Best Books ... chosen by Jim James

Started by markcel, Oct 01, 2009, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markcel

I was sitting down to finish up this weeks issue of The Week, when who do I discover did this issues Best book selections, our very own Jim James.  

Here's the link:

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/100776/Best_books__chosen_by_Jim_James

:-?

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI was sitting down to finish up this weeks issue of The Week, when who do I discover did this issues Best book selections, our very own Jim James.  

Here's the link:

looks like I've got some books to buy- I tried reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius but I couldn't get into it. that was a few years ago- maybe I'll try again.  I loved What is the What- what a powerful book.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Love Dogg

QuoteI was sitting down to finish up this weeks issue of The Week, when who do I discover did this issues Best book selections, our very own Jim James.  

Here's the link:

looks like I've got some books to buy- I tried reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius but I couldn't get into it. that was a few years ago- maybe I'll try again.  I loved What is the What- what a powerful book.

You should.  Dave Eggers is great.  He's one of those voices of a generation that I personally dig.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

el_chode

What? No typical list of pretending to "really be into" the beatniks?

I wish I could suggest something, but the most interesting read I just had was an argument in favor of the destruction of copyrights.
I'm surrounded by assholes

xmascriminal

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is my favorite book.

Nikkogino

QuoteWhat? No typical list of pretending to "really be into" the beatniks?

I wish I could suggest something, but the most interesting read I just had was an argument in favor of the destruction of copyrights.

Yeah, and I bet you'd be down with doing that for musicians too.  Let's not buy the album....we'll just download it when it leaks.  

el_chode

QuoteWhat? No typical list of pretending to "really be into" the beatniks?

Yeah, and I bet you'd be down with doing that for musicians too.  Let's not buy the album....we'll just download it when it leaks.  

Except that's not what the book is about.

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteA Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is my favorite book.

ME TOO!!!!!!! I grew up in the Bay,  and had my older brother raise me, so I could really relate.
God damn those shaky knees.

apotheosis

"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" is my best friend's favorite book.  She has really good taste.

el_chode

Probably the last fiction book I ever read:

Where the Red Fern Grows

I don't use smiley faces often, but goddamn  :'(

pawpaw

The Story of Ferdinand  8-) That's awesome, just made my day. I'd forgotten about Ferdinand. I'm going to go buy this for my son on my way home.  :) Thanks Jim (and markcel for posting)!

I've read a few of the others listed too. Nice little list!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

AMightyCaporal

I'm reading "Be Here Now"  Just got started but can tell already that it's going to be an experience for my mind and soul.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Cameron

i read wind up bird chronicle a few years back.  it's a wild ride of a story.

Soulshine

QuoteI'm reading "Be Here Now"  Just got started but can tell already that it's going to be an experience for my mind and soul.

It is. Enjoy it.  :)
Because we're all in this together...

lasvegas

QuoteThe Story of Ferdinand  8-) That's awesome, just made my day. I'd forgotten about Ferdinand. I'm going to go buy this for my son on my way home.  :) Thanks Jim (and markcel for posting)!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5B8ID3zLA[/media]
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Soulshine

QuoteThe Story of Ferdinand  8-) That's awesome, just made my day. I'd forgotten about Ferdinand. I'm going to go buy this for my son on my way home.  :) Thanks Jim (and markcel for posting)!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5B8ID3zLA[/media]

When I was a kid I named my kitty cat Ferdinand b/c of this book  :)
Because we're all in this together...

bold99

Monkey Wrench Gang is a great book...I read the sequel to it also, great characters.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...