The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Quote from: ericm on Oct 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 31, 2011, 05:05 PM
C'mon Eric.  I don't think he was mocking his religious beliefs but merely his "celebration." Shoot, I know I Tebowed a bunch of times last night with friends.  If you have a go to pose on the field, you're free game.  I kinda think that copying another person's move as shit talk is a little played out though I am guilty of it in front of the TV all the time.  I think I Tebowed last night after telling a bad joke, we took to one knee before shots... ::)  I was trying to figure out how hard work and 'heart' could create a 42pt TD

I've wanted to like Suh because he is so incredible but I find his dirtiness to be too offputting

Maybe so Rob, but it just came off like a mocking to me. Since this is Tebow's way of giving thanks to his God, it struck me as mocking his beliefs, and not mocking the act of "Tebowing" itself.

So when a player does it its mocking his beliefs but when an average joe does it, its not? I dont see your point. I think Tulloch was simply mocking the pose, as well as mocking the Tebow because of how much publicity he gets when he really has proved nothing in the NFL.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

C'mon Eric.  I don't think he was mocking his religious beliefs but merely his "celebration." Shoot, I know I Tebowed a bunch of times last night with friends.  If you have a go to pose on the field, you're free game.  I kinda think that copying another person's move as shit talk is a little played out though I am guilty of it in front of the TV all the time.  I think I Tebowed last night after telling a bad joke, we took to one knee before shots... ::)  I was trying to figure out how hard work and 'heart' could create a 42pt TD

I've wanted to like Suh because he is so incredible but I find his dirtiness to be too offputting

Maybe so Rob, but it just came off like a mocking to me. Since this is Tebow's way of giving thanks to his God, it struck me as mocking his beliefs, and not mocking the act of "Tebowing" itself.

I'm probably reading too much into it, as it is hard to believe one player would mock another's beliefs, but nothing really surprises me these days.
I gotcha.  I've always found it remarkable how much religious expression is tolerated in the sports world when it really isn't in any other workplace.  I find it just as selfish an act by not immediately celebrating with your teammates as any other diva receiver that has to do a personal celebration before accepting congratulations from your teammates that helped you score.  I wonder if he'd do that after handing in a term paper, TPS report, or maybe serving entrees at a restaurant. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ericm

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 05:27 PM

So when a player does it its mocking his beliefs but when an average joe does it, its not? I dont see your point. I think Tulloch was simply mocking the pose, as well as mocking the Tebow because of how much publicity he gets when he really has proved nothing in the NFL.

Not sure I could explain my point any clearer.

I was commenting on this player mocking Tebow, not the average Joe doing the "Tebow". The average Joe doing it, to me is more of a copycat type thing than a mocking. This guy did it on the field...a big difference,imo.

Like I said, in this instance it came off TO ME as mocking his beliefs, and not mocking the act of "Tebowing".

Tebow does this as a way of giving thanks. He's not doing some celebration dance, or championship belt thing. So to me by mocking it on the field like that, is by extension mocking his religious beliefs. I'm not trying to sound all "holier than thou" but I thought it was a pretty low thing to do.

btw, I'm not a Tebow fan, and agree he gets a lot of pub for not doing much, and I don't think he's an NFL caliber QB.
"Where's Jim going?"

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 05:18 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 02:07 PM
Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty right now.  :bath:

Glad the Saints lost?  ;D

I guess we have arrived if Steelers fans are rooting against us, although all the Steelers fans I know like the Saints.

awesome, that sort of makes my day  :)

Where did I say Im glad they lost? I dont think I brought it up when they lost to GB, because well, GB is actually good. I think its funny youre so full of yourself that anytime I mention the Saints you take it as insult or that Im trying to dog the Saints. I brought up 5 teams that are supposed to make the playoffs in that same sentence, not just your team. So I guess youre fine with gettiing blownout by arguably the worst team in the NFL?

keep it coming!  ;D

also:     Rams > Colts
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ericm on Oct 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
Quote from: Taterbug on Oct 31, 2011, 02:42 PM

The Tebow experiment in Denver is OVER ,  I think  ;)

Maybe so, but to mock his religious beliefs like this is pretty low, and wrong,imo.

In a sport where the object is to inflict pain and someone may call you a mother fucker (not a real nice thing to say to someone) I think the celebration mocking Tebow is tame and very funny. Plus, separation of Church and State of Broncos football...

peafunk31

Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eagles. Granted it's been 2 weeks of well played ball in the NFC East (which is kinda bad to be honest), but damn have they looked good as of late. This is the team I thought would show up on Sundays. Maybe they took a bit of time to gel, maybe its false hope. We'll find out soon enough.
Homer no function beer well without.

capt. scotty

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eagles. Granted it's been 2 weeks of well played ball in the NFC East (which is kinda bad to be honest), but damn have they looked good as of late. This is the team I thought would show up on Sundays. Maybe they took a bit of time to gel, maybe its false hope. We'll find out soon enough.

They looked damn good last night. McCoy is obviously a probowl caliber RB, but they couldve brought Ricky Watters back last night and he wouldve gone for 150. I cant believe the holes McCoy was getting vs the #1 rush D, especially in the 1st quarter. The most rushing yds by a RB vs DAL this year was SJax's 70 last week, and that was including a 40yd run. Unreal blocking, pass blocking as well, by the Philly OL.

I think either DET because of their DL or Philly because of their CBs (although they have a very good pass rushing DL as well with Cole, Babin, and Jenkins) are the 2 teams with the best chance to beat the Packers in the NFC this year.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 05:18 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 02:07 PM
Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty right now.  :bath:

Glad the Saints lost?  ;D

I guess we have arrived if Steelers fans are rooting against us, although all the Steelers fans I know like the Saints.

awesome, that sort of makes my day  :)

Where did I say Im glad they lost? I dont think I brought it up when they lost to GB, because well, GB is actually good. I think its funny youre so full of yourself that anytime I mention the Saints you take it as insult or that Im trying to dog the Saints. I brought up 5 teams that are supposed to make the playoffs in that same sentence, not just your team. So I guess youre fine with gettiing blownout by arguably the worst team in the NFL?

keep it coming!  ;D

also:     Rams > Colts

Not so sure about that. Both are bad, and the Colts will probably win at least a game as well. Then again, the Saints did just lose to the AJ Feeley lead Rams. Thats worse than losing to the TeBroncos in all liklihood.

Jon T.

Quote from: ericm on Oct 31, 2011, 05:46 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 05:27 PM

Not sure I could explain my point any clearer.

I was commenting on this player mocking Tebow, not the average Joe doing the "Tebow". The average Joe doing it, to me is more of a copycat type thing than a mocking. This guy did it on the field...a big difference,imo.

Like I said, in this instance it came off TO ME as mocking his beliefs, and not mocking the act of "Tebowing".

Tebow does this as a way of giving thanks. He's not doing some celebration dance, or championship belt thing. So to me by mocking it on the field like that, is by extension mocking his religious beliefs. I'm not trying to sound all "holier than thou" but I thought it was a pretty low thing to do.

btw, I'm not a Tebow fan, and agree he gets a lot of pub for not doing much, and I don't think he's an NFL caliber QB.

I read an article earlier today (can't remember where) that said Tulloch approached Tebow and told him it was meant in fun and not a mockery; and Tebow apparently told him "it was fine".  The article was talking about how basically no one else would mention the exchange between the two and would only try and create a good guy, bad guy situation out of it.  Looks like he was on to something.

Ruckus

Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eag Maybe they took a bit of time to gel, maybe its false hope.

WRONG!  Tebow will always be the main attraction.  When he's doing suicides up and down church pews after being cut by the Broncos, nobody'll care about Andy Reid and his Awake Apnea

peafunk31

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 01, 2011, 02:16 PM
Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eag Maybe they took a bit of time to gel, maybe its false hope.

WRONG!  Tebow will always be the main attraction.  When he's doing suicides up and down church pews after being cut by the Broncos, nobody'll care about Andy Reid and his Awake Apnea

;D ;D ;D ;D Awake Apnea! You're lucky you don't have to hear his weekly press conferences. Between Andy's throat clearing & constant chortling, I find myself wanting to drive nails into my ear canals.

Tebow church pew suicides sound strangely entertaining. Perhaps a second career after he gets booted from the NFL?

Tracy 2112

I am really enjoying watching all the naysayers (and there is a ton of Tebow hate from the "professionals" on TV and radio) eat crow. Sort of nice when those in the know don't know. 4-1 by the "worst starting QB in the NFL"? Not bad   :)

Tim Tebow Game Winning Touchdown vs. Jets

Tracy 2112

Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eagles.

peafunk31

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
Not getting into the Tebow discussion, he'll be old news in the next few weeks. I'm more interested in the resurgeance of the Eagles.

Yup. Wrong on all accounts. The Eagles stink & Tebow is 4-1. What the F is going on?!?!

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
I am really enjoying watching all the naysayers (and there is a ton of Tebow hate from the "professionals" on TV and radio) eat crow. Sort of nice when those in the know don't know. 4-1 by the "worst starting QB in the NFL"? Not bad   :)

Tim Tebow Game Winning Touchdown vs. Jets

Ya know, I'm happy for him, too.  I'm not sure how long he can keep it up, but I'm glad he is doing well.  I used to not like him until I realized it wasn't really him I didn't like, it was his fanatical fans.  And believe me, living in FL, they are abundant.  What I think is especially cool is how his team really rallies behind him.  I mean, Denver's defense is stepping it up big time.  It's clearly not just their offense that's winning these games for them. 

Regardless of one's religous views, you can't say he's not a good person.  And it's kind of cool to see someone like that do well given the majority of the players' attitudes in the NFL.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Oct 31, 2011, 03:07 PM
He is terrible. The only thing that keeps him around is that he is a fan favorite. Just goes to show that all the heart and determination can't make him an NFL-level QB.

::)

BH

Quote from: Jon T. on Nov 18, 2011, 09:07 AM

Regardless of one's religous views, you can't say he's not a good person.  And it's kind of cool to see someone like that do well given the majority of the players' attitudes in the NFL.

Well said.  He's building a 3 million dollar hospital in the Phillipines.   I know it's not all his money but I doubt he's making all that much this year.   
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

What a crushing loss for us last night.  We still have a favorable schedule and 10-6 likely would get the Jetsies in.  Do or die starts next week against the Bills.  Our offense is a travesty with Sanchez and Schottenheimer (will be fired at years end) but I think it can turn it around.  Our defense, besides David Harris and Darrelle Revis, are a bunch of mediocre players that Ryan has somehow made into a solid unit.  I do believe that sometimes Ryan eschews talent in favor of coachable system players with lesser talent on the defensive side.

As for Tebow, it really is a great story.  My friends and I have had so much fun rooting for him the last 5 weeks except for yesterday.  It is remarkable how much the Denver D has picked it up recently.  I guess it's just inevitable that if you run the ball over and over again, the defense gets better.  I have no idea why but I guess it has to do with the whole shortening the game, less possessions idea?  Like the talking heads have said, the one thing they have going for them is that no one else runs that offense with the option package.  It's something other teams never have to prepare for except for that one game.  That said, those were some marginal wins in 3 of the last 4.  Jets played like ass and Sanchez throws a pick 6 and we still should have won it if at the beginning of the 95 yard game winning drive, Leonhard makes the tackle on Eddie Royal out in the flat.

I should mention that the replay officials and the announcers for that matter got the Burress catch on the sideline call wrong when they called it complete.  Yes, both feet did touch in bounds while he had control of the ball.  But if you watch it slowly, his left foot touches down, pops up then drags out of bounds a split second before the right foot touches the ground for the 1st time inbounds.  Therefore, he's out of bounds but the announcers never mentioned that and I don't think the upstairs booth ever contemplated that possibility.

ManNamedTruth

Tebow isn't going to consistently win games the way they've been using him.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!