To Rock Out or Not to Rock Out??

Started by EasyRyder, Feb 16, 2011, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyRyder

That is my question. I always enjoy moving to music at concerts, and particularly at MMJ shows I tend to vigorously throw my body around. However, I find that the more I'm into the groove of the music with my moving limbs, the less I remember the show.

Has anyone experienced this same issue?? Does anyone have advice?? Is the moment of rocking out simply more important than titillating memories??!!

I'm usually not unreasonably intoxicated, so that's not a factor. I'm genuinely concerned about this because I need to evaluate my concert-enjoying strategies before MMJ tour season sweeps me off my feet.

Peer-reviewed scientific studies would be appreciated in support of any conjectures, but mere personal opinions are very much appreciated. HELP!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

el_chode

My ability to remember a show rarely has to do with intoxication, it just affects how I remember it.

I find that I forget it the less focused I am on the show. For example, I remember less about Bermuda Highway from T5 because the brah next to me was singing it to his girlfriend through his popped collar.
I'm surrounded by assholes

e_wind

I have the same problem. I remember what songs they play, and I know I had fun, but I never remember the specific details of their movements and shit.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

iLikeBeer

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
My ability to remember a show rarely has to do with intoxication, it just affects how I remember it.

I find that I forget it the less focused I am on the show. For example, I remember less about Bermuda Highway from T5 because the brah next to me was singing it to his girlfriend through his popped collar.

That's too funny!  I had a similar experience at a Furthur show last summer.  While the boys were singing Not Fade Away, this drunk girl behind us was wailing what she thought were the lyrics?!  All I'm hearing is, "YOU KNOW OUR LOVE IS GONNA FADE AWAY" over and over and over?!   :D

el_chode

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Feb 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Feb 16, 2011, 01:04 PM

That's too funny!  I had a similar experience at a Furthur show last summer.  While the boys were singing Not Fade Away, this drunk girl behind us was wailing what she thought were the lyrics?!  All I'm hearing is, "YOU KNOW OUR LOVE IS GONNA FADE AWAY" over and over and over?!   :D

Surprised, i thought it was the newer generations that sucked at shows (unless that person at furthur was one also).

I also remember I Will Be There When You Die because another brah said he was annoyed they were playing so many slow songs, and someone else complained about "who came here to hear a banjo?" during If It Smashes Down
I'm surrounded by assholes

iLikeBeer

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 16, 2011, 01:40 PM
Surprised, i thought it was the newer generations that sucked at shows (unless that person at furthur was one also).

Yeah.  She was a youngin'.  I doubt she was even of age to be drinking?! 

ynwa

so it's not just me then?

sometimes i wish i remembered more details, especially when reading what others write in their posts.  and sometimes i'll read someone's.  post and it triggers the memory.  i try my best to block out any surrounding annoying people distractions but some creep in anyway.but, when i really think about it, i'm glad that i'm in the moment - rocking out WITH the band, rather than trying to make sure i will remember more stuff later.  but that's just me.

plus, i can't really help rocking out, it just happens.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

capt. scotty

Its a crime to limit your rocking out when the gods of rock want you to willingly submit to their sonic booms and RTFO.

Rock now, groove when youre 60
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

sometimes for me, I'll keep my eyes closed for entire songs while I rock out.  only opening them to make sure I'm not fucking with somebodies shit.  the light flashes thru my eyelids, the energy from the people around me.  at mmj shows I try and take jims advice of getting in the "zone", to me "the zone" is what it's all about.

quiet songs I stand still, sometimes close my eyes and nod my head.   when my eyes need to be open they are.

kydiddle

Rock out. The music is there, being play right in front of you...rock OUT. I need to walk away from a show remembering how I felt during those few blissful hours. If I'm worried about taking in every detail or staring intently at the stage then it's not the same for me. There is a lot I don't remember about the Terminal 5 run. I don't remember a few songs that prior to the shows I swore to myself I would burn in my memory forever. But the things I do remember from those nights are the dancing and the moving and hand-holding and the feeling of the music against my face and skin as I rocked out. I missed a lot of stuff that happened on stage, but I remember the looks on the faces of my friends and how it felt to just close my eyes and move.

On the other hand, if I had danced more at the Philly show I would have missed that magical moment during "Touch Me Pt. 1" when Jim stepped to the edge of the stage and made some serious eye contact.
Cow temperature.

MMJ_fanatic

Rock out--don't hold back, you can always catch up during the slow stuff
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EasyRyder

I'm not sure if this is what Alcoholics Anonymous feels like, but I like it. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one  :-\

I think the consensus is RTFO. or as a famous Chinese restaurant in Charleston, SC puts it: "Rock out with your Wok out."

Thank you all for your invaluable insights and contributions....and Sticky, I think I'm going to try the eyes-closed thing a little more.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

ynwa

i think the general consensus is to rock the fuck out.

sticky & ky put into words what a live concert experience should be.  'nuff said there.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

ManNamedTruth

My advice is to do what you feel is necessary, if that includes rocking out then go ahead. I'm more of a mellow head-nodder myself.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

FiddleCastro

Quote from: kydiddle on Feb 16, 2011, 08:29 PM
Rock out. The music is there, being play right in front of you...rock OUT. I need to walk away from a show remembering how I felt during those few blissful hours. If I'm worried about taking in every detail or staring intently at the stage then it's not the same for me. There is a lot I don't remember about the Terminal 5 run. I don't remember a few songs that prior to the shows I swore to myself I would burn in my memory forever. But the things I do remember from those nights are the dancing and the moving and hand-holding and the feeling of the music against my face and skin as I rocked out. I missed a lot of stuff that happened on stage, but I remember the looks on the faces of my friends and how it felt to just close my eyes and move.

On the other hand, if I had danced more at the Philly show I would have missed that magical moment during "Touch Me Pt. 1" when Jim stepped to the edge of the stage and made some serious eye contact.

One of my favorite Live MMJ Moments?

Getting thrown at the stage by Ky. Total ROCK moment.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Ruckus

I'm really surprised at the number of people here that have sided with RTFO.  I like to rock out a bit (as that J Roddy EPK or me headbutting Soulshine at T5 might attest) and typically leave a show not remembering any of the subtleties nor even much stage banter for that matter.  50% of that I'd attribute to alcohol but the other 50% is that I just don't care.  I like living in the moment and to be honest, at most shows, my eyes are closed, I'm grinning and just RTFO!  Ask me if I remember "that part where Milli Vanilli's mics started working" or "when the Spin Doctors' bassist's ponytail came undone", my answer will be "nope" every time.  Ask me if I had a rockin' time and my answer will be "yup" every time.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

my 2 cents is if you don't want to "rock out" then don't get within 100 feet of the stage. As an elderly person, I understand the hazards of goin' up in the krunk and I am willing to accept the consequences of mixing it up with the kiddies. What I can't stand is people wanting to have a deep, intimate moment with the band (i.e. just standing there) during Run Thru while they're 10 feet away from the stage.

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

kydiddle

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Feb 17, 2011, 01:25 AM
Quote from: kydiddle on Feb 16, 2011, 08:29 PM

One of my favorite Live MMJ Moments?

Getting thrown at the stage by Ky. Total ROCK moment.

*takes a bow*
Cow temperature.

wolof7

When seeing a "worthy rock band"

I CAN"T NOT ROCK OUT!

literally physically and emotionally impossible
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

EasyRyder

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 17, 2011, 04:18 PM

I CAN"T NOT ROCK OUT!

From urbandictionary.com- search word, rocking out:

"There have been no reported deaths from rocking out."