Circuital Cover Image

Started by Tieoptional, May 09, 2011, 06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tieoptional

As a kid (long time gone) when I would sleep over at my grandparent's house, there was a radio right next to the bed. It was a large, stand-up radio, made out of nice wood, very fancy looking, like a piece of furniture. The magic part of it was the "eye" that you used to tune in the radio stations. The object was to turn the tuning dial until the bright green parts on each side were as close as possible (i.e., minimize the less bright green part at the bottom of the eye). This radio was also shortwave, so I would listen to stuff from all over the world.

Well, yeah, that's what is on the cover of Circuital - the magic tuning eye on an old radio. Brought back a lot of memories to see that.

Wonder if Jim (or someone else in the band) also used to stare at the green glowing eye as a kid? I was sure that it was "radioactive" or had some other kind of unusual powers.

(If you had never seen a radio like this, you would probably have no idea where the image came from. Tell me if you think I am wrong. Sorry if this has already been discussed.)
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

rusty95

A Silvertone to be exact

you nailed it dude, thanks I did not know that.
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

rusty95

ok, I want an old radio with a "tuning eye" now.  ;D

rusty95

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Running Oz

That is indeed a good find!  Thanks for posting it,
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

DaFunkyPrecedent

Well done! Pat yourself on the back.  I didn't like the album cover before...noooow, i think it's quite nifty and want to hear the story behind it.
God damn those shaky knees.

Tieoptional

A little more info on magic tuning eyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eye_tube

Wish my grandparent's radio was still around. Had not thought about it for a long time.
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

Jon T.

SaraBananaBear

Oooh I really like that, thanks for sharing, I had no idea!  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

iLikeBeer

Thanks for sharing that with us TO!  I want that radio now too!   :P

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

Awesome... here I was thinking they just liked pictures of eyes!
In another time, in another place, in another face

rusty95

Dammit we were not even close.

12. What's that green thing on the cover of Circuital?
a. It's either the eye of Canbot, the band's full-service cleaning robot or Dr. Strange's Eye of Agamotto. Choose your own adventure!

TTT
;D

JaneCool

So, I do believe.....

DejaView2011

That is incredible! Thank You so much for sharing that story and also for the pic! I've been contemplating having that eye painted on my new car (which is the EXACT Orange from the Circuital cover art) or getting it as a tattoo and now that I know it's origin I'm sure I want it. I may have the old "45" center spindle put in the pupil tho. Thank You again! :thumbsup:
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?