So, I was going to see Avatar tonight...

Started by Johnny_Yac, Jan 24, 2010, 01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

and was walking to a friend's car when I slipped on some ice.  My head hit the ground first, across a sharp ridge of ice.  My arms went numb and a gush of blood spread across the ice.  

At that moment, I recall thinking of my wife, my three daughters, and the possibility that I might not get to see My Morning Jacket live again.  

I'm pretty sure it was in that order.

After 6 hours at the hospital, 4 of 'em in a neck brace, and 12 neck x-rays to make sure I hadn't broken my neck, I was actually able to drive home and listen to Okonokos on the way.  I hurt like hell (thank God for Percocet) but I will heal.  I sure could use some new Jacket or something to help in the meantime.

My friend stayed with me the whole time without complaint.  He is a true friend, though he needs to sand his driveway.

MMJ, tour this year!  Come to New England.  Try out some of the new shit for your next album.  We'll be open minded.  Blow us away.  No pressure.  Hell, you can stay at my place; we'll make room.  

Okay, better get to bed.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

danz

wow that just happen!. sorry to hear.  nice order of thoughts...

sweatboard

Yeah, this is bullshit.....more stuff like this is going to start happening.

I don't even remember what it's like to see them live.....I don't even remember what it's like to feel something at a concert.
There's Still Time.........

Soulshine

Quoteand was walking to a friend's car when I slipped on some ice.  My head hit the ground first, across a sharp ridge of ice.  My arms went numb and a gush of blood spread across the ice.  

At that moment, I recall thinking of my wife, my three daughters, and the possibility that I might not get to see My Morning Jacket live again.  

After 6 hours at the hospital, 4 of 'em in a neck brace, and 12 neck x-rays to make sure I hadn't broken my neck, I was actually able to drive home and listen to Okonokos on the way.  I hurt like hell (thank God for Percocet) but I will heal.  I sure could use some new Jacket or something to help in the meantime.

My friend stayed with me the whole time without complaint.  He is a true friend, though he needs to sand his driveway.

MMJ, tour this year!  Come to New England.  Try out some of the new shit for your next album.  We'll be open minded.  Blow us away.  No pressure.  Hell, you can stay at my place; we'll make room.  

Okay, better get to bed.

Holy smokes dude...glad to hear you are ok. I'm with you on everything else you've stated above (except for the percocet-that shit fugs me up!) All of our pent up energy just may blow them through the backdrop when they walk out on stage. They should probably take the proper precautions for that.
Because we're all in this together...

AMightyCaporal

Quoteand was walking to a friend's car when I slipped on some ice.  My head hit the ground first, across a sharp ridge of ice.  My arms went numb and a gush of blood spread across the ice.  

Okay, better get to bed.

Holy smokes dude...glad to hear you are ok. I'm with you on everything else you've stated above (except for the percocet-that shit fugs me up!) All of our pent up energy just may blow them through the backdrop when they walk out on stage. They should probably take the proper precautions for that.

Thats what Jim's beard is for... its like a shock absorber. Takes all of our energy and converts it to Jimness, which is then spread equally through all band members, then they proceed to blast our minds, melt our faces, jump start our hearts, and free our souls!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

johnnYYac

Thats what Jim's beard is for... its like a shock absorber. Takes all of our energy and converts it to Jimness, which is then spread equally through all band members, then they proceed to blast our minds, melt our faces, jump start our hearts, and free our souls!

Well put, AMC.  Thanks for the kind words, Danz and Soulshine.  

Aside from family and close friends, my growing passion for MMJ is a major part of who I am (or have become).  Music was always a defining part of my character, as when I was a practicing Deadhead (while Jerry was alive) and even now, going to see Furthur (Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, etc.) in a few weeks.  

I love good music, talented musicians, and the live music experience.  I can even entertain myself with the Omnichord.  And the passion of fans like me evident on this forum is unreal.     

BTW, for those not too sqeamish, before and after pics of my noggin on my blog page: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/musings/

Ruckus

Well put, AMC.  Thanks for the kind words, Danz and Soulshine.  

Aside from family and close friends, my growing passion for MMJ is a major part of who I am (or have become).  Music was always a defining part of my character, as when I was a practicing Deadhead (while Jerry was alive) and even now, going to see Furthur (Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, etc.) in a few weeks.  

I love good music, talented musicians, and the live music experience.  I can even entertain myself with the Omnichord.  And the passion of fans like me evident on this forum is unreal.     

BTW, for those not too sqeamish, before and after pics of my noggin on my blog page: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/musings/

Wow!  Glad you're OK man.  Those pics are hardcore.  So did you already have a shaved head?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

dragonboy

Ouch!  :o

Pleased to hear you're OK JohnnY, that's going to be one heck of a scar but that's cool - remember what stuntman Lance Murdoch told Bart Simpson ""Bones heal, chicks dig scars and America has the highest stuntman to doctor ration in the world."
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

johnnYYac

QuoteWow!  Glad you're OK man.  Those pics are hardcore.  So did you already have a shaved head?

Yes, already shaved, though it might be tricky shaving over or around the scar.  

BTW, I appreciate the concern for my health, as I damn near killed myself.  My intent, however, was to illustrate the fact that MMJ entered my mind mighty quick after the accident.  I'd die for my children, kill for my wife.  For MMJ, maybe armed robbery.

The real question is, how many more will have to suffer injury or near-death experiences without a fresh live MMJ experience?  Jim, Carl, Bo, Tommy, Patrick- c'mon guys.  Give us hope.  We need to believe in hope again.  If you're not up for a big show or tour, just come on over to my house for a weekend jam session.  Enjoy tax-free New Hampshire!  Just watch out for the ice!

AMightyCaporal

Damn thats intense.  I'm really happy you are alright.

One thing I always think about when I think of my friend Lou (who has not been fully conscious since November 2008) is the awesome time we had with MMJ at festival pier, I always think about drumming on his back so he would ignore the drunk asshole kid that was ramming into everyone to try and get to the front.  Then I think about how he was to go with us to MMJ NYE and how excited he was.  I think about how much fun we would have had.  Its part of the beauty of this band, how they create such unique and vivid memories for so many people, some that everyone shares (fireworks and  rain at festival pier) or the little ones that are just for the individual.  Thats why true fans are like junkies for the live shows... they always bring it and give us more than we expect.  
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side