Main Menu

Recording shows...

Started by e_wind, Mar 11, 2011, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

I've been reading a lot about recording shows, and I think I'm gonna try it. Anyone one here have any advice as far as equipment? Im not made of money, but I don't wanna buy a piece of shit either. Are there any recorders that specifically are good with movement? I want to get this all set up by Hangout or Roo, but if its true that I have to be completely still and whatnot, JAcket will not get a recording  :) It'd be great if I could get a trial run in Lexington, the Bright Eyes show in June and at the DBT show coming up. I will be looking into eBay and buying used goods. Any help would be appreciated.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

I guess Mini Disks are outdated, so scratch that.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

I was looking at the Zoom H2 actually, but I wanna make sure they have mic in outlets so the sound quality is listenable

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
I was looking at the Zoom H2 actually, but I wanna make sure they have mic in outlets so the sound quality is listenable
There's a "mic in/line in" jack on the H1. 

User reviews for recording live music are pretty positive, and its only $99.  It has a tripod mounting screw, but maybe Ryan Pickett will let you set it up by the soundboard.  Of course, that would keep you off the rail.

darkglow

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 12, 2011, 12:23 PM

User reviews for recording live music are pretty positive, and its only $99.  It has a tripod mounting screw, but maybe Ryan Pickett will let you set it up by the soundboard.  Of course, that would keep you off the rail.

splurge and buy this and then take one for the team back by the soundboard.

e_wind

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 12, 2011, 12:23 PM

splurge and buy this and then take one for the team back by the soundboard.

I'm thinking about taking one for the team at Lexingon, and could probably even take one for the team at a bunch of shows, but the festivals probably wont get recorded. I want one mainly for Roo to record bands that otherwise won't be recorded most likely.

johnnYYac

A comment from a customer review of the H1:

"FINAL NOTE FOR LIVE CONCERT RECORDING:

Other than that, I wish to say that I have now recorded live music with this thing (even bassy high-end PA and concert venue stuff) and it sounds phenomenal. I used to have a Sound Professionals rig with a DAT recorder, battery box and capsule microphones...naturally sounded great. But this is definitely comparable without the fuss of wires and rigging.

When you are recording a concert, you set the auto-levels to OFF and typically I am adjusting the levels (read the manual on how to do this) down to about 25. That seems to be the safest setting overall to prevent clipping or overloading (red light blinking rapidly when this happens) in your live music recording. I have recorded singers on a PA, live rock, orchestra over PA and various other amped and acoustic settings and they all come out really nice. This baby is where it's AT for me! :D Very happy."

e_wind

So is he saying no external mic? Weird. Hopefully illl get one of these and test it in Lexington alone

EasyRyder

I've been looking into the same stuff lately, and the Sony PCMM10 is supposedly better than the Zoom H2 and can be found at a comparable price. Check out the Amazon reviews for more factoids: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R56C4O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

My main thing is I can't find out if external mics are an absolute necessary for a worthwhile recording. Instinct and experience in seeing tapers at shows tells me yes, but my pocket book says nooo. 

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

darkglow

i think that external mics are better for outdoor venues where there's wind and etc and you can have a mic with a wind screen on it.. otherwise if you're indoors and not exposed to the elements i think the onboard mic would be just as good.

EasyRyder

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
i think that external mics are better for outdoor venues where there's wind and etc and you can have a mic with a wind screen on it.. otherwise if you're indoors and not exposed to the elements i think the onboard mic would be just as good.

That makes sense....I wonder if they have wind protectors for these little devices? That would probably look funny sitting on top of a tripod....so much for getting all the ladies at shows.

For all interested, http://taperssection.com/ has had the answers to most of my questions regarding this strange world of taping as of late. The people who post on that site are almost as cool as us Jacketeers  ;D

johnnYYac

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
Here's an H2 with a "shotgun mic"

and with a wind screen, looking like a Don King puppet

e_wind

Well, the h1 + a (real) sony ECM ds70p can be obtained on eBay for a little over 100$

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
I've been reading a lot about recording shows, and I think I'm gonna try it. Anyone one here have any advice as far as equipment? Im not made of money, but I don't wanna buy a piece of shit either. Are there any recorders that specifically are good with movement? I want to get this all set up by Hangout or Roo, but if its true that I have to be completely still and whatnot, JAcket will not get a recording  :) It'd be great if I could get a trial run in Lexington, the Bright Eyes show in June and at the DBT show coming up. I will be looking into eBay and buying used goods. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the Bright Eyes show in June, it would be so great if you recorded that! No one ever records BE shows... Okay, okay some do, but a very, very few and there's nothing I want more than a nice recording of the live version of Lua with Nate's trumpet... it's divine! :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

e_wind

Quote from: EasyRyder on Mar 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've been looking into the same stuff lately, and the Sony PCMM10 is supposedly better than the Zoom H2 and can be found at a comparable price. Check out the Amazon reviews for more factoids: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R56C4O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

My main thing is I can't find out if external mics are an absolute necessary for a worthwhile recording. Instinct and experience in seeing tapers at shows tells me yes, but my pocket book says nooo. 

Honestly I cant find any Sony recorders for less than 250. I think i'll go with the Zoom H1. I feel like its a really great product for the price. If I buy it and I become successful at recording but am not satisfied with the quality than I'd be willing to pick up something for several hundred. The H1 gets 10 hours of batter life plus can support a 32 gig mem card, and all for less than 100$ on ebay.

EasyRyder

I don't blame you. It may be wise to see if you like the whole meticulous process of recording before laying down any big bucks. Giving up the rail may be a challenge  ;D

Let us know how it turns out!