MMJ & Co Complete Vinyl / Catalogue

Started by e_wind, Apr 18, 2011, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedgin

Can someone tell me how long as At Dawn been out of print?

johnnYYac

Quote from: Swedgin on Jan 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Can someone tell me how long as At Dawn been out of print?
According to Discogs, there was a repressing in 2008 (blue/green vinyl).  Side note: the track listing included something I hadn't seen before, listed after Strangulation...

Mediate, Try Not To Hate, Love Yer Mate, Like Sex On 8
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Swedgin

a black vinyl At Dawn is currently on ebay, but it's getting too expensive for me to buy. It's missing the CD as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230735053501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

subinai

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 21, 2012, 04:38 PM

I have the same residue problem with three copies of C&I.  I looked into cleaning and moved the discs into paper sleeves, but the damage is done.  Even the newer "splatter" version is damaged by the vinyl sleeve.  I wonder why they use the damn things.

did you have any success with cleaning? just curious. i have a few records that were bought/stored in clear plastic sleeves like c&i that have the same problem. i read that alcohol based cleaning like nitty gritty might help. also read about putting wood glue on the record and spreading it on the surface. wait till it dries then peel it off. apparently the residue will peel off with the glue. sounds dicey.

oistheone

For what it's worth, colored vinyl (especially records with complicated color patterns) is notorious for sounding like shit. That doesn't mean ALL colored vinyl is going to sound like this, but for this record in particular, chances are the playback quality will not improve much with cleaning.

I've got a Nitty Gritty vacuum record cleaner, and while the thing works miracles on most records, I have a very hard time eliminating all the crackle from seemingly clean colored records and picture discs.

buymycar

Quote from: subinai on Jan 28, 2012, 12:54 PM

I have the same residue problem with three copies of C&I.  I looked into cleaning and moved the discs into paper sleeves, but the damage is done.  Even the newer "splatter" version is damaged by the vinyl sleeve.  I wonder why they use the damn things.

did you have any success with cleaning? just curious. i have a few records that were bought/stored in clear plastic sleeves like c&i that have the same problem. i read that alcohol based cleaning like nitty gritty might help. also read about putting wood glue on the record and spreading it on the surface. wait till it dries then peel it off. apparently the residue will peel off with the glue. sounds dicey.

Cleaning a Record with Wood Glue

subinai

Yeah, Okonokos vinyl is rare and/or expensive (only one on eBay is $100!  :o ) 
Discogs shows 2 for sale from Denmark, new and sealed, starting at $60.

i emailed badman records on a whim to see if they had any copies of okonokos vinyl around that they could sell. turns out they had a copy of it with a damaged back cover. also got a copy of Z with a bent corner and the splatter chocolate & ice. $70 shipped. not bad!

kotchishm

Man wish this would have come up earlier, I got Okonokos on vinyl from Amazon for $39 a few months back.  They are sold out now but I would keep an eye out
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Im The Dude

I just bought on ebay "School's Out' 7 inch. Does anyone else have this ? if so did you get yours from ebay?
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 06, 2012, 04:20 PM
Man wish this would have come up earlier, I got Okonokos on vinyl from Amazon for $39 a few months back.  They are sold out now but I would keep an eye out

Holy Cats! Deal of the century right there...
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

jcoyote

So, the clear plastic sleeves are worse than the paper sleeves?  I was going to replace most of my paper with plastic.  I was under the impression that the paper causes more static.  What kind of residue does it leave?  I picked up a new copy of At Dawn on black vinyl a couple of days ago for $26.  I did not realize it was oop.  What kind of residue does it leave? 

kotchishm

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Feb 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 06, 2012, 04:20 PM

Holy Cats! Deal of the century right there...

It was actually in April and it was $34.71 with shipping, here is the link.  They randomly get some of the weirdest stuff so it wouldn't surprise me to see 5-10 pop up at some point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEZCAM/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

johnnYYac

Quote from: jcoyote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
So, the clear plastic sleeves are worse than the paper sleeves?  I was going to replace most of my paper with plastic.  I was under the impression that the paper causes more static.  What kind of residue does it leave?  I picked up a new copy of At Dawn on black vinyl a couple of days ago for $26.  I did not realize it was oop.  What kind of residue does it leave?
The heavy vinyl sleeves used for Choc. & Ice, as well as the ISM, Z, and EU picture discs, seem to be the problem.  On three different copies of C&I, the disc surface has visible residue, though I can't say specifically what it is.  I tried cleaning a few times without improvement.  In the meantime, I've moved all of these pic discs to paper sleeves, which are then stored in the original vinyl sleeve (except for C&I, which has crimped corners). 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

danz

I think plastic is just more abrasive to vinyl than paper.  It's a commonly known problem in the record biz.

aMillionDreams

Quote from: Im The Dude on Feb 09, 2012, 01:39 PM
I just bought on ebay "School's Out' 7 inch. Does anyone else have this ? if so did you get yours from ebay?

Yep, snagged mine from the original label before they sold out, about 6 years ago.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

aMillionDreams

Eric- I didn't see that 7" picture dics that had that awful skit from NYE where Tommy cannibalizes the rest of the band.   

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now.

e_wind

added FA/OMS 7" and Choc and ice new splatter
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

subinai

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 10, 2012, 11:22 AM
Quote from: jcoyote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
The heavy vinyl sleeves used for Choc. & Ice, as well as the ISM, Z, and EU picture discs, seem to be the problem.  On three different copies of C&I, the disc surface has visible residue, though I can't say specifically what it is.  I tried cleaning a few times without improvement.  In the meantime, I've moved all of these pic discs to paper sleeves, which are then stored in the original vinyl sleeve (except for C&I, which has crimped corners).

shiiitttt is there residue on your picture discs? i havent checked mine yet. noooo.

aMillionDreams

Quote from: ChronicHunger on Jun 02, 2011, 02:22 AM
Speaking of Holy Grails....I remember around the time/or a little after when elizbethtown came out people were talking about a ruckus ep....Anyone ever find out if it exists?

Just saw this post.  Yes, it does exist.  Likely something Cameron Crowe produced and sent to friends.  It has Ruckus' version of Freebird on it.

Also, Cameron Crowe made a movie poster for Elizabethtown that said Jim's name real big and featured him prominently.  Cameron sent the only known copy to Jim's mom.

jones

Has there been more than one pressing of Z? I want to start getting the studio albums, but I only want to aim for HQ versions. I am wary of some of the stuff I see on eBay. I currently have Circuital (standard), Okonokos, C & I (splatter), and Friends Again 7". I did just order the red copy of Acoustic Citsuoca thanks to Yac's warning.