Media reviews/comments/stuff

Started by SaraBananaBear, Apr 12, 2011, 03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

I think I made a thread like this a while ago, but I can't remember what I named it or find it when I try to search for it... So, if someone with forum powers finds it and wants to merge it, go ahead! I just think it's fun to collect quotes and stuff from different media outlets :)

I like how the word "epic" comes up in more than one article/post  :thumbsup:

"Circuital's title track, a warm, comfortable mini-epic that manages to be both immediately familiar and sonically adventurous over the span of its seven minutes"
(http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/04/my_morning_jacket_return_pleas.html)

"It takes an awful lot of moxie (or a very full beard) to drop a single that long, but luckily, MMJ frontman Jim James has both in excess. And he brings it all to "Circuital": The angelic ethereal hum in the intro quickly gives way to a scratchy guitar line, a subtle drum pulse and James' Sweet Tea-soaked voice intoning lines about "going back to my childhood ways.""
(http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/04/12/my-morning-jacket-circuital-single/)

:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

mahg33ta

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Apr 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
"It takes an awful lot of moxie (or a very full beard) to drop a single that long, but luckily, MMJ frontman Jim James has both in excess.

LOVE that line

EasyRyder

Pretty positive words from RS regarding Circuital (the song):

"A shimmering curtain of Eno-incensed atmospherics, a muted kick drum, a dry guitar figure. Then Jim James, dressed in reverb, declares he is "going back to my childhood way." And so he does on a track that recalls 2001's At Dawn more than 2008's genre-hopping Evil Urges: Vigorous acoustic strumming teases an arena crescendo, drops out for a verse, then all the guitars kick in, classic MMJ with a dash of the Edge and a dollop of Neil Young. The title track of the forthcoming LP will be a live burner, no doubt. Here, it's a philosophical stalemate whose sonic bliss-out feels too short, even at seven-plus minutes. But it's still plenty blissful."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songreviews/circuital-20110412
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: mahg33ta on Apr 12, 2011, 05:42 PM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Apr 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
"It takes an awful lot of moxie (or a very full beard) to drop a single that long, but luckily, MMJ frontman Jim James has both in excess.

LOVE that line

Agreed! :)

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Pretty positive words from RS regarding Circuital (the song):

"A shimmering curtain of Eno-incensed atmospherics, a muted kick drum, a dry guitar figure. Then Jim James, dressed in reverb, declares he is "going back to my childhood way." And so he does on a track that recalls 2001's At Dawn more than 2008's genre-hopping Evil Urges: Vigorous acoustic strumming teases an arena crescendo, drops out for a verse, then all the guitars kick in, classic MMJ with a dash of the Edge and a dollop of Neil Young. The title track of the forthcoming LP will be a live burner, no doubt. Here, it's a philosophical stalemate whose sonic bliss-out feels too short, even at seven-plus minutes. But it's still plenty blissful."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songreviews/circuital-20110412

Good one!  :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

A different take from Rolling Stone, the magazine itself, not the website.

RS Issue 1129, April 28, 2011, page 32, Hot List, #5, My Morning Jacket, "Circuital"

"Weighing in at more than seven minutes of mystical epicness, the first single from MMJ's new album boasts Who-style rhythm breaks and gloriously ragged Neil Young-y solos.  Is it still legal to make rock this classic? (Not in Utah!)"

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SaraBananaBear

I don't know if this is a spoiler for those who want to stay spoiler free... if so, at least it's a very vague general spoiler! From my favorite Swedish journalist's twitter:

"There are, not surprisingly, songs on My Morning Jackets upcoming album that are so magnificent that I kneel down and fold my hands."

The translation is so and so, but you get the picture! :D And to put it in context, we're a country of atheists for the most part.

EasyRyder

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Apr 23, 2011, 04:45 AM
I don't know if this is a spoiler for those who want to stay spoiler free... if so, at least it's a very vague general spoiler! From my favorite Swedish journalist's twitter:

"There are, not surprisingly, songs on My Morning Jackets upcoming album that are so magnificent that I kneel down and fold my hands."

The translation is so and so, but you get the picture! :D And to put it in context, we're a country of atheists for the most part.

;D  ;D Oh goodness...this is so great. I can't wait to hear everyone's reactions, but this one is wonderful.

Maybe Circuital will have the unintended effect of saving the souls of all you Swedish heathens  ;)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Apr 23, 2011, 04:45 AM

;D  ;D Oh goodness...this is so great. I can't wait to hear everyone's reactions, but this one is wonderful.

Maybe Circuital will have the unintended effect of saving the souls of all you Swedish heathens  ;)

Hahaha, maybe so! Though I think my soul is unsavable. The only thing I believe in is the music of MMJ!  :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.