It's Not Me, It's You: Breaking Up With Your Favorite Band

Started by br00ke, May 03, 2011, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br00ke

article from NPR ... funny because it's true + there is a MMJ reference (which totally does not pertain to us ;))

It's Not Me, It's You: Breaking Up With Your Favorite Band

1. Band You Really Thought You Had Something With - They Said They Call But You Never Heard From Them Again
This is a relationship that never quite gets off the ground. It's over before it's begun. For me this is Neutral Milk Hotel or My Bloody Valentine. They put out an amazing record, you get excited about the great life you're going to have together, but then you never hear from them again. What happened? Was it something I said?

2. Your Best Friend's Girlfriend Or Boyfriend You Secretly Want To Hook Up With
I see all my friends with My Morning Jacket, and I think "I so want to hook up with My Morning Jacket!" They make loving My Morning Jacket look so awesome. Then we finally get together and it's a total disappointment. Basically it's bands you want to love because everyone else you respect loves them, but it's never what you thought it'd be.

3. The Rebound: Bands You Start To Date After Everyone Else Is Through With Them
When early Weezer fans broke up with the band (around the time Make Believe came out), you know there was a whole new group of fans that discovered them for the first time. Early Radiohead fans broke up with the band when OK Computer or Kid A came out, but that's when I started to love them.

4. Band You Broke Up With, Then Got Back Together
I broke up with R.E.M. about ten years ago when the band released Reveal. I never thought we'd get back together. But then R.E.M. released this year's Collapse Into Now and I found myself falling back in love. I broke up with Bright Eyes for a few years, but then the band returned this year with one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard (The People's Key), and I was head over heels in love again.

5. Band That Broke Up With You
This is a band that says its done with you before you're ready to end it. I really thought The White Stripes and I would spend the rest of our lives together. Then, a couple of months ago, the band told me it was ready to move on. I'm still heartbroken over the breakup.

wolof7

1) Jeff Buckley (I know i know)
2) Of Montreal, Bright Eyes, The Decemberists
3) The Flaming Lips (Nice one Tracy)
4) Pearl Jam
5) The Slip
6) Bands that wore out the relationship through levels of narrcissism and mediocrity you could no longer handle - Kings of Leon
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Tracy 2112

1. Spoon
2. Phish
3. The Flaming Lips
4. WILCO
5. Husker Du
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

1. Cool Calm Pete
2. Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, The National
3. Flaming Lips
4. Medeski, Martin and Wood (Bruce Springsteen)
5. Volta do Mar

1 and 5 are interchangeable
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Great idea, even if his example with MMJ makes no sense (though it describes many of my friends).

1. The Allman Brothers Band (this was an It's Me, Not You deal)
2. Pavement, Spoon
3. Rilo Kiley, Nicole Atkins  ;D
4. Wilco (me too!)
5. The Secret Machines  :'(

I liked Boilen's example of the band he broke up with: ELP.  ;D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

kotchishm

1. Cold War Kids, Band of Horses (hopefully Infinite Arms was an experiment), MGMT
2. TV on the Radio (I still to this day do not understand the boner sucking for these guys)
3. The National
4. Kings of Leon (loved Come Around Sundown....judge me)
5. Carissa's Wierd
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on May 03, 2011, 03:03 PM
1 and 5 are interchangeable

I think the point on #5 is that the band is no longer existent, which means wolof's selections might be switched.

I am also with you on your #2. shhhhh
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jaimoe

1 - Most jam bands including Phish and Gov't Mule, but not including pioneers, The Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers.

2 - Many stalward bands of classic rock, but not Hendrix, Who, Stones or Kinks (and a few more). The Eagles can go fuck themselves.

3 - MMJ are under threat. This new album better deliver or else...

el_chode

1) Kings of Leon, for reasons already mentioned
2) Most 90s "big" bands - STP, Pumpkins, etc (not Soundgarden)
3) Wilco - I feel like they've Pearl Jam'd themselves by making albums that you can't really complain about except they don't blow you away like the ones that got you hooked.
4) Tragically Hip - I may have moved too far from the Canadian border for them to infiltrate my tastes anymore
5) Beck - I fucking hated Sea Change. It was emo and don't try and tell yourself otherwise. Sorry your heart broke, but I want more videos of appliances humping and kickass hooks.
I'm surrounded by assholes

The DARK

1. Comets on Fire (whatever happened to these guys? Avatar was such a great album...)
2. The Flaming Lips (I've tried. I really have...)
3. Nick Cave (love his new stuff, especially DLD)
4. Arcade Fire (Neon Bible turned me off of them almost entirely, but the new album brought me back)
5. Silver Jews (oh, what great times we could have had together)
In another time, in another place, in another face

el_chode

Quote from: The DARK on May 04, 2011, 07:15 AM
1. Comets on Fire (whatever happened to these guys? Avatar was such a great album...)
4. Arcade Fire (Neon Bible turned me off of them almost entirely, but the new album brought me back)

I can never remember the band's name, and they're somewhere in my iTunes, but Comets became someone else.
I'm surrounded by assholes

kotchishm

Quote from: el_chode on May 04, 2011, 08:35 AM

I can never remember the band's name, and they're somewhere in my iTunes, but Comets became someone else.

Howlin' Rain
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

buaawwww

Quote from: kotchishm on May 04, 2011, 08:51 AM
Quote from: el_chode on May 04, 2011, 08:35 AM

Howlin' Rain

Howlin' Rain is gooooooooooooooooooooooooood.