MMJ Reference on ESPN

Started by wonderfulman, Mar 10, 2014, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderfulman

Not sure if there is a pre-existing thread on this topic, but there was an MMJ reference on Sports Center today.

At the end of each episode, the show has something called "3 Stars." The two lead anchors pick a star from the day/weekend, and the fans vote on a star. Jodie Meeks, LA Lakers and UK alumni was the fan selected star. When introducing Jodie, anchor John Bucchigross says "And do you know that the meek, he shall inherit the earth."

MOWJO8185

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that's probably more of a Bible reference.

joey_rogo

Bucci has made a few MMJ references in the past. I think there was an old thread somewhere that had some more examples.

kintante5

Bomani Jones is an MMJ fiend....it wouldn't shock me if he is on these boards.

YimYodd

Bucchigross's (sometimes) suttle rock references have cracked me up for years,  :grin:  with him paraphrasing Jims' lyric I'd say it was a MMJ reference.
I'm not much of a Bible expert.....what's the exact quotation in the Good Book?

Bomani doesn't seem like a MMJ kinda guy.......cool if he is.  :thumbsup:
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

rincon2

There was once a reference to some MLB star that someone on ESPN stated something like "He is to his team like Jim James is to My Morning Jacket". I think they have at least one fan on board.

MOWJO8185

Quote from: YimYodd on Mar 10, 2014, 09:15 PM
Bucchigross's (sometimes) suttle rock references have cracked me up for years,  :grin:  with him paraphrasing Jims' lyric I'd say it was a MMJ reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_5:5

The verse can be seen here, and at the bottom of the page there is also a list of a bunch of different times that saying has been used in popular culture, including other songs, movies, tv shows, poems, etc.

I'm not saying there aren't some MMJ fans at ESPN, and that's cool that there are, but citing a pretty common phrase as being an MMJ reference, especially when they used it as a pun based on a player's name, seems to be a stretch to me.

parkervb

Quote from: YimYodd on Mar 10, 2014, 09:15 PM

Bomani is totally down with the Jacket

http://www.bomanijones.com/my-morning-jacket/
https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/24518056434
Don't you ever turn it off

dontgetupset

I spoke to Chris Fowler at the Loge/Balcony concessions at PC night 1.

Murph

Scott Van Pelt has used One Big Holiday as a lead in to his radio show many times. He's mentioned on air what a big fan of MMJ he is also  :thumbsup: