Main Menu

Punk Rock!

Started by Tracy 2112, May 14, 2011, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 16, 2011, 11:57 AM
The Clash will always be the best, but they certainly can't be pigeonholed into just punk.

Agreed. Although their first album is a punk classic.

The Clash - White Riot Live (1978 Victoria Park London)

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
The Clash will always be the best, but they certainly can't be pigeonholed into just punk.

So is London Calling, both versions.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 16, 2011, 02:43 PM

Both version? I know s/t has some differences between UK and US release, but I didn't think that was the case for London Calling. Also I consider London Calling just a great rock album(one of the greatest that is), you can't categorize into punk exactly.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
No punk collection is complete without Refused's masterful (and influential): The Shape of Punk To Come.

This song has been ripped off lots over the years. Ironically, the tune has found new life during intros at some NBA games. The main guitar riff may be the heaviest I've ever heard. Fucking genius tune.

I do recognize that riff I think...Great tune, never heard of them. Think I'll have to check out this album, at least
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on May 16, 2011, 02:43 PM

Both version? I know s/t has some differences between UK and US release, but I didn't think that was the case for London Calling. Also I consider London Calling just a great rock album(one of the greatest that is), you can't categorize into punk exactly.

Right you are. I thought there was also a UK release, like their first album (there are several different London Callings on the market, but none specific to the UK). BTW, I have a Joe Strummer signed UK Clash album.

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 16, 2011, 02:59 PM
No punk collection is complete without Refused's masterful (and influential): The Shape of Punk To Come.

This song has been ripped off lots over the years. Ironically, the tune has found new life during intros at some NBA games. The main guitar riff may be the heaviest I've ever heard. Fucking genius tune.

I do recognize that riff I think...Great tune, never heard of them. Think I'll have to check out this album, at least

Refused are still very influential in the hardcore scene. Very political (Swedish) too. The Shape of Punk To Come has lots of legs and is indeed a masterpiece; and makes screaming somehow musical. They broke up in 1999ish and morphed into the popular mod-punk band, (The) International Noise Conspiracy. The latter's second album, Survival Sickness, is a must own too.

The (International) Noise Conspiracy - Smash It Up (video)

And this video/song first hooked me too:

The International Noise Conspiracy- The Reproduction Of Deat

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjk73

Social Distortion- Another State Of Mind

And do yourself a favor and see the doc Another State of Mind if you haven't. Interesting look at early 80's punk with Social D, Youth Brigade, and Minor Threat

Tracy 2112

Pretty in depth 1995 PBS documentry on Punk (it's a multiple part series that covers most rock genres. I don't think it's available on DVD, I, of course, have it on VHS).

Rock and Roll Punk part 1 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)

Rock and Roll Punk part 2 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)

Rock and Roll Punk part 3 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)

Rock and Roll Punk part 4 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)

There's a great bit at the 3:40 mark about The Sex Pistols touring the southern states

Rock and Roll Punk part 5 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)

Rock and Roll Punk part 6 of 6 (PBS 1995 Documentary)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

Refused - "New Noise" Burning Heart Records
I totally hear this is just about every "screamo" band that has come out since....including my friend's brothers band (story of the year). I think I like (International) Noise Conspiracy more.

Also, what's up with the Swedish punk bands and being some stylish mofos? Are these guys competing with the Hives for the coolest dressed?

youreveningcoat

Haha damn you guys got me there, that just goes to showthat I don't like punk because the only song of green days that I like (according to you) is not even a punk song! Which is good... Because it was a bit awkward when I had to tell people I liked a punk song...
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

buymycar

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
Quote from: youreveningcoat on May 16, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ok in my opinion punk IS crap.. But don't let me ruin this thread I'll just say

GREEN DAY - JESUS OF SUBURBIA

It's OK that you don't understand punk, not everyone gets it. It's not a real "accessbile" form of music.

BTW, bands like Green Day (who actually started out as a punk band) have done nothing but harm pure punk music b/c it draws in people like you who think the punk image is "cool" and are brainwashed into thinking that seimi doo-wop songs like Jesus of Suburbia is punk rock and that everything we experience in life can be translated into Old Navy like videos.

Punk isn't sleek. And it isn't for the masses; it's against the masses.

I suggest you study up   :)

I read an interview with Johnny Rotten where he said that Green Day has become "a really nice coat hanger for a punk jacket."  I thought that was awesome.

youreveningcoat

Ok I think we can all agree that green day can only be classified as shit
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

capt. scotty

Quote from: youreveningcoat on May 17, 2011, 04:26 AM
Ok I think we can all agree that green day can only be classified as shit

Dookie is still great

nuggets

Some of my favs.
The Faction- Stevie Cab rippin' up the bass.
Faction Skate & Destroy Live
Minor Threat-don't be put off by the low-fi audio-give it a sec
Minor Threat-Steppin Stone {Monkees Cover}
SSD-Boston's own-SSD and Flipper were the two of biggest influences on Kurt Cobain
SS DECONTROL Glue
Flipper
Flipper- Ha ha ha
Dag Nasty
Dag Nasty - Can I Say - 09 - Can I Say

Couldn't agree more about bands like Green Day. Too funny how people seem to think it qualifies as "punk". By far the most annoying to me is Rancid. They straight up rip off The Clash every time they pick up their instruments.
Oh shit, run!

he.who.forgets

I cant call myself a punk fan cuz I dont listen to it very often but here are some tunes from bands I like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_B0uXwLCTg (ftp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_B0uXwLCTg)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJFWirQ3ks (ftp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJFWirQ3ks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n8TuSVmOrw (ftp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n8TuSVmOrw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ1SfwbE64 (ftp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ1SfwbE64)

mjk73

Great modern hardcore band...Fucked Up. Their new one is a masterpiece IMO.

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 04, 2011, 02:45 PM

Their portly leader hosts The Wedge, a weekly live music video show on a TV station I work for, MuchMusic. He's very entertaining to say the least.

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jul 04, 2011, 04:23 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 04, 2011, 02:45 PM

Their portly leader hosts The Wedge, a weekly live music video show on a TV station I work for, MuchMusic. He's very entertaining to say the least.
I'll bet. Their live shows are insane from what I've seen.