Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 08:23 PM
This was posted in late December over at my metal webzine, www.hellbound.ca, but I thought I'd reprint it here. This is my top 10 metal albums of 2013:

1. PENTAGRAM CHILE – The Malefice (Cyclone Empire/Metal Blade)
2. GORGUTS – Colored Sands (Season Of Mist)
3. SATAN – Life Sentence (Listenable)
4. VOIVOD – Target Earth (Century Media)
5. MOTORHEAD – Aftershock (UDR)
6. CLUTCH – Earth Rocker (Weathermaker Music)
7. VHOL – Vhol (Profound Lore)
8. FATES WARNING – Darkness In A Different Light (Inside Out)
9. EXHUMED – Necrocracy (Relapse)
10. BLACK SABBATH – 13 (Vertigo/Universal)

Cool, thanks for the reminder, I hadn't see your best of 2013 list.  I thought your 2012 one was seriously spot on.

I've been meaning to check out Vhol and the new Exhumed album for a while now.  Also interested in Pentagram (the Chile one) after hearing you talk about it in Mexico. Glad to see Motorhead put out a quality release.

Ruckus, it's not the first time I've said this to you, but you need to check out the Gorguts album.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

MrWhippy

Amazing triple-bill tour announced today with Mastodon supported by Gojira (from France) and Kvelertak (from Norway).  Seriously, all of these three bands are insane live.  Incredibly pumped for this one.

Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak

04/29 Portland, OR Roseland Theater
05/01 Oakland, CA Fox Theater
05/02 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater
05/03 Las Vegas, NV House of Blues
05/07 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
05/08 Chicago, IL The Riviera Theater
05/09 Pittsburgh, PA Stage AE
05/12 Buffalo, NY The Town Ballroom
05/13 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
05/15 New York, NY Terminal 5
05/16 Boston, MA The Palladium
05/17 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory
05/18 Columbus, OH Rock On The Range

getinthevan

Curiously, the Mastodon/Gojira tour announcement said that it kicked off it Seattle but didn't have a date listed.  I'm holding out hope that that means they'll come through Denver since Gojira hasn't managed to make it here in the past 4+ years...
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

MrWhippy

Quote from: getinthevan on Feb 06, 2014, 03:51 AM
Curiously, the Mastodon/Gojira tour announcement said that it kicked off it Seattle but didn't have a date listed.  I'm holding out hope that that means they'll come through Denver since Gojira hasn't managed to make it here in the past 4+ years...

More dates just added to the tour, including 5/5 in Denver, so hopefully you are in luck, getinthevan.  Really hope you get to see the tour and particularly Gojira.  They are incredible live.

MrWhippy

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 01, 2014, 08:23 PM
This was posted in late December over at my metal webzine, www.hellbound.ca, but I thought I'd reprint it here. This is my top 10 metal albums of 2013:

1. PENTAGRAM CHILE – The Malefice (Cyclone Empire/Metal Blade)
2. GORGUTS – Colored Sands (Season Of Mist)
3. SATAN – Life Sentence (Listenable)
4. VOIVOD – Target Earth (Century Media)
5. MOTORHEAD – Aftershock (UDR)
6. CLUTCH – Earth Rocker (Weathermaker Music)
7. VHOL – Vhol (Profound Lore)
8. FATES WARNING – Darkness In A Different Light (Inside Out)
9. EXHUMED – Necrocracy (Relapse)
10. BLACK SABBATH – 13 (Vertigo/Universal)

Thanks so much Sean for posting your top 10.  So far I've checked out the Voivod and Exhumed records based on your recommendation and really loved both of them. 

I don't know how I've missed Voivod all these years.  I had heard their name for a long time but never really checked them out, the new record is fantastic.

I had never been that impressed with Exhumed before, but the new record is great.  They make such good use of having two vocalists with pretty different vocal styles. 

I'll definitely be checking out the remaining couple records on your list that I haven't heard yet.

MrWhippy

MrWhippy

Agalloch was recently added to Friday night of Maryland Deathfest!

Anyone else besides me and Alienlanes going this year any nights? 

MrWhippy

OK, so I guess the metal thread is down to just me, but hey, that's alright.   :evil:

This is great news for those of us lucky enough to be near one of Meshuggah's upcoming tour stops.  These guys put on absolutely mindblowing shows.

Fully

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Apr 01, 2014, 02:38 PM

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 16, 2014, 10:18 AM
Amazing news.  New Electric Wizard album coming out in May!!!

http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/2014/02/electric-wizard-announces-new-album.html

I'm looking forward to this, Whippy.

Cool, guess that means you dug my recommendation of their Dopethrone album. 

I really hope they play in the US again after this record comes out.  Their set at MDF in 2012 was one insanely heavy and awesome things I've ever seen.

manonthemoon

Another couple of tours heading our way to DC:

Pallbearer and Deafheaven   R&R Hotel  6/10
Red Fang and Big Buisness   R&R Hotel 5/31

Hopefully I'll be making it to Kadavar too as long as work stays regular.
Alive or Just Breathing

wolof7

Has anyone listened to Pilgrim? They are a Rhode Island doom trio with 
sllllllllllllooooooooooowww monolithic riffage and stoner-fantasy lyrics. They released their 2nd album Void Worship today and its pretty solid listen. Definitely a step above their 1st Misery Wizard.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Fully

Wolof you just said the magic words. I'm going to listen now! Also, MOTM, you better come to Kadavar! Whippy is going to get us matching tshirts! He doesn't know it yet, but he is!

Fully

Apparently Pilgrim is not on Spotify-sad. The band named Pilgrim that is on Spotify is not nearly the same band you described, Wolof.

wolof7

Quote from: Fully on Apr 02, 2014, 07:14 AM
Apparently Pilgrim is not on Spotify-sad. The band named Pilgrim that is on Spotify is not nearly the same band you described, Wolof.

Fully I brought them up on Spotify. Id search with the Album title, Void Worship.  :thumbsup:

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Apr 01, 2014, 09:38 PM
Wolof you just said the magic words. I'm going to listen now! Also, MOTM, you better come to Kadavar! Whippy is going to get us matching tshirts! He doesn't know it yet, but he is!

I found these for us, Fully, what do you think?

If you like them, then I guess that give me two weeks from today to change my evil ways.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 02, 2014, 05:49 PM
Quote from: Fully on Apr 01, 2014, 09:38 PM

I found these for us, Fully, what do you think?

If you like them, then I guess that give me two weeks from today to change my evil ways.

They are lovely!

Fully

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 02, 2014, 05:46 PM

Fully I brought them up on Spotify. Id search with the Album title, Void Worship.  :thumbsup:

That totally worked. I always forget to do that. Pitchfork loved it and metalsucks hated it. I'm  really enjoying what I' listening to. It reminds me of standing on the moving sidewalk at the airport -just standing. Not moving except for the belt's movement.

MrWhippy

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 01, 2014, 07:42 PM
Has anyone listened to Pilgrim? They are a Rhode Island doom trio with 
sllllllllllllooooooooooowww monolithic riffage and stoner-fantasy lyrics. They released their 2nd album Void Worship today and its pretty solid listen. Definitely a step above their 1st Misery Wizard.

I'll definitely check out Pilgrim, thanks for the tip.

Also on the heavy doom front, the new album by Thou, "Heathen," is amazing.  Definitely more psychedelic than their earlier stuff. 

wolof7

Quote from: Fully on Apr 03, 2014, 01:07 AM
Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 02, 2014, 05:46 PM

That totally worked. I always forget to do that. Pitchfork loved it and metalsucks hated it. I'm  really enjoying what I' listening to. It reminds me of standing on the moving sidewalk at the airport -just standing. Not moving except for the belt's movement.

Yea it's been getting pretty decent reviews. I think i read the metalsucks review, sounds like that guy doesn't like doom to begin with. BTW if you look up the band, they probably look exactly how you'd expect they'd look.