Curious (seriously)

Started by Tracy 2112, May 03, 2011, 02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

So, the new album has leaked.

Is it illegal to download it? I'm not asking if it's unethical, I am asking if it's illegal.

thanks
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

el_chode

Unless the holder of the distribution right or the actual right to make copies says you personally can download it from a specific location for a specific price (your pants), then no.
I'm surrounded by assholes

My Monkey Friend

ok, where has this thing leaked?

buymycar

I do believe it's illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  However, not having read the DMCA, I'm not 100% certain of it.

Tracy 2112

br00ke

what if a band has leaked their own stuff ?

Tracy 2112

Quote from: br00ke on May 03, 2011, 02:22 PM
what if a band has leaked their own stuff ?

uuummmmmmmmmmmmm..........

that question makes me feel uncomfortable     :-\

buymycar

I take back what I said about the DMCA.  That only applies to circumventing copy protection for distribution of copyrighted works.  So, I guess it would only apply to the person who ripped it from the CD and posted it.  I don't know if the DMCA has any language about downloading.

Torrents are another gray area, because you are sharing it while you are downloading it.  So, technically, you are distributing a copyrighted work, which is illegal.

The RIAA used to sue people for distributing copyrighted works, but they've stopped doing that.  Or, at least they said they were going to stop doing it.

bakerfall

I believe sharing and not downloading is illegal, but most p2p is by default sharing.  In reality, websites and rippers are who the DMCA goes after (typically). 

Tracy 2112

so it's not illegal to offer a bands unreleased material for mass consumption?

not sure I know the answer.

How about yes or no?

SaraBananaBear

It is in Sweden, unless the copyright holder says it's okay of course. But that's Sweden, so I guess no one cares, just read this as bork, bork, bork...  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Tracy 2112

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

el_chode

Quote from: Socrates 2112 on May 03, 2011, 02:43 PM

How about yes or no?

I see what you're doing here.

Let me put this all in to very simple terms:

Copyright is the right to control how copies of your (creative) work are used.

Ask yourself: Are you copying something? That is, are you making something that exists at location A exist in location B as well? Do you have permission? Was it created a lifetime + 70 years ago? Is your copy so incredibly creative that you wouldn't even know you copied it unless you said you copied it? Is your acerbic wit so cunning and incisive of something that it serves as useful criticism, but the only way you could do that was by mocking it directly? If the answer is Yes, No, No, Yes, or Yes, then you're a bad person and probably smoke marijuana.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: el_chode on May 03, 2011, 03:54 PM

How about yes or no?

Ask yourself: Are you copying something? That is, are you making something that exists at location A exist in location B as well? Do you have permission? Was it created a lifetime + 70 years ago? Is your copy so incredibly creative that you wouldn't even know you copied it unless you said you copied it? Is your acerbic wit so cunning and incisive of something that it serves as useful criticism, but the only way you could do that was by mocking it directly? If the answer is Yes, No, No, Yes, or Yes, then you're a bad person and probably smoke marijuana.

AlwxanderD10

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
Quote from: el_chode on May 03, 2011, 03:54 PM

How about yes or no?

Best. Game. Ever.

Ghosts_on_TV

Starman could kick that guys ass.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Randall

Here's a twist for you: what if you have already pre-ordered the album?  Is it still illegal to download the leaked copy of something you have already purchased?

peafunk31

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on May 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
Starman could kick that guys ass.

Oh please. Giant Panther would counter Starman's Somersault Kick & Flying Cross Chop with his mighty Iron Claw & Head Butt. Recognize fool!!!
Homer no function beer well without.

jones