Main Menu

The Sheepdogs

Started by The Ditchrider, Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ditchrider

Put in my vote for them as well.

wolof7

Yea, I didn't mean don't vote for them, I did too, it's a great opportunity.....it's just I don't like that publication.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

he.who.forgets

thanks for the recommendation...i dig!

Ruckus

Still loving Learn and Burn :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

I'm liking these guys a lot.  Thanks for the rec!

Kind of off subject, the song "Rollo Tomasi" -  anyone remember "L.A. Confidential"?  I know that name is from the movie but I can't remember who or what- was he a Keyser Soze type character?

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 25, 2011, 12:41 PM

Kind of off subject, the song "Rollo Tomasi" -  anyone remember "L.A. Confidential"?  I know that name is from the movie but I can't remember who or what- was he a Keyser Soze type character?

He was the guy that "always gets away with it."
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 25, 2011, 12:41 PM

He was the guy that "always gets away with it."

Ahh, yes!  Rollo Tomasi.  That has been bugging the crap out of me.

:dankk2:

wolof7

ok I have my gripes with the rolling stone contest, but all that aside, they are in the final 4 with 2 rounds to go, if they survive the next round they'll be playing at bonnaroo which would be a great opportunity for exposure...

....putting aside that it's a rolling stone contest sponsored by garnier fructis shampoo, I really love this band and am encouraging people to vote for them because I want them to roll through mine and surrounding towns, I'm sure they could use the extra incentive or gas money or whatever they get from this contest to do so.  :thumbsup:

http://www.rollingstone.com/choosethecover

iLikeBeer

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
did anyone else see that they are up for a contest on rolling stone, finding a featured up and coming band for the cover? I hope on a level they don't get it. Justin Beiber, Snooki, Sheepdogs? I'll give that a big Gob Bluthe "C'mon!"

I had seen the contest in the mag but had never taken the time to check out any of the finalists.

Checked out the link and you guys are right.  The Sheepdogs are a pretty damn good rock 'n roll band.  I was looking at some of the judging/critique videos in the RS link and I'm almost hoping they don't win.  Although, playing at Bonnarroo would be huge for these guys as I think they would fit right in at the Roo.  I just got the sense by watching some of the critiques that the judges are almost trying to make them into something they're not.  I didn't get the sense from listening to some of their interviews that The Sheepdogs are about making top 40 radio hits.  They're more about just making music and I fear if they win, RS will try and change who they are as a band.

BTW, I thought all 4 of the finalists were pretty decent.  Empires kind of reminded me of Everest in the little I heard of them.  And it thought Fictionist were pretty tight as a band as well with some nice guitars and keyboards mixed in.  Even Lelia Broussard was decent I thought although she seems like she'd get swallowed up at Bonnarroo.

The Ditchrider

Well they are in the finals...they have made it this far, hope they win and it doesn't turn out to be a bad thing for them.  They deserve a shot but dont want to seem them get pushed in a direction they shouldn't go.

They are a great band as is, but really hope they aren't forced commercialized through this contest, sponsors and Rolling Stone.

Vote for em if you like em and stay strong to your sound, roots Sheepdogs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/choosethecover

wolof7

This doesn't seem like an "industry thing" which would push them in the wrong direction. It is rolling stone/fructis which is sorta lame but my feelings have turned around on it.

They have seemed to get little attention thus far independently, the music is awesome and speaks for itself, they seem like a cool band, and the music is not "watered down, overproduced drivel" like is more the rule to the exception with rolling stone these days. So why not bring the magazine back to something reputible for a change?

I believe it will get them more album sales and fans. That's good for them. I'm interested to see where they go concerning a record deal if that becomes apart of the scenario. Hopefully they would hookup with something cool like Subpop, Jagjaguwar, nonesuch or something like that. If they go major, it'll be a letdown and could potentially take them in the wrong direction unless its a rare "flaming lips" type thing. 

el_chode

Just got Learn and Burn or whatever, this album is great

Reminds me a lot of the Bees and the Coral
I'm surrounded by assholes

buaawwww

Funny thing... I was going to start a post on these guys and was very happy to see that someone already beat me to it.  I've been listening to Learn and Burn nonstop lately... really digging these guys.

oistheone

Learn and Burn is a great summer record. Man, this guy sounds like Burton Cummings. Not like that's a bad thing though. These harmonies are fantastic.

kotchishm

I was just listening and wasn't really paying attention and thought I was listening to Chicago until I looked. wtf maybe it's just me.

Side note:  I love Chicago
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

wolof7

THE SHEEPDOGS WIN!!!!!

....the cover of the Rolling Stone! Good for them, they fucking deserve it, I wasn't a big fan of the whole thing at first but hey it's pretty sweet! I thought they were trailing behind that chick by a lot so this is a surprise.

...the kick in the balls or maybe a good thing depending on how you look at it is they were gonna open a run of dates with Kings of Leon who just canceled their tour....oh well hopefully new and better opportunities will arise....

They are celebrating tomorrow night on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/choose-the-cover-contest-winner-revealed-20110801

e_wind

checking out the free album now, because I got the email from Rolling Stone. Have to say, I'm enjoying....
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

wolof7

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 01, 2011, 09:50 PM
checking out the free album now, because I got the email from Rolling Stone. Have to say, I'm enjoying....

the free album is great but you gotta hear Learn and Burn, it is definitely a great summer album and definitely a step up from their first.

capt. scotty

Learn & Burn has quickly risen to my top 5 albums of 2011, maybe favorite when its all said and done  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

buster douglas

Saw them yesterday at Osheaga fest and briefly met them in the crowd after their performance.
Great set and cool dudes, best of luck to em!