At Dawn- 10th Anniversary (released April 5, 2001)

Started by Johnny_Yac, Dec 09, 2010, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGMC421

Quote from: Im The Dude on Feb 05, 2011, 03:14 PM
Quote from: ralph on Feb 03, 2011, 06:28 PM
Listening to At Dawn at work while doing some really boring stuff. It's making everything better!!!  :thumbsup: Such a damn fine record...

I love At Dawn on vinyl....

I'll second that!   :beer:

Old Long Arms

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 09, 2010, 10:59 PM

• Does anyone else think, as I do, that the use of guitar harmonics at the beginning of each verse in Bermuda Highway a poor decision?

I completely agree with you on this, I was listening to it last weekend, and something was kinda irritating me about that song, while at the same time I love hearing it. The guitar harmonics just seem like a slight distraction...
My folky little songs:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/tomcadaret/last-summer"]http://soundcloud.com/tomcadaret/last-summer[/url]

lil sis

I've been listening to AD a lot recently.  Listened to this on the way home from the T5 reunion last night.  Blissful.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

ynwa

the guitar harmonics in BH never bothered me.  actually, i found it to be pretty cool that an "imperfect" cut made it onto the album.  and IISD has always been one of my absolute favorite album tracks.  there's something about the simplicity of the song & how it was recorded - just stripped down like that, i dunno - it always gave me goosebumps.

that was one of the songs i was most looking forward to hearing @ T5.  i have my video of that up on youtube also, which i revisit frequently.  the crowd was remarkably quiet & jim sang/played it so beautifully... sigh.

AD is still my favorite mmj album & i'd be happily surprised if any future albums de-throne it.  maybe it's because it's the album i fell in love to mmj with & therefore will hold that extra-special place in my heart for always.  maybe it's because it's a heavy "jim" album & he's super dreamy.  maybe it's beacuse it captured & preserved those slight imperfections which, to me, makes the album so honest & real.  i suppose it's all of those things & then some others that i can't really put into words.  i love AD, just as it is. 
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

e_wind

It's definitely Jims dreamy-ness.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ralph

Man, I'm reaching for this album a lot lately. Could it start to push ISM for the title of favorite? It's getting close but still has a little bit of work to do. Releasing the T5 show would greatly help it's cause...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ynwa

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
It's definitely Jims dreamy-ness.

totally.  ;D
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

headhunter

putting this record on the TT and hearing the slow steady stream of the drums building up into AD is perfect musical foreplay.  As good an intro and startup as is out there.

The thought of when we saw this live at T5 still brings me goosebumps.....
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

FYI, tomorrow (April 5th) marks the 10th anniversary of the release of At Dawn.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

subinai

timeless album.

TGMC421

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
FYI, tomorrow (April 5th) marks the 10th anniversary of the release of At Dawn.

Holy shit.  Happy early anniversary, At Dawn!  I'll be sure to spin you all day tomorrow.

ralph

It's already the 5th here in the future so I'm already celebrating!

Happy Birthday At Dawn!

I'm very much looking forward to the birth of At Dawn's brother - At Dawn: live from T5. I hope he is already in the womb...

johnnYYac

I love the idea from TGMC421!  Let's be sure to give At Dawn a spin today in honor of 10 years of aural extacy!

:birthdays: :birthdays: :birthdays:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

Quote from: ralph on Apr 05, 2011, 12:39 AM
It's already the 5th here in the future so I'm already celebrating!

Happy Birthday At Dawn!

I'm very much looking forward to the birth of At Dawn's brother - At Dawn: live from T5. I hope he is already in the womb...

At Dawn -- We ride again!

Ralph, I'm pretty sure that little brother is well out of the womb (remember the TWTHS baby picture?), and is now being tended to in the nursery until he's ready for the big wide world.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ralph

Let's hope it's not too long before his parents want to share him with the rest of the world...

Was just about to get off the couch to go to bed and the cd changer just flicked across to At Dawn and now I want to stay up and listen to the whole thing. Damn MMJ and their long records! Jims voice is really striking a chord in my sleepy state... Hopefully this inspires T5 related memory dreams...

EasyRyder

not sure if this has been discussed before, but I was belatedly wondering: are the crickets that you can hear in the sonic backdrop throughout the album for real or just layered over post-recording?

I sure do hope they were chirping for real...

thank jebus chrast for this album, what a lifesaver it can be.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EasyRyder on May 01, 2011, 08:12 PM
not sure if this has been discussed before, but I was belatedly wondering: are the crickets that you can hear in the sonic backdrop throughout the album for real or just layered over post-recording?

they're real (and perhaps even a grasshopper or 2); that's Kentucky in the summer
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

EasyRyder

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 01, 2011, 09:23 PM
Quote from: EasyRyder on May 01, 2011, 08:12 PM

they're real (and perhaps even a grasshopper or 2); that's Kentucky in the summer

I thought I heard a couple grasshoppers...thx for the help, I'll have to check out this place called Kentucky sometime. Their crickets seem louder than mine.

I'm mainly glad the band didn't include any cicada in the recording process. That may have totally cramped the mood.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."