Main Menu

Trail of Dead

Started by el_chode, Feb 08, 2011, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

New one is out today, "Tao of The Dead"

I've been a huge fan of these guys  since I first heard their shit on my college radio. Worlds Apart is one of my favorite albums of the past 10 years, but the follow up bored me. So far the new one is pretty melodic with strangely shorter tracks. Good flow. Not nearly as gritty as their earlier stuff.

Any other fans?
I'm surrounded by assholes

MarkW

Love Source Tags and Codes, and they're excellent live, too.  Might have to give the new one a go...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

el_chode

It's somewhat different sounding. Not that you wouldn't recognize the band, but their last few releases are more "albums" than a random collection of songs.

I'm liking it a lot. one song even almost sounds...dare I say...happy

wolof7

For some reason this is one of those bands in which I feel that I really like what I hear but I just don't understand the music or what their going for. I have the same problem with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at times. I'll try and give this album a spin.

What I do know is that the coverart kicks ass!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

El Chode's Primer:

If this first song doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing will (gotta play it in its entirety)

Trail of Dead - Will You Smile Again? (Live)

and of all the political drivel to come out in music during the Bush Era, this song is one of the few that actually doesn't sound like it's trying too hard to be pissed because it sells albums (language warning):

world apart - And you will know us by the trail of dead
The Rest Will Follow
...Trail Of Dead - "Caterwaul"

Early stuff:

Trail of Dead - Relative Ways (Live)

wolof7

Thanks for all that, great stuff. Definitely need to give them some more time.....Addtionally I did get through their new album....The Ship Impossible is EPIC! Enjoyed what they had to say about it too:

"It's the way I listened to albums when I was a kid, seeing as some of my favorite records were Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Yes' Relayer and Close to the Edge, and Rush's Hemispheres," the 38-year-old rocker says. "I always liked listening to records that were just a continuous piece, like an orchestra or a symphony
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 09, 2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all that, great stuff. Definitely need to give them some more time.....Addtionally I did get through their new album....The Ship Impossible is EPIC! Enjoyed what they had to say about it too:

"It's the way I listened to albums when I was a kid, seeing as some of my favorite records were Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Yes' Relayer and Close to the Edge, and Rush's Hemispheres," the 38-year-old rocker says. "I always liked listening to records that were just a continuous piece, like an orchestra or a symphony

Check out Worlds Apart then. I push it hardo nly because I remember them getting a lot of flak for it, and I thought it was really undeserved. Definitely marks their transition to that whole album approach. Of the first 4 clips I posted, the first two and last two are "continuous". I couldnt' find a good version of the in-between song (Summer of '91)

Ruckus

I've surprisingly enjoyed the new one more than I had expected.  There are still times when they sound like a crappy punk band but then they do something real cool and my building hissy fit abates.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bluesky

really never listened to them, but am seeing them in April at the Bowery bcs Surfer Blood is opening 

MarkW

Love the new album, Chode!  As you say, different from Source Tags, but still recognisably Trail of Dead.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side