studio releases vs. live recordings

Started by headhunter, Mar 31, 2011, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

Relaxing at home tonight listening to Z on vinyl.  Most of what I listen to when I'm spending time with MMJ is live stuff.  With the upcoming release of Circuital I'm thinking it will be a return to getting drunk on the new "studio stuff" for awhile.

Curious about how much everyone listens to the official releases compared to listening to Okonokos and the shows that we download?   It's all good but how I love the live stuff.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Ruckus

The two albums that I really enjoy listening to in their entirety are At Dawn and Z.  Other than those two, I much rather listen to any number of their live recordings including Okonokos.  Odd as it may seem, I'm not a big fan of It Still Moves anymore because the live versions of those songs are so superior to the album versions (IMHO) that I just prefer those.  But that's why I make mixes of my favorite album cuts that don't make many of their live setlists.

Happy listening Jeff :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Maybe the question is what do we drink whilst listening to each album? I like my At Dawn with an aged Kentuckey bourbon and my Z with a sharp Merlot. I'm a beer-dinkin It Still Move's man myself...:thumbsup:

...But yeah I think I take in studio v. live equally. I listened to At Dawn studio back and forth to work all week and listened to shows on archive whilst at work (plus some m ward, timber timbre and futurebirds on grooveshark)

whilst
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

tdb810

I would definitely say that I have historically listened to a lot more live stuff. The energy that comes across in these recordings is just irresistible. I do, however sometimes enjoy the crispness of the studio albums. 
50 days till my next show!!!!! :thumbsup:
.....Back at the Model Home

petemoss

Since you guys some to be really well versed in live recordings, I have a question for you.
The first couple times I saw MMJ, they played phone went west with that really rocking outro. The last time I heard it live was on the live e.p and they didnt do the ending I was used to seeing them do live. Maybe it was a Johnny thing.
Anyways, can someone point me to where I could a good quality mp3 of that song like they used to play it in the old days?
Thanks so much!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 31, 2011, 09:30 PM
Odd as it may seem, I'm not a big fan of It Still Moves anymore because the live versions of those songs are so superior to the album versions (IMHO) that I just prefer those. 

This. But I'll go with the slow ones from the studio.

My friend Tom used to say it sounds like they recorded It Still Moves as if they were trying not to wake up Johnny's parents.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

johnnYYac

Quote from: petemoss on Apr 01, 2011, 09:24 AM
Since you guys some to be really well versed in live recordings, I have a question for you.
The first couple times I saw MMJ, they played phone went west with that really rocking outro. The last time I heard it live was on the live e.p and they didnt do the ending I was used to seeing them do live. Maybe it was a Johnny thing.
Anyways, can someone point me to where I could a good quality mp3 of that song like they used to play it in the old days?
Thanks so much!
So if I'm reading this right, you dig the guitar jam outro during the Johnny Quaid era.  Here's an mp3 audio rip from the Mercury 2003-06-03 DVD.  I'm currently ripping the whole DVD audio and will post here when done.

MMJ PWW 2003-06-03: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9IRJQ06N

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

petemoss

wolof7

I agree petemoss, that outro does kick major ass and i think they should bring it back.  :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

headhunter

was some shakin' and some record playin'

aperlst

Typically ALWAYS enjoy live recordings much more.  I used to collect a lot of bootlegs (Phish, Umphrey's McGee, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones).  But certain albums should be heard studio, like Pink Floyd, Radiohead... just depends I guess.  The bottom line is...

I LOVE LIVE MUSIC!!!!

-Adam

johnnYYac

Thanks so much!
I just listened to this and took 5 minutes digging up this thread.  Here's another good version of Phone Went West from the Live at 930 Club 08-16-2002 recording.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKJPGZ2E

e_wind

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much!
I just listened to this and took 5 minutes digging up this thread.  Here's another good version of Phone Went West from the Live at 930 Club 08-16-2002 recording.

I have to say the PWW at the YUM center was 12+ minutes and pretty god damn rockin. I believe it was the same at t5, but there is an audio recording available on the archive of the yum center.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 11, 2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much!

I have to say the PWW at the YUM center was 12+ minutes and pretty god damn rockin. I believe it was the same at t5, but there is an audio recording available on the archive of the yum center.
Agreed.  I just listened to that show last weekend.  An awesome, epic PWW, but not the early version with the 21 guitar salute at the end.  Still, must've been worth the price of admission.  Check it out here:

http://ia600108.us.archive.org/9/items/mmj2010-10-29.ccm41.flac/mmj2010-10-29t21.mp3

Click to play; right-click and Save Target As to download.

MMJ_fanatic

The scales are tilted toward the studio recordings (especially the 1st 3) for me--as much as I love the guys live I first fell hard for the studios (and will always have a soft spot for At Dawn).
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.