Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

I love Pallbearer. They are definitely not screamo, gutteral orotherwise. in fact their singer is most definitely subdued compared to most metal singers. They are certainly epic doom. Their last album is an instant classic imho
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

LeanneP

Hellbent for Cooking has 8 vegetarian and vegan mains recipes. It's pretty cool; the recipes are from actual musicians. I don't see any goat recipes but there are a number of lamb recipes  :happy:

Bazillion Points is a good publisher, too.

Our awesome writer Ola Mazzuca, who started writing for us in highschool, did a series of metal food reviews in her Blasphemous Meals series. Please check 'em out!

Fully, I LOVE that you are considering checking out some aggressive music. I don't necessarily call myself a metal fan, but I definitely appreciate it.  I tend to love doom and sludge and stoner metal, myself.  There are definitely lots of awesome metal out there that has nothing to do with screechy guitar and effed up vocals.  If I hear of anything good hitting the Nashville area, I'll give you a heads up.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Tired Eyes

MrWhippy - I would definitely be a customer for your company.

Fully - I recommend going to see Pallbearer.  They are a very good doom band from Little Rock, AR.

I wore my Eyehategod tshirt to the Jim James show last night.  I figured it was a good choice considering Jim's love of NOLA (Eyehategod's hometown).

manonthemoon

Like MrWhippy mentioned to me today, Black Tusk is playing at Rock and Roll Hotel in DC on 3/9, but since I am going to be out of town then, I am going to see them play in Fredrick (WTF) MD on 3/4.  I am assuming this will be a very intimate show (ie small), but they are at least headlining this one.

Plus I am actually checking out Pallbearer again this Saturday as their playing a headlining gig at Strange Matters in Richmond VA.  I guess that means that will be almost their entire cataloge since they just have an EP and LP to work off of other than new unreleased songs.  Fuck the Facts is also playing, haven't heard too much about them, but a good band name.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 PM

Plus I am actually checking out Pallbearer again this Saturday as their playing a headlining gig at Strange Matters in Richmond VA.   

I may end up joining you for this show.  I'll be in touch about it.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 21, 2013, 07:53 AM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 PM

Plus I am actually checking out Pallbearer again this Saturday as their playing a headlining gig at Strange Matters in Richmond VA.   

I may end up joining you for this show.  I'll be in touch about it.

Nice, just let me know if you decide to or not as I actually have an extra ticket so that would work out.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

This is my favorite metal release of 2013 thus far.  Just crushing.  Mr. Tired Eyes, I think this would be right up your alley.

Portal - Vexovoid (full album)

alienlanes

Oh, the Portal album is excellent. It reminds me a lot of early Incantation, especially the Onward to Golgatha album. Just awesome, choking death metal.

On a completely different side of the metal spectrum now, I'd like to suggest people check out this new band, Anciients. I must admit that this is self-promo, as I work with this band professionally, but I would not if I didn't think they were good. I guess this means Pitchfork does too: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14968-various-artists-falling-in-line/

MrWhippy

Thanks alienlanes, I'll definitely check out Anciients.  I think they are playing in DC in the next month or two, as well.

Any chance you are heading back to Union Transfer in Philly for the Decibel 2013 tour in early June?  I'm strongly considering making the trek to Philly for that.  Napalm Death is on fire right now, I'd love to see them again.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 03, 2013, 11:08 AM
Napalm Death is on fire right now, I'd love to see them again.

I bet they are. :grin:

MrWhippy

OK, now this is my favorite metal release of 2013 thus far - Sky Burial by Inter Arma. 

It is really musically varied and psychedelic for a black metal album.  Highly recommended for fans of Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc.

manonthemoon

Really trying to decide if I want to do the Rockstar Mayhem fest, its been too long since I've seen mastodon, but other than Zombie I don't really care for the lineup overall and the pit tix are like 84 so not really sure that is worth it.  Anyone else having the same problem?
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Mar 26, 2013, 09:29 PM
Really trying to decide if I want to do the Rockstar Mayhem fest, its been too long since I've seen mastodon, but other than Zombie I don't really care for the lineup overall and the pit tix are like 84 so not really sure that is worth it.  Anyone else having the same problem?

I'd love to see Mastodon again and see Amon Amarth, but I don't really care about anything else on that lineup much, and those two would not be enough to get me there.

manonthemoon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 27, 2013, 12:19 AM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Mar 26, 2013, 09:29 PM

I'd love to see Mastodon again and see Amon Amarth, but I don't really care about anything else on that lineup much, and those two would not be enough to get me there.

That's kind of how I feel, as I don't like large venues like this usually for shows and then having to be there all day just for the couple of bands I want to see.
Alive or Just Breathing

Jeff Murray

Baroness just announced a tour... playing Union Transfer in Philly 5/24 and Ram's Head in Bmore on 5/25... I'm probably going to the Philly show as I have a buddy down that way that wants to go.

May 24 | Philadelphia, PA | Union Transfer | Get Tickets %
May 25 | Baltimore, MD | Ram's Head Live | Get Tickets ^
May 26 | Virginia Beach, VA | Jewish Mother | Get Tickets ^
May 28 | Charleston, SC | The Music Farm | Get Tickets #
May 29 | Atlanta, GA | Center Stage | Get Tickets #
May 31 | Dallas, TX | Trees | Get Tickets #
June 4 | Lawrence, KS | Granada | Get Tickets *
June 5 | St. Louis, MO | Firebird | Get Tickets *
June 8 | Grand Rapids, MI | The Pyramid Scheme | Get Tickets *
June 9 | Madison, WI | The Majestic Theatre | Get Tickets *
June 11 | Indianapolis, IN | Deluxe @ Old National Centre | Get Tickets *
June 12 | Cincinnati, OH | Taft Theatre | Get Tickets *
June 14 | Pittsburgh, PA | Mr. Smalls | Get Tickets *
June 15 | Huntington, WV | V Club | Get Tickets *

% Support: Tombs and Pallbearer
^ Support: Inter Arma
# Support: True Widow
* Support: Coliseum
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

manonthemoon

Yeah, just saw they posted the dates that of course are on MD Deathfest dates, horrible scheduling there on Baroness's part as I really wanted to check them out this go around to see how they are after the accident.

Also just saw that Kvelertak is comming to the R&R Hotel with Black Tusk and Cancer Bats in May and I saw that Dillinger Escape plan is headling the Summer Slaughter tour with Animals as Leaders but the dates and stops haven't been announced yet.

Sounds like it could be a decent summer of shows afterall.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Yeah, I was bummed about seeing the DC Baroness date happening during MD Deathfest as well.  Oh well, I'm sure there will be other chances to see them.  That triple bill in Philly of Baroness, Tombs, and Pallbearer is awesome.

MOTM, I'm definitely going the that Kvelertak/Black Tusk show at R&R Hotel if you want to come.  Maybe we could even talk Ruckus into it.   

Also, the band I gushed about a few posts above, Inter Arma, is currently on tour and playing very small places.  MOTM, Inter Arma is playing at a venue I've never heard of in Alexandria (The Lab) on April 23.  I'm definitely going to that as well if you want to come. 

Other good metal news is that Kylesa is putting out an new album and touring in May/June, along with White Hills, who are a great psych-rock band, and a couple other bands I don't know. 

manonthemoon

Whippy, I had just sent you something about Inter Arma 'cause I knew you were into them, but hadn't ever heard of that venue so wasn't sure if you had seen it as well, too funny. 

I am definately interested in the BT show, would be awesome to see Ruckus if he makes it down, and might tag along for Inter Arma if my schedule works out. 

I'm hoping Baroness makes an actual DC or Richmond stop later this summer or fall as I think one of the e-mails I saw was this was the first leg of a tour so hopefully they'll fit one of those two in on the second part sometime this year.
Alive or Just Breathing

alienlanes

So wait, will some of you guys be going to MDF this year? This will be my fifth year in a row going to it, but my second year in a row working at it. I do some merch table time for Handshake Inc, the company that makes the MDF dvds.

Also, is there anyone from the Memphis area that is planning on going to the Scion Rock Fest on June 1st in Memphis? My band ANCIIENTS are playing there and I may just fly down with them to the show from Ottawa ON (it happens in the middle of a cross-Canada tour they are doing with another band, Skeletonwitch). It's a great show and it's free too

Info on the Scion Rock Fest show can be found here - http://scionav.com/event/566/Scion-Rock-Fest-2013

MrWhippy

Alienlanes, I will be at Maryland Deathfest all four days with a buddy of mine (not from this forum).  Manonthemoon will be there a couple days I think, and hopefully Ruckus will be there some as well.  Not sure if any other forum peeps are attending.

I'd be interested to know who you are really excited to see at MDF?  There are many names I don't know, but I haven't really started doing my research yet.  One of the things I'm particularly psyched about, though, is Bolt Thrower.  I can't believe I have a chance to see them.  Also you could put Sleep in that category as well.