonic-bombshell-itchy-60's style-90's style-jaw dropping-uncompromising-
bone deep-exhilarating-accomplished-carnivalesque-childlike zeal-chopping-changing-
psychedelic-flourishing glassy eyes yacht-pop-exhausting-exhilirating-Zeppelinesque-
blistering-elastic-sylish-gentle lounge beat-Guided By Voices-Marvin Gaye-Wilco-Replacements-Tone Loc-Sly and The Family Stone-Band of Horses-like
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

woodnymph

Well if that's all!!

Hahah wow!

I like all the Princety Princeishness you mentioned, I was going to use similar adjectives in a recently passing post...  well for better or for worse, nicely worded!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ChiefOKONO

FiddleCastro

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
Quote from: el_chode on Jan 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Never watched Seinfeld, so...no?

Hey Chode, the Jerkstore just called, and theyre all outta you!!

What's the difference? You're their all-time best seller!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

ralph

More word on the street - there's a secret bonus track at the end of the album. It's a cover of george's answer machine message - "believe it or not, George isn't at home..."

It's apparantly very heavy on the reverb!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

kydiddle

Quote from: ralph on Jan 26, 2011, 06:59 PM
More word on the street - there's a secret bonus track at the end of the album. It's a cover of george's answer machine message - "believe it or not, George isn't at home..."

The album will be released by Vandelay Industries.

ralph....one of the first conversations I had with you in NYC was about your love of the show. You said when you landed you imagined everything in the city would be like a Seinfeld episode. Ha. That's when I knew you were cool and not some crazy Aussie...  ;)

P.S. Totally saw your twin today at the grocery store. You sure you didn't come back to the States?
Cow temperature.

ralph

Quote from: kydiddle on Jan 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
Quote from: ralph on Jan 26, 2011, 06:59 PM

The album will be released by Vandelay Industries.

ralph....one of the first conversations I had with you in NYC was about your love of the show. You said when you landed you imagined everything in the city would be like a Seinfeld
episode. Ha. That's when I knew you were cool and not some crazy Aussie...  ;)

P.S. Totally saw your twin today at the grocery store. You sure you didn't come back to the States?

I just dropped in for some milk and bread! I'm back home now though... You should have come over and said hi! (seriously though, a return trip in October is 99% likely now for Bridge benefit. Hoping that MMJ play so i can catch up with everyone again.)
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
It gets worse. Here is a list of supposedly "you're unAmerican if you've never watched" shows I'll admit to never have seeing*:

• Saved by the bell
  • Fresh Prince
  • Friends
  • Seinfeld
  • The Wire
*By never watched, I mean never willingly sat through and paid attention to an episode. I can't say that I've never been in a room where the show has been on or been subjected to like 10 minutes of it. Example: I've had to watch the parts of Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince involving drugs for school, so I'm familiar with Carlton's dance.
Don't wish to beat a dead horse, but regarding the Wire, there has never been anything like it. It makes Dexter, which I watch faithfully, look like a cartoon. You must watch it from episode one, sometimes using subtitles, and rewinding to make sure you got it. Is is comparable to the greatest movies ever made, only it is 65 hours long, so you REALLY enjoy it.
   As for the new album, sounds very promising.

APR

rincon is spot on.  The Wire is the greatest show of all time.  Start with episode 1 of season 1 and go from there...... you have to pay attention to all of the dialouge in every scene.  It is so good, so real, and  well worth the time commitment.
And as far as the new album.... all these news items and photos from the studio should lead to a great spring.

br00ke

I watched the first 3 episodes of the wire. SO BORING. I hear after the first half of season 1 it becomes an amazing ass show, but I just couldnt make it through the bore.

i too suffered from this fate .. never got past the 1st netflix disc  :o

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 28, 2011, 10:48 PM

i too suffered from this fate .. never got past the 1st netflix disc  :o

shame on you both! It's not like the first episodes are bad either.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

Hey, not to change the subject but...

Did you guys hear that the as-yet-untitled 6th MMJ album, due out this spring, is on the SPIN Top 30 list for 2011? 

Now, back to your discussion of The Wire.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
It'll be Flaming Lips-shimmering-synth-from a dog's point of view-old skool MMJ-No Code Pearl Jam-great-Quaalude smooth-soul vibe-haunting-awesome climax-very smooth-great beat-reverbless-Christian elements-from "Z"-Curtis Mayfieldesque-not all quiet-epiphany-journey-uplifting-utterly ambiguous-reminds me of Radiohead-drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention-reverberant-right out of the 80's-post James Taylor-sappy-breezy-naïve-rootsy-sensual-civic-New Age romanticism-soulful-catchy-country-western-familiar-libertarian undertones-riff driven riff driven-oddly disturbing-Pink Floydish-spatial-existential angst atmospherics-buoyant-disco like-goofy-fun-Southern fried-Crosby Stills and Nashness-disappointing-electronica inspired opus-empty-generic-Mars Volta-new wave-glitch-embarrassing-Dan Fogelberg-minimalistic-sub par-reggae infused-low rent Prince-Prince like breathiness-Princeish-Prince like-Prince drenched-Princesque- Prince uh ly pulled-inspiring-let down-Phish novelty-highly frustrating-haunting-cheesy Christian rock-wildly divergent-gorgeous-killer-Like your mother in law on Christmas-seriously lacking-accessible-futuristic-epic-
innovative-suck ass-desperate-compressed to shit piece of pastiche-radio friendly dumb rock-unwanted-bipolar-linear-80's hip hop-stylistically fractured-rawkin'-timeless-fun-
fiery-guitar freakouts-space rock-syrupy-insistent-prog-funk-sexy-bizarre-wiley assaultive-sonic-bombshell-itchy-60's style-90's style-jaw dropping-uncompromising-
bone deep-exhilarating-accomplished-carnivalesque-childlike zeal-chopping-changing-
psychedelic-flourishing glassy eyes yacht-pop-exhausting-exhilirating-Zeppelinesque-
blistering-elastic-sylish-gentle lounge beat-Guided By Voices-Marvin Gaye-Wilco-Replacements-Tone Loc-Sly and The Family Stone-Band of Horses-like
I karaoked these lyrics over We Didn't Start the Fire this weekend.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Bigsky

Man Hands??? I think Man Boobs is much better...6th MMJ Album Moobs!

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 31, 2011, 11:03 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
I karaoked these lyrics over We Didn't Start the Fire this weekend.
;D
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

BigBossMan

It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurtin' anybody