The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

turnovers, turnovers, turnovers... :'(

Graham's TD the last minute or so was amazing, but our D finally started breaking down and couldn't hold.

One thing I don't understand was the no call on the helmet to helmet hit on Pierre Thomas on our 1st drive. Not just the no call, but it was never even mentioned as "possibly" a helmet to helmet and no one ever said why Thomas was out other than being injured. Clearly a helmet to helmet and clearly why he went out of the game (and fumbeled). If that had been James Harrison who hit Thomas he probably would have been arrested. I dunno, the whole thing is a bit weird, especially with all the emphasis that put on that new rule.

Oh well, maybe next year we don't fuck up on the road and we can secure homefield for a bye. Gotta go with the Giants and Broncos (or Ravens).
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

j_rud

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 14, 2012, 09:04 PM

Graham's TD the last minute or so was amazing, but our D finally started breaking down and couldn't hold.

One thing I don't understand was the no call on the helmet to helmet hit on Pierre Thomas on our 1st drive. Not just the no call, but it was never even mentioned as "possibly" a helmet to helmet and no one ever said why Thomas was out other than being injured. Clearly a helmet to helmet and clearly why he went out of the game (and fumbeled). If that had been James Harrison who hit Thomas he probably would have been arrested. I dunno, the whole thing is a bit weird, especially with all the emphasis that put on that new rule.

Oh well, maybe next year we don't fuck up on the road and we can secure homefield for a bye. Gotta go with the Giants and Broncos (or Ravens).

What happened on the play in question? How was Thomas being used.  I ask because it determines whether its a penalty. Helmet to helmet is only called on a QB who has not declared himself a runner or a defenseless receiver who is attempting/in the act of catching the ball. Its not called on RBs or WRs who have completed a catch and are attempting to gain yardage. So if Thomas was being used as a RB and helmet to helmet contact as made during the tackle its a legal play. Its only a penalty if he was making a catch/defenseless and was hit helmet to helmet.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Tracy 2112

Quote from: j_rud on Jan 14, 2012, 09:35 PM

What happened on the play in question? How was Thomas being used.  I ask because it determines whether its a penalty. Helmet to helmet is only called on a QB who has not declared himself a runner or a defenseless receiver who is attempting/in the act of catching the ball. Its not called on RBs or WRs who have completed a catch and are attempting to gain yardage. So if Thomas was being used as a RB and helmet to helmet contact as made during the tackle its a legal play. Its only a penalty if he was making a catch/defenseless and was hit helmet to helmet.

Thomas had caught the ball and turned to run upfield.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (f) of the NFL Official Playing Rules states that it is unnecessary roughness if a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/"hairline" parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

Open to interpretation, I know, but to be totally ignored was strange. I mean, not even discussed at any point when it was obvious Thomas was knocked out by helmet to helmet contact.

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 14, 2012, 09:44 PM

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (f) of the NFL Official Playing Rules states that it is unnecessary roughness if a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/"hairline" parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

Open to interpretation, I know, but to be totally ignored was strange. I mean, not even discussed at any point when it was obvious Thomas was knocked out by helmet to helmet contact.

I thought it was strange that it wasn't really mentioned, too.  That was a scary situation.  Thomas was out cold instantly, then bascially goes head first to the ground, THEN a loose ball pile on top of him for a minute or so.  Imagine coming to and being under a pile like that.  Scary stuff.

johnnYYac

A good day for Pat's fans but the win was damn near embarrassing.  Look forward to seeing who's next.  Tough one for you Saints fans.  An amazing final 4 minutes. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

The pats win was almost too good to celebrate. I'm not on the Tebow wagon so I was happy to see that
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

j_rud

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 14, 2012, 09:44 PM

And thats the absolutely infuriating problem with NFL officiating: its too often open to interpretation or when its not an official acts like it is. Add in the fact that different crews from week to week guarantee inconsistency. I feel like every year officials become a bigger part of the game when it should be the opposite.

Tracy 2112

I dunno, I sort of like rooting for the Texans against the Ravens. But there's no way they go in to Foxboro and win. So, go Ravens! I think... :-\

j_rud

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
I dunno, I sort of like rooting for the Texans against the Ravens. But there's no way they go in to Foxboro and win. So, go Ravens! I think... :-\

Ive always felt like cheering for the Ravens is like cheering for the villain. But that could just be because Ray Lewis and Co. treated the Giants O like an Atlanta night club patron in Super Bowl 35...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: j_rud on Jan 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 15, 2012, 02:32 PM

Ive always felt like cheering for the Ravens is like cheering for the villain. But that could just be because Ray Lewis and Co. treated the Giants O like an Atlanta night club patron in Super Bowl 35...

I'm an NFC guy, so it's hard to have any AFC love (except the Titans), that's why the underdogs are so appealing.

I hope the Ravens torch Brady and the Pats.

Now let's go Giants!

Tracy 2112

Well, the refs TRIED to get the Packers to win....man oh man, did the Saints ever blow an opportunity to host next weekend.

Gotta root for Eli and the Giants.

johnnYYac

I beginning to smell a rematch...

ManNamedTruth

Do I smell a Patriots, Giants Super Bowl rematch? The Ravens are the only team I hate more than the Pats, so I'll be rooting for whoever comes out of the NFC.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 15, 2012, 08:06 PM

just what I was thinking  ;D
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 15, 2012, 08:06 PM

yep, 2001 all over again with the Giants vs Ravens    ;)

joey_rogo

giants fan here.

FUCK YES

also, this weekend was awesome. the 9ers looked great. i look forward to facing them. that was one of the best games ive seen evah. yup, i said EVAH

the ravens looked shitty as all hell against a shitty playoff team today. the pats should rape them next weekend. but we'll see.

looks like the pats have a free ticket to the big game, BUT i feel like either nfc team can beat them.

GO NFC

johnnYYac

zanjam

My team.  Coming to my town.  Most excited I've been ...  since .... say ... MMJ coming to my town!  Booyah!
anything + reverb always = better

zanjam

Quote from: zanjam on Jan 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
My team.  Coming to my town.  Most excited I've been ...  since .... say ... MMJ coming to my town!  Booyah!

That would be the Jints coming to SF
anything + reverb always = better

j_rud

VICTORY FORMATION BABY ;D