Main Menu

Kings of Leon 2.0

Started by columba78, Mar 15, 2011, 06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

columba78

Have never really been into Kings of Leon thought of them as a Colydplay or U2 kind of band. You know a band people say they like if they really do not know anything about music at all and want to seem sophisticated or listen to because "they are hip".

Last weekend I´ve got the last three albums from a friend  put them in my car stereo on my way to work and I have to say they are not as bad as I thought and actually I kind of like them......

Of course they are no MMJ but since  MMJ is the best Rock band since the last two or three decades and no band will ever be able to compete with them ever you have to give credit where credit is due and say that Kings of Leon is great band to listen to.

darkglow

hacksaw, is that you?
:-\

no but seriously.. i lost all my love and adoration for KOL after the release of "Only By The Night" when they hit the big-time and turned into cocky assholes. I had a friend in high school who was cousins with two of the guys in the band and all the way back to 01-02 she was trying to give away their demos burnt onto disc.. i watched them grow from a little, proud, hard-rocking, indie band in nashville to a bunch of assholes who cancel concert legs to film and do production on a music video and to avoid being shit on by pigeons.

the music they are writing now seems like they're trying to do covers of their old shit.

wolof7

Aha Shake Heartbreak and Youth and Young Manhood rock. There are elements of Because of the Times I enjoy. The other 2, can't get behind those.

The band is a buncha assholes, it's hard to remove that from the music sometimes. Kinda like Kanye with less natural talent.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

rincon

Quote from: darkglow on Mar 15, 2011, 06:56 AM
hacksaw, is that you?
:-\

no but seriously.. i lost all my love and adoration for KOL after the release of "Only By The Night" when they hit the big-time and turned into cocky assholes. I had a friend in high school who was cousins with two of the guys in the band and all the way back to 01-02 she was trying to give away their demos burnt onto disc.. i watched them grow from a little, proud, hard-rocking, indie band in nashville to a bunch of assholes who cancel concert legs to film and do production on a music video and to avoid being shit on by pigeons.

the music they are writing now seems like they're trying to do covers of their old shit.
"I had a friend in high school who was cousins with two of the guys"

Since the band is 3 brothers and a first cousin, shouldn't your friend be cousins to at least 3 if not all four members?
I know little about their personality, but the music is not bad by any means. At least it is rock that does not sound like a Green Day rip off like most of the stuff that passes for rock that young people listen to these days.

Tracy 2112

They didn't write their old shit so technically they are trying to cover their old shit; Angelo Petraglia wrote most of it on the first 2 albums, that's why the first 2 albums were so great; those albums seemed to be written by these harsh and brazen men in their late teens and early twenties, but they were actually written by a guy in his 40's who could never pull off the image at his age. He left them, they began to suck, and they got famous.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

bold992006

their first few albums were good.  then they went on tour with U2 and wanted to be U2...which they are not..so they made bad albums.  That is my opinion.

They forgot that they are from Tennesse.

columba78

I don´t think they are anything like U2, U2 sucks big time and have not made anything decent since "War".

Maybe I like KoL because I have just discovered them now and am completely "unbiased" towards their music and not disappointed of them becoming "sell-outs" .

But it may also have to do with the girl who gave me their music and I am liking their music ´cause of other reasons :)

Tracy 2112

Quote from: columba78 on Mar 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
I don´t think they are anything like U2, U2 sucks big time and have not made anything decent since "War".

Not here to argue, but the U2 albums, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are pretty amazing, IMO. Hell, I'll even throw in Zooropa. 

e_wind

I agree, their personality is so bad I can't remove it from the music. I hate u2 way more though.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 09:29 AM

They didn't write their old shit so technically they are trying to cover their old shit; Angelo Petraglia wrote most of it on the first 2 albums, that's why the first 2 albums were so great; those albums seemed to be written by these harsh and brazen men in their late teens and early twenties, but they were actually written by a guy in his 40's who could never pull off the image at his age. He left them, they began to suck, and they got famous.

He never left them.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Mar 15, 2011, 02:44 PM

He never left them.

He may be co-producing them, but he is no longer co-writing their material. In Nashville, he was dubbed as the "fifith" member of KOL after those first 2 records; not so much anymore.

Bigsky

el_chode

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 02:53 PM

He never left them.

He may be co-producing them, but he is no longer co-writing their material. In Nashville, he was dubbed as the "fifith" member of KOL after those first 2 records; not so much anymore.

Is this all real or are you just making shit up? Because if this is real, it is sort of depressing yet explains so much about the band.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 02:53 PM

He never left them.

Is this all real or are you just making shit up? Because if this is real, it is sort of depressing yet explains so much about the band.

if tracy's right, it makes sense because i've yet to read any interviews where they're talking about the songs (or referencing a song, or a lyric, or anything like that)..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Tracy 2112

Making shit up? I know plenty of musicians in Nashville who hated KOL after 1 album! No indie creds after 1 album? Why so? Go to AMG and see who gets composer credits on ALL songs from the first album and NONE of the last 3. It's Angelo.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/youth--young-manhood-r648422

http://www.allmusic.com/album/come-around-sundown-r2013313

And I love their first 2 albums, I think Youth and Young Manhood is amazing. We would go see them in Nashville all the time 7 years ago. But their new stuff does absolutely nothing for me. I dunno, maybe they got better after Angelo quit co-writing for them and it's just me ???

TheBigChicken

I gree with Tracy,the 1st album is amazing....2nd album well and then they just lost me
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

el_chode

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 04:00 PM

Making shit up? I know plenty of musicians in Nashville who hated KOL after 1 album! No indie creds after 1 album? Why so? Go to AMG and see who gets composer credits on ALL songs from the first album and NONE of the last 3. It's Angelo.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/youth--young-manhood-r648422

http://www.allmusic.com/album/come-around-sundown-r2013313

And I love their first 2 albums, I think Youth and Young Manhood is amazing. We would go see them in Nashville all the time 7 years ago. But their new stuff does absolutely nothing for me. I dunno, maybe they got better after Angelo quit co-writing for them and it's just me ???

No I think anyone can objectively say there is a sharp divide between A ha shake and whatever followed that. I don't mind that album, but it starts to sound extremely polished and way less fun. Polished in a bad way actually. Well, that third album is OK polished, reminds me of the Whigs in the studio as well (Whigs are better). But whatever "Sex on Fire" was on sounded so glossy and over-done and the lyrics sounded like they were trying to be a tribute band to their first 2 albums
I'm surrounded by assholes

bold99

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2011, 12:52 PM

Not here to argue, but the U2 albums, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby are pretty amazing, IMO. Hell, I'll even throw in Zooropa.

I agree...Actung Baby is  probably my favorite album of theirs.  To say they having made a good album since War is just silly.

KOL sucks..my girlfriend at the time took me to see them, live they sounded like they were lipsyncing, it sounded just like the record note for note...they were awful.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

rincon

Maybe I like KoL because I have just discovered them now and am completely "unbiased" towards their music and not disappointed of them becoming "sell-outs" .

But it may also have to do with the girl who gave me their music and I am liking their music ´cause of other reasons :)
For any fan of MMJ to say everything U2 did after War sucks makes no sense to me. Steam Engine, quite possibly my all time favorite song, would fit perfectly on side one of The Unforgettable Fire. I would bet Radiohead and MMJ  are fans of that album.

bold992006

Quote from: rincon on Mar 17, 2011, 03:18 AM

For any fan of MMJ to say everything U2 did after War sucks makes no sense to me. Steam Engine, quite possibly my all time favorite song, would fit perfectly on side one of The Unforgettable Fire. I would bet Radiohead and MMJ  are fans of that album.

U2 get a lot of crap and some of it is deserved...but the bottom line is they are an awesome rock band.  Gideon is a U2 song...it is a rock anthem the way U2 songs are rock Anthems.  Some of my favorite shows ever have been U2 shows....their Zoo TV tour was incredible as was the Elevation tour.