Mexico Advice?

Started by walterfredo, Mar 20, 2012, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

We'll be in the Yucatan for 10 days in May, staying primarily near the town of Tulum.  Our plan was to rent a car, which we still probably will...but I've been reading some rental car horror stories online that have me a bit weary.  Anyone have an experience renting a car down there?

bowl of soup

No need to rent; these guys will just give you a car.

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

el_chode

This is shaky information, but I'd say avoid the drugs and earthquakes
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Over the past several years, Canadian tourists have been getting picked off like Walking Dead zombies. Use at your own risk.

e_wind

My advice would be to go to panama city (panama) because it's way more awesome, the safest Hispanic country for whiteys, and I'll be there in may.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 21, 2012, 11:08 PM
My advice would be to go to panama city (panama) because it's way more awesome, the safest Hispanic country for whiteys, and I'll be there in may.

Although not Hispanic, Cuba is by far the safest country for tourists. If you are allowed to go, make sure to stay in downtown Havana.

johnnYYac

Doesn't look like you're gettin' much help with the original question.  Maybe PM foomex?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jaye

I looooove the Yucatan - had several good vacations there, although it's changed a lot since I've been.  I think I rented a VW Bug for a day and went to Puerto Morelos which was still quiet....and swimming in some cenotes somewhere.   I'm no help - except to say that it's wonderful and stay out of Cancun.   :) 

e_wind

Go to as many SeƱor Frogs as you can.

I kid.

e_wind

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 21, 2012, 11:37 PM

Although not Hispanic, Cuba is by far the safest country for tourists. If you are allowed to go, make sure to stay in downtown Havana.

I've always wanted to go to Havana. In May I'm going to Panama and Peru. I hope to also make it Argentina and Chile at some point, but I hear Mid-southern south America is really dangerous at the moment.
I'm going to grad school for language, and hope to explore as much of the Hispanic world as I can

Back to mexico....

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 22, 2012, 09:52 AM

I've always wanted to go to Havana. In May I'm going to Panama and Peru. I hope to also make it Argentina and Chile at some point, but I hear Mid-southern south America is really dangerous at the moment.
I'm going to grad school for language, and hope to explore as much of the Hispanic world as I can

Back to mexico....

Eric, what are you planning on doing with your degree? I ask because my husband is an English Language Learner teacher.  We spend many evenings discussing his students, how they learn, what they have difficulty with, etc. Also, it sounds like you are going to have a great trip yourself. It sounds like something my husband would love to do; except with three kids, it just isn't as feasible.

walterfredo

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
This is shaky information, but I'd say avoid the drugs and earthquakes

I live in California, so I'm ok with both.

e_wind

Quote from: Fully on Mar 22, 2012, 10:09 AM

Back to mexico....

Eric, what are you planning on doing with your degree? I ask because my husband is an English Language Learner teacher.  We spend many evenings discussing his students, how they learn, what they have difficulty with, etc. Also, it sounds like you are going to have a great trip yourself. It sounds like something my husband would love to do; except with three kids, it just isn't as feasible.

Well I'm almost done with undergrad. I'm double majoring in Spanish and Liberal Studies w/ concentrations in philosophy and anthropology and a humanities minor. Im also taking Italian intros. I'm about to start applying grad school, going for Spanish. I don't want to be a teacher, but i have NO idea what im gonna do. Ive been meeting with law school advisors, but i cant decide if thats what i want to do. However cliche it sounds, I want my job to involve traveling abroad, wether that be on trips or permanently. That's why everything I'm learning about is basically foreign language or foreign culture. I'll be living in Barcelona my last semester, in the fall. As far as learning new language, it's impossibly hard to explain a "best" way to do it, IMO, which I'm sure any language teacher would agree with. Everyone seems to learn differently and at a different pace, which I know because there are so many times when I feel like I'm the only one whos lost in classes.

I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but I don't think I really have one. I'm super excited about my trip. I'm leaving from NOLA after the jazz Fest. I've never been south of Mexico.

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Quote from: Fully on Mar 22, 2012, 10:09 AM

Back to mexico....

Well I'm almost done with undergrad. I'm double majoring in Spanish and Liberal Studies w/ concentrations in philosophy and anthropology and a humanities minor. Im also taking Italian intros. I'm about to start applying grad school, going for Spanish. I don't want to be a teacher, but i have NO idea what im gonna do. Ive been meeting with law school advisors, but i cant decide if thats what i want to do. However cliche it sounds, I want my job to involve traveling abroad, wether that be on trips or permanently. That's why everything I'm learning about is basically foreign language or foreign culture. I'll be living in Barcelona my last semester, in the fall. As far as learning new language, it's impossibly hard to explain a "best" way to do it, IMO, which I'm sure any language teacher would agree with. Everyone seems to learn differently and at a different pace, which I know because there are so many times when I feel like I'm the only one whos lost in classes.

I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but I don't think I really have one. I'm super excited about my trip. I'm leaving from NOLA after the jazz Fest. I've never been south of Mexico.

It's a perfect answer. It sounds like you are making yourself very marketable. It has been interesting seeing all of the doors that have opened for my husband because he is bilingual. I think you'll have a great time in Central America this spring as well as in Barcelona later. It sounds like a great adventure.

Oh, and Walterfredo, sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you have a great trip too!

walterfredo

no worries, hijack away! 

Shug

Walter,

A few years ago, we rented a car in Cabo San Lucas.  It was a total piece of shit and we had to exchange it for just a slightly better piece of shit.  And it was expensive, like more than you'd pay in the States.  ( we rented once we were down there, not before we left, that might've made a difference)  And we got ripped off at the gas station and it was a hassle getting our money back. Driving on a two lane highway for several hours to get to a beach on the Pacific side was a nerve-wracking, white knuckle experience due to the crazy way the trucks drive and pass down there that I'd not do again.  I don't really live my life afraid of bad stuff happening, but I currently have no interest in going to Mexico at all, its just not fun or relaxing to me with all the shit you have to be careful about.

Just my take.  I've never been to the Yucatan or the Gulf of Mexico side, so it could be totally different over there, I've really no idea.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"