Main Menu

Baraka

Started by Mr. White, Dec 05, 2012, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Baraka turned 20 years old earlier this year. I found this movie on DVD probably 10 years ago and love it so very, very much. It was filmed in 70 millimeter. If you haven't ever seen it, please take the time to watch it all the way through sometime. If you don't buy it to watch on a nice TV with a proper stereo system, then sit glued to your computer and use your best headphones. This documentary has a little bit of everything: national parks, historic places, old buildings, old and new cultures, religious sites, people from every walk of life, nature, animals, human behavior, destruction, majesty, etc. Watch it from start to finish...please. It may just touch your heart and mind.

Baraka (full documentary)
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

woodnymph

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 05, 2012, 11:54 PM
Baraka turned 20 years old earlier this year. I found this movie on DVD probably 10 years ago and love it so very, very much. It was filmed in 70 millimeter. If you haven't ever seen it, please take the time to watch it all the way through sometime. If you don't buy it to watch on a nice TV with a proper stereo system, then sit glued to your computer and use your best headphones. This documentary has a little bit of everything: national parks, historic places, old buildings, old and new cultures, religious sites, people from every walk of life, nature, animals, human behavior, destruction, majesty, etc. Watch it from start to finish...please. It may just touch your heart and mind.

Just watched this a few months ago!!!! Wtf tho, 20?!?! I uh.... well, I thought it came out much more recently  :embarrassed:  Love it, though--thanks for posting!!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Mr. White

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 06, 2012, 12:32 AM

Just watched this a few months ago!!!! Wtf tho, 20?!?! I uh.... well, I thought it came out much more recently  :embarrassed:  Love it, though--thanks for posting!!!

No. It is 20 years old now. The scenes of the black smoke rising into the air all over the place came from when Saddam torched the oil wells in Kuwait after being driven out near the end of the Persian Gulf War back in 1991 (That was brand-new footage at that time).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

woodnymph

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 06, 2012, 12:42 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 06, 2012, 12:32 AM

No. It is 20 years old now. The scenes of the black smoke rising into the air all over the place came from when Saddam torched the oil wells in Kuwait after being driven out near the end of the Persian Gulf War back in 1991 (That was brand-new footage at that time).

Oh I belived you, that was  my embarrassed face for not having known it for so long.... That footage you mention is absolutely f'ing INSANE.... so real... yet so unreal.....

woodnymph

The movie "Samsara" was just released by the same person, I think?? I should know the guy's name, but I'm not good with names. I've yet to see it but am intrigued.

peafunk31

Jeez. I thought this thread was going to be a homage to this guy

I am disappoint  :undecided:

In all seriousness I need to watch this documentary. I have heard of it I just never got around to viewing it. Thanks for posting it!
Homer no function beer well without.

MamaKel

Way to post on this, Mr. White.  Baraka is one of my favorite movies of all time.  It is like a visual time capsule of what it means to be alive in our time...a wordless chorus of Earthly providence that never fails to make me cry tears of joy and sorrow in the same breath...thank you for reminding me of its power.

Haldon

Fantastic Movie.  Saw Samsara when it came out a couple of months ago.  I liked Baraka better.  The visuals in both movies are absolutely absurd and amazing.  I thought that the "story" of the scenes flowed better in Baraka than in Samsara...both were very good though.

Hawkeye

Quote from: peafunk31 on Dec 06, 2012, 09:12 AM

In all seriousness I need to watch this documentary. I have heard of it I just never got around to viewing it. Thanks for posting it!

Haha...THIS.  But I have also seen the movie.  Pretty cool and I DEFINITELY thought it was newer than 20 years old!!!!  I would have guessed it was filmed within the last 2-3 years!
We could.

Mahgeetah34

Hahaha exactly what I thought too. I'm disappointed to find out this has nothing to do with the creature from Mortal Kombat.

he.who.forgets

by far my favorite film of it's kind.  And Samsara was amazing as well.  Saw it twice in the theatre.  Chronos is my least favorite from Fricke...makes me nausious. The other one that starts with a K (not even going to attempt to spell it from memory) is good too, but is probably my third favorite. 

capt. scotty

You and me and apparently many others both

:grin: :grin: :grin:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons