Open Letter to MMJ (Concert Setlist Reform)

Started by el_chode, Sep 02, 2009, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteI've always thought that they could NAIL some Faces tunes. That'd be sweet if they booked a tour under an alias band name and did full sets of covers at dives across the country. That's my dream...one of 'em anyway.

a Wicked Messenger or Around The Plynth cover would make me jizz in my pants

The Faces are legit....I never knew why so many people thought Rod Stewart was cool until I found out he was in the Faces for a few albums and also a couple great ones with Jeff Beck.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteI've always thought that they could NAIL some Faces tunes. That'd be sweet if they booked a tour under an alias band name and did full sets of covers at dives across the country. That's my dream...one of 'em anyway.

;D  (One of them anyway.)

The Faces rule.  

i also enjoy the  Faces.  My fiancee loves singing Ohh La La  :-*

I wish I knew all I know now
when I was younger
God damn those shaky knees.

jsandr

only thing I would say is that I wish MMJ would explore the rarities in their own catalogue at the 'special' shows rather than the covers. I loved Bonnaroo in 08, but then had to miss NYE, and, seeing the setlist, I don't think I would have been as blown away.

I'd love to see the guys mix up there setlists more... maybe add an acoustic chorale-esque portion to the show.

they've got an absolute shit-ton of material to draw from at this point.

I bring this up b/c of my wonderful experience over 2 nights last fall in Phoenix and Tucson, where they busted out 'The Dark', 'Rollin Back', 'Easy Morning Rebel', 'Just One THing', 'The Bear' and 'Into the Woods' over those two shows. Not to take for granted songs like War Begun and Cobra which had become tour staples.

More than just about any band out there, MMJ's reworkings of their own older songs are fantastic! THere are so many songs from Tenn Fire and At Dawn that sound so tiny on the record that would be so great in a refurbished form: see 'It's About Twilight Now'.

That's my only suggestion for MMJ in the future. Here's to hoping they come back swingin next year!

AMightyCaporal

Quoteonly thing I would say is that I wish MMJ would explore the rarities in their own catalogue at the 'special' shows rather than the covers. I loved Bonnaroo in 08, but then had to miss NYE, and, seeing the setlist, I don't think I would have been as blown away.

I'd love to see the guys mix up there setlists more... maybe add an acoustic chorale-esque portion to the show.

they've got an absolute shit-ton of material to draw from at this point.

I bring this up b/c of my wonderful experience over 2 nights last fall in Phoenix and Tucson, where they busted out 'The Dark', 'Rollin Back', 'Easy Morning Rebel', 'Just One THing', 'The Bear' and 'Into the Woods' over those two shows. Not to take for granted songs like War Begun and Cobra which had become tour staples.

More than just about any band out there, MMJ's reworkings of their own older songs are fantastic! THere are so many songs from Tenn Fire and At Dawn that sound so tiny on the record that would be so great in a refurbished form: see 'It's About Twilight Now'.

That's my only suggestion for MMJ in the future. Here's to hoping they come back swingin next year!

Funny, getting ready this morning I was having nearly the same exact thought- I was planning on posting about it today, but you beat me to it.

I would love for them to dip into older stuff. NYE blew my mind but I was thinking, maybe too many covers and not enough of the music from the band that brought us all there.  

I am not complaining at all- NYE was an unforgettable experience, and when I heard the opening horns from Move On Up, my heart nearly busted out of my chest with excitement.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

el_chode

I was listening to some Jimi today. And I realized there are certain songs that "everyone" covers, and of these songs, there are two types: songs you're tired of everyone covering (All Along the Watch Tower), and songs that sound great every time someone covers them (She Said, She Said).

I'd like to see them expand into some of these "classics". And I'd like them to start with "Crosstown Traffic"
I'm surrounded by assholes