Guided By Voices Fans?

Started by sweatboard, Jul 18, 2011, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I just started getting into them recently and so glad I did.

WHAT DOES THE PHRASE TRACTOR RAPE CHAIN MEAN????

why is it every time i think about you
something that you have said or implied makes
me doubt you
then i look into your cynical eyes and i know it
as if it never meant anything to me

parallel lines on a slow decline - tractor rape chain
better yet, let's all get wet on the tractor rape chain
speed up, slow down, go all around in the end

in the first place it's probably just paranoia
but there's a ghost in my room
and he says i better run
it's a thing i know - it's a thing i believe in
won't you tell it to go away?

parallel lines on a slow decline - tractor rape chain
better yet, let's all get wet on the tractor rape chain
speed up, slow down, go all around in the end
speed up, slow down, go all around in the end...

There's Still Time.........

bumble

Love this band but I have no idea what that means.  If you get a chance - they are a great live act.  If you haven't heard Universal Truths and Cycles yet................... what are you waiting for?

Penny Lane

Robert Pollard is an animal...make sure you get his solo stuff, too (there's LOTS OF IT)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bumble

Yeah he brings a case of beer or cooler on stage with him and just pounds em the entire show.  His solo stuff is really good as Penny already stated.  He used to be a high school teacher.  HA!

tdb810

so i went through a GBV phase about 6 years ago.  One of the med students where I work made me a sampler (he is also the one who introduced me to MMJ -- forever in his debt), and it had some of these songs on it:

i am a tree
game of pricks
my impression now
glad girls
surgical focus
i am a scientist
hot freaks ("with a wet spot bigger than a great lake" -- what a great line)
the best of jill hives
things i will keep

and like 6 or 7 more.  the ones above were standouts for me.  i need to start listening again.  i also need to check out his solo stuff. 

it's a GBV day! fun, thanks for the reminder!
.....Back at the Model Home

iLikeBeer

I'm a big GBV fan.

Funny story on how I got into this band.  It's 1994.  I have two friends who are brothers and they're around 2 years apart.  The younger brother (whom I was closer to) was a HUGE Deadhead and pretty much wouldn't listen to anything else once he became obsessed with the dead.  His brother was more into college radio/indie bands.  I was a combination of both. One night, older brother was driving us to a party that was about a half hour drive.  Since he was driving, he chose the music so he wanted us all to hear this band he'd just discovered called Guided By Voices (he was attending Wright State at the time in GBV's hometown of Dayton).  His brother flipped out the entire way because he wanted to listen to the Dead and bitched and moaned about how bad GBV sucked the entire trip and it almost escelated into fisticuffs?!  :P  Needless to say, I didn't allow the distractions of younger brother influence my opinion as to what a great band this was.  I went out and purchased Bee Thousand shortly thereafter and have been a fan of this band ever since.   :beer:

Oh, and agreed about the Pollard solo stuff.  :thumbsup:

ALady

They were fantastic over the weekend.  Any day you get to hear "Hot Freaks" is a good day.   :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires