How to prepare for a new jacket album?

Started by wolof7, Feb 17, 2011, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

In preparation for the new album, I'm tryng to contain my excitement. I have found in the past that perfection is like a fine wine with a good album....Maybe 10 years from now The Suburb's (or add notably considered masterpiece album here) will summon the word "classic" or "masterpeice" moreso than it does for me right now

....My Morning Jacket, to me, has created several masterpieces. In fact, each release, save for some of EU (and that had its moments of brilliance), are self-contained, masterpeices of music imho and prob iyho as well. They reveal themselves to be more perfect each passing year. So do they still have it in them to create something which builds upon what they have put forth? Do they have another 'new masterpiece' in them? I am confident they do. As 'fanatics' are we able to be objective about each new release? Do you find your expectations have become too lofty? With each new record are we too expectant of (or find ourselves wanting) an It Still Moves 2?

It maybe overthinking it, but I am trying to temper my excitement and prep my mind to understand what is about to be unleashed upon us hopefully soon! 
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

rincon

Just one question? If they are getting more perfect each year, why is their most recent album the only one you single out as not a  masterpiece?

wolof7

Quote from: rincon on Feb 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
Just one question? If they are getting more perfect each year, why is their most recent album the only one you single out as not a  masterpiece?

I love Evil Urges. I still listen to it and learn new things with each listen. Just wouldn't call it a 'masterpiece' MMJ album. I would say all the others have met that standard for me.

However do not misconstrue (as I do not want to retread EU debates with this thread). I do love that album and try not to expect a masterpiece each time they make a record. Although they have quite the stellar record (imho).

darkglow

i dunno.. i think that EU got all the bad rap but how will we know if the albums that follow will only make us understand and appreciate the direction that album took MMJ.

we can all admit that EU was not the direction we "educated and well-versed" fans anticipated them going to next, so naturally our egos want to think less of EU for that..

I believe some way and some how that all music is good in certain situations.. some of those moments may never happen so we'll never connect one with the other and some of those moments are just waiting to happen later down the line somewhere.

wolof7

Quote from: darkglow on Feb 17, 2011, 05:12 PM
we can all admit that EU was not the direction we "educated and well-versed" fans anticipated them going to next, so naturally our egos want to think less of EU for that..
I guess this best represents my line of questioning. If EU was their first album, would I consider it a masterpiece? Maybe I dunno.

With each new release how do we let it breathe without letting our preconceived expectations effect the listening experience? Is it possible to detach and allow the new album be the new album without trying to compare it to what has come before it, what we've come to expect from the band, and where we'd like the band to go with it?

darkglow

i dont mean to sound like Eckhard Tolle or anything but what you are asking "is it possible.. to let go of our egos and just be" the answer my friend is "yes!"

wolof7

Quote from: darkglow on Feb 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
i dont mean to sound like Eckhard Tolle or anything but what you are asking "is it possible.. to let go of our egos and just be" the answer my friend is "yes!"

sure that's apart of it....guess I'm askin what goes through peeps minds as a new album approaches? Does any of that ego get in the way?

1978SGJ

friends again
Friends Again (encore #2) - My Morning Jacket

circuital
Circuital (encore #1) - My Morning Jacket

wonderful (the way i feel)
Wonderful (the way i feel) encore #4 - My Morning Jacket

the suspense is killing me.. if there's a god, all the local fans (especially forum members) will be asked to attend the storytellers taping. i'm seriously.. you guys.
anyways, here are a few vids i shot from the Terminal 5 gigs.
enjoy!

wolof7

Prepare your miiiinnnddd.........for the: