Why I Love Jim James's Songwriting

Started by The DARK, Apr 27, 2011, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

My feel-good post of the day: all the reasons off the top of my head why I love Yim Yames's songwriting.

-He just comes off as a purely nice guy. He doesn't need to be angry at something to get his point across... I can't think of a truly angry lyric he's ever written. Even in Two Halves, he seems to pity the subject of the song more than

-He has pure natural vocal talent. One moment, he's howling to the sky, then he's crooning with the best of them, then he's pulling off some truly technical vocal flips and cartwheels.

-He's not afraid to play it straight. While he can be truly poetic if he wants (Golden, One In The Same), he can write an honest, no frills song without embarrassment. Wonderful is this type of song. How many songwriters today sound totally comfortable in their own shoes like that?

-When he's goofing off, it's never an in-joke. Holdin on to Black Metal may not be a totally serious piece of songwriting, but it's not weird for the sake of being weird... he wants us to sing along and share in his giddy fun. Same deal with Highly Suspicious.

-He loves music, pure and simple. You'll never come across a genre he can't like and draw from; black metal, pure pop, reggae, folk, funk, soul, country, disco, classic rock, psychedelia, Thai pop, he loves it all. If he found out during the next album sessions that Bo could rap, there's no way it wouldn't be front and center on the record.

-He loves what he does. There's no drudgery for him in making a record, or obsessive editing, or touring... he just looks like he's having the time of his life whenever he's up on stage.

:beer: Bring on Circuital.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ghosts_on_TV

You said, Evan , is coming over....again. I said, if he does, i'll kick, i'll kick his head in.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

I've been there before. I was pretty fucking angry.  >:(  ;)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

I really appreciate the way he can paint a picture with his lyrics.  I remember David Berman criticizing Jim for writing stuff that was just fluffy nonsense but a song like Steam Engine reaches emotional heights and paints a picture unlike anything Berman could manage.  To me lyrics to SONGS become poetry once they mesh with the music; I think Jim has the gift of fitting lyrics and music together.  Berman can write poetry, but he can't do this..... 

Jim James - Steam Engine

to anyone who wondered
what old jebus meant to me
take him out to go diving
in red patoka sea
the brain melts in the twilight
with the boar and moving trees
your skin looks good in moonlight
and god damn those shaky knees
the fact that my heart's beating
is all the proof you need
There's Still Time.........

SaraBananaBear

Lovely post! I definitely feel good after reading it!  :thumbsup: I couldn't agree more, thanks for sharing :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

The DARK

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 27, 2011, 03:14 AM
You said, Evan , is coming over....again. I said, if he does, i'll kick, i'll kick his head in.

Haha, forgot about that one.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

Thanks Dark!   Love it!   

I would just like to add that I believe there is NOBODY out there, that knows how to be quiet (soft) and how to be loud (hard) in just the right moments, like Jim Mother Fuckin' James.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Apr 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks Dark!   Love it!   

I would just like to add that I believe there is NOBODY out there, that knows how to be quiet (soft) and how to be loud (hard) in just the right moments, like Jim Mother Fuckin' James.
Not what your wife said.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rimshot please

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: BH on Apr 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks Dark!   Love it!   

Too true, I agree again!  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket