Newport Folk Festival, July 30 & 31, 2011

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 28, 2011, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wolof7

I have it on goos authority that Delta Spirit is on the bill. It's a great festival, i've attended the past 5 yrs, always a great time.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

I plan to make this.    The lineup is actually being released tonight at a party downtown which I may stop by if I can swing it.   If there's any HUGE news (a la Yimmy Yames) I will report in but that's probably too much too hope for as he's done 08 and 10.   The MMJ touring calendar would allow it!

Yes, Delta Spirit is confirmed- they posted on facebook.

If you really can't wait until tomorrow, much has been pieced together by obsessive investigators (much kudos to them) - see here
http://festival-outlook.consequenceofsound.net/fests/view/421/newport-folk-festival

ALady

Delta Spirit, Wanda Jackson, and Carolina Chocolate Drops have all confirmed via Facebook.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

wolof7

Quote from: ALady on Mar 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
Delta Spirit, Wanda Jackson, and Carolina Chocolate Drops have all confirmed via Facebook.

As have Middle Brother, the Decemberists and the What Cheer? Brigade. Hoping for Fleet Foxes and an acoustic MMJ set. Their music would scare off the folkies.

johnnYYac

These are likely (from the link Kyle provided up top). 

Amos Lee  official .
Brown Bird  official .
Carolina Chocolate Drops  official .
David Wax Museum  official .
Delta Spirit  official .
Elvis Costello  expected .
Freelance Whales  official .
Gogol Bordello  official .
Justin Townes Earle  official .
Tegan & Sara  official .
The Civil Wars  official .
The Decemberists  official .
The Felice Brothers  official .
Trampled By Turtles  expected [evidence] .
Typhoon  official .
Wanda Jackson  official .
What Cheer? Brigade  official 

wolof7

Deertick's FB page says Dawes, Delta Spirit, Deertick and Middle Brother will all be playing :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
Deertick's FB page says Dawes, Delta Spirit, Deertick and Middle Brother will all be playing :thumbsup:
I'd be pretty pumped to see Elvis Costello, actually.  Caught a live performance on Palladia HD a couple months ago (his keyboard player had an Omnichord!) and decided I'd like to catch him live.

He's also announce for State Theatre in Portland, Maine on July 28, so he'll be in the area for Newport couple of days later. 

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 29, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'd be pretty pumped to see Elvis Costello, actually.  Caught a live performance on Palladia HD a couple months ago (his keyboard player had an Omnichord!) and decided I'd like to catch him live.

He's also announce for State Theatre in Portland, Maine on July 28, so he'll be in the area for Newport couple of days later.

Acoustic Elvis on my birthday 8) ;D It really can't beat last year's Yim on my birthday, winding up behind the fort in the artists area and wimping out on saying thank you and hello to Yim when I walked by him...but... at least this year I would know who JohnnYYac is when he jumps into my camrea frame...lol I knew he had to be on the forum with the American Dad tshirt! That was great photo magic Johnny!

mahg33ta

It actually says Middle Brother (dawes+delta spirit+deertick) will be playing.   I wasn't sure how to interpret that either- sure hoped it was the way you were suggesting, but I don't think so.   

Full lineup up at the Folk Festival website.   M Ward was a nice bonus.   I'll definitely be there.

wolof7

Yea i think you  are right on that Mahg33ta, I'm sure their set will include their current communal nature with all 3 bands.

Fun lineup tho, happy Brown Bird got on their they live on my street! M. Ward is always great, wonder who his special guests will be. Also Wonder if Jack White will be around considering Wanda Jackson is on the lineup

headhunter

nice lineup although w/o yim not a must see.

still, the vibe at newport is always awesome and i am hoping to attend again (for about the 10th time)
was some shakin' and some record playin'

e_wind

I think the line up is actually pretty awesome. I'm far away so I wont be attending but its a nice one
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

bold99

So pumped for Brown Bird and What Cheer! Brigade.  My friend shot the lineup announcement video and a few of my friends are in it.  Also can't wait for Devil Makes Three.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

bold99

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Yea i think you  are right on that Mahg33ta, I'm sure their set will include their current communal nature with all 3 bands.

Fun lineup tho, happy Brown Bird got on their they live on my street! M. Ward is always great, wonder who his special guests will be. Also Wonder if Jack White will be around considering Wanda Jackson is on the lineup

Also the Third Man rolling record store is going to be there..so always a chance Jack will be there...espeically with Wanda there.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

mahg33ta

Live stream this weekend- schedule posted today:

Many good choices IMO (but no Middle brother  :()

http://www.npr.org/series/newport-folk-festival/

YouAre_GivenToFly

Such a bummer I'm not going this year... last year was great!
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

I'll be there on Saturday + the Deer Tick post fest show at Newport Blues Cafe.
Can't wait, it's my first trip to Newport, my first Delta Spirit show. I'm thinking there's going to be some Middle Brother action Sat night since everyone is in town.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'll be there on Saturday + the Deer Tick post fest show at Newport Blues Cafe.
Can't wait, it's my first trip to Newport, my first Delta Spirit show. I'm thinking there's going to be some Middle Brother action Sat night since everyone is in town.

there is a benefit BBQ sat 7:30 - 10:30 (after the folk festival and before the deer tick show) that low anthem and middle brother are playing at.   McCauley posted that he'll be taking a cab from the BBQ to the show so I'm betting he'll drag along middle brother.
On the facebook page it says to expect some "spectacular" special guests.   

wolof7

On vacation outta state starting this week, enjoy guys...first year I'm missin the fest in quite a few yrs...

...Enjoy the fruits of RI for those first-timers, ill be sendin good vibes your way.... :beer: