Main Menu

Sec Walkin'

Started by Willard1979, Feb 02, 2014, 11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willard1979

I never paid much attention to this song.  I always skipped it.  Now I think it's pretty great!   :drum:

EverythingChanges

I've always liked this song. Other board members think it sparkles too much.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

justbcuzido

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 03, 2014, 12:05 AM
I've always liked this song. Other board members think it sparkles too much.

Haha, I have always loved this song HOTBM, Highly Suspicious and just about every other contentious song they have made.

I also really like Two Halves.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

MOWJO8185

I listen to this song when I am in the mood to listen to MMJ but also in the mood to listen to James Taylor.

Willard1979

I get kind of a Steely Dan vibe with this song.

tippitoes22

Its gotta total Boz Scaggs feel at least vocally. That plus Dylan(just Nashville Skyline).
It makes me think Jim drank a quart of buttermilk before the vocal take.
I like it. But it kinda cracks me up cuz of the buttermilk voice.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

rincon2

Reminds me of Ronnie Milsap. No expert on him, but an ex used to listen to him a lot. I don't understand all the hate for this and the rest of the middle of EU. Especially two halves. Classic pop song. Nothing more.

LBSUNFLWR

I always loved this song.  :thumbsup:

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 19, 2014, 08:40 AM
I always loved this song.  :thumbsup:
I've always loved this song too.  I always think of my Grandpa Barney when I hear this.

Northern Neighbour

I'm going to break up the group hug and say that I think this song is incredibly boring and not creative. It's quite static and definitely not among the band's best work.

Fully

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Mar 19, 2014, 10:31 AM
I'm going to break up the group hug and say that I think this song is incredibly boring and not creative. It's quite static and definitely not among the band's best work.

What we like can be a very divisive issue. I don't love this song, but it isn't as awful as The Day is Coming. When fans get bothered by the fact that everyone doesn't love everything the band does, just remember that as great as Paul McCartney is, the man who wrote Let It Be and Hey Jude also wrote Wonderful Christmastime (IMO the worst holiday song ever) and Spirits of Ancient Egypt. Sometimes great bands and songwriters make stinkers and other times they write a song as beautiful as Golden.

rincon2

Thinking Sec Walking is boring an not creative is one thing. Using the worst of Paul McCartney as a comparison is an entirely different matter. No MMJ songs are as terrible as Wonderful Christmastime, someone's knocking, Silly lovesings, and other kindergarten sing along garbage.

LBSUNFLWR

Also what I think are their best songs and what songs are my favorite songs are not always the same thing!

I can appreciate what's well written or has the best guitar solo but it might never be one of my favorite songs. And yet songs that are my favorites sometimes I don't really know what it's even about...

Fully

Quote from: rincon2 on Mar 19, 2014, 11:19 AM
Thinking Sec Walking is boring an not creative is one thing. Using the worst of Paul McCartney as a comparison is an entirely different matter. No MMJ songs are as terrible as Wonderful Christmastime, someone's knocking, Silly lovesings, and other kindergarten sing along garbage.

I think you missed the point. I wasn't saying that Jim's songs are similar to McCartney's songs. I'm saying that even someone as awesome as McCartney can be hot or miss, so it isn't disrespectful to the band to not salivate over all their songs.

Fully

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 19, 2014, 03:01 PM
Also what I think are their best songs and what songs are my favorite songs are not always the same thing!

I can appreciate what's well written or has the best guitar solo but it might never be one of my favorite songs. And yet songs that are my favorites sometimes I don't really know what it's even about...

That's an excellent point!  And to refer back to the original poster, sometimes a song that you ignore for years in the catalogue suddenly becomes interesting to you.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

rincon2

Quote from: Fully on Mar 19, 2014, 03:59 PM

I think you missed the point. I wasn't saying that Jim's songs are similar to McCartney's songs. I'm saying that even someone as awesome as McCartney can be hot or miss, so it isn't disrespectful to the band to not salivate over all their songs.
I understand your point. I just don't think MMJ has any truly terrible songs, while Paul does. A lot in my opinion. Especially the one you pointed out.

Fully

He also wrote Hey Jude and Let Ot Be which as much as I love Jim's music, none of his songs are in the same category. Although I hope one day they are.

pattilovesmmj

At the very least, I think the band is in the same eclectic realm as bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.

Mr. White

Hey! I loved Let 'em In (a.k.a. Someone's Knocking) back when it came out in 1976. I wasn't a Kindergartener...I was in 4th grade...(I thought it was kind of trippy...for a 4th grader's tastes).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011