Louisville tips

Started by jOOlZ, Apr 21, 2011, 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jOOlZ

Hey everyone

I'm a British journo coming to Kentucky for the first time next week on a press trip with short stays in both Louisville & Lexington.

Although I'll have limited time to explore on my own I'd really like to check out any key landmarks associated with the band, esp key record shops, venues in their story, places where they might have recorded/rehearsed etc.

If anyone fancies meeting up for a quick beer, that'd be welcome too.  :)

One snag is that I don't drive. I'll be dropped off in the museum district for a few hours and am staying at the Galt House Hotel on N Forth St.

Appreciate all and any suggestions, very excited to be soon walking the hallowed turf of one of my top musical idols!  :D

Thanks
Jools

sweatboard

I don't know who owns it now but you need to go by the farm where they recorded the first three records.  Then you need to buy it from them and invite us all there for a weekend getaway.  It's my dream to stand inside the silo where Jim recorded "I Will Be There When You Die" 

Also, find out the best hole in the wall barbecue spot each place you go.  It's a must on any trip to the south. 

Enjoy, you're going to love the area!!!
There's Still Time.........

jOOlZ

Oh yes, I would LOVE to go there! Know what it's called? And is that where they made the artwork fro It Still Moves, I remember seeing a video about it with Jim decorating the bear like a Christmas tree

Guess it may be a bit of a way outta town though?  :(

Hole in the wall BBQ sounds good too!
Thanks man  :)

Rufus T. Firefly

It's not band related, but Ramses cafe is a great place to eat in Lville, and I would try and catch the races at Keenland in Lex if they are running...and wear a jacket (blazer)

jOOlZ

Thanks Rufus, yes will be going to the Rolex Derby as part of the trip.

Ramses noted too, cheers.

Rufus T. Firefly

while at keenland try the burgoo, it's a stew

it's good, not all that remarkable other than you get to rhyme burgoo and stew for the rest of your life...seems like a small thing but believe it or not I have gotten  a lot of mileage out of that...and you, as a journalist, fuggedaboudit ;)

Cheery-bye

jOOlZ

Burgoo stew for two, yup the piece is writing itself already! ;-)

I see that the Quaid family farm where the first 3 albums were recorded is in Shelbeyville, TN, bit of a hike from L'ville sadly :(

There's gotta be some lyrcial refs in the songs to places in town though right?

Crispy

Quote from: jOOlZ on Apr 22, 2011, 05:58 AM
Burgoo stew for two, yup the piece is writing itself already! ;-)

I see that the Quaid family farm where the first 3 albums were recorded is in Shelbeyville, TN, bit of a hike from L'ville sadly :(

There's gotta be some lyrcial refs in the songs to places in town though right?

There's St. Xavier High School, which Jim attended, and noted in Sooner: "Take little Jim to Xavier..."
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

rmpotsy

i dont know that there are a whole lot of lyrical references to the ville in their songs.  you can run past the church where they recorded circuital (corner of barret and breckinridge sts), but its not really much to see.  ear x tacy would obviously be a good choice.  since you dont have a car just wandering up and down bardstown rd/baxter ave in the highlands would be a great way to spend an afternoon.  lots of shops, bars, restaurants, all local stuff.

do not get drawn into 4th st live no matter what anyone tells you.
out go the lights it begins

jOOlZ

Thank you, good tips! 

What's wrong with 4th street live, is it a club?

Tracy 2112

Have someone drop you off at north end of Bardstown Rd and walk it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highlands_(Louisville)

Some things on Bardstown:

Ramsis Cafe
http://www.ramsiscafe.com/

Why Louisville
http://www.whylouisville.com/

EarX-tacy
http://www.earx-tacy.com/

It's literally 3 miles of shops and restuarants. Sort of Jim and Patrick's old stomping grounds. And you can simply ask the locals what's cool to do. It's not touristy, that's why it's so cool.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

Quote from: jOOlZ on Apr 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you, good tips! 

JUST DONT GO THERE. PROMISE ME YOU'LL NEVER GO THERE
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

jOOlZ

Right, *gulp*, Ok, wilco!  :o

rmpotsy

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thank you, good tips! 

this man speaks the truth.  its an open air collection of chain bars, restaurants, and bad clubs that in no way reflects the true spirit of the ville.  in idea it is awesome, in execution it is effin horrible.  it is very close to your hotel and people will try to get you to go there.  resist the evil urge.

e_wind

Quote from: rmpotsy on Apr 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Apr 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thank you, good tips! 

this man speaks the truth.  its an open air collection of chain bars, restaurants, and bad clubs that in no way reflects the true spirit of the ville.  in idea it is awesome, in execution it is effin horrible.  it is very close to your hotel and people will try to get you to go there.  resist the evil urge.

no lie. and the people that actually go there on the weekends are terrible. I'm glad it exists because it pulls all these terrible people there that would otherwise be on Bardstown Road.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

kentuckymike

Actually I don't think that the farm is in Tennessee, but rather in Shelbyville KENTUCKY. If you read the liner notes on "It Still  Moves" the band thanks the Gallrein family. Gallrein Farms is located in Shelbyville Kentucky and is just outside of Louisville... a very short ride. Hope that helps. Also the previous post is correct... Avoid 4th Street Live at all costs.

jOOlZ

Ah right, with you, we have a few streets like that here too popular with the stag and hen party crowd and the local guys n gals who dress like it's the height of summer no matter what the weather.

Thanks, I will be highly suspicious of any such invitations!

jOOlZ

Thank you Mike, very useful, will check out Gallrein Farms. :)

rmpotsy

Quote from: jOOlZ on Apr 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you Mike, very useful, will check out Gallrein Farms. :)

you do relaize that it is someone's farm, aka someone's home.  i do not know that it would be worth it to drive out there just to see someones driveway and farm house.  you might be able to see the silo, but its not like they are offering tours as far as i know.

now having said that, KY people are very friendly, so if you knocked on the door and explained your situation, they just might give you the run of the place.  btw, shelbyville is about 35-40 mins from downtown.

jOOlZ

Thanks, no I wouldn't arrive unannounced! :) I'm there as a guest of the tourist board anyway so I may ask them to get in touch and see what, if anything, can be arranged at short notice.  I'd guess I'd need a ride out there anyway.