Deluxe box set DVD

Started by e_wind, May 26, 2011, 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Great. Heartwarming. I love it. It made me love my life here in L'ville and my nights with MMJ. I'm also in it for a brief second! Great great job by the gang.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Dillsnufus

is there full live performances? or just clips of them playing live?
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

e_wind

uhhhh its weird. a couple songs from the Yum Center in their entirety, but they switch from views of the stage to views of the band practicing with the the LYO in another location. its a great DVD though.

partandparcel

Since some of us haven't gotten the box set yet, I am dying to know what the movie is about/like. So let's hear about it!

What'd you guys think? :thumbsup:

YouAre_GivenToFly

I just finished it about an hour ago. Its very Louisville-centric, and totally awesome. A good bit of one-on-one clips with the guys giving their thoughts about the city and what makes it special. A few lines from the mayor, the owner of ear-x-tacy, and the conductor of the Louisville Youth Orchestra. Anyone who got to their last Louisville show at the Yum center should definitely seek this film out... tons of great shots from that show.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Jellyfish

If you are huge Patrick fans like me there are quite a few interview clips with him. :thumbsup:
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Nikkogino

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on May 27, 2011, 12:40 AM
I just finished it about an hour ago. Its very Louisville-centric, and totally awesome. A good bit of one-on-one clips with the guys giving their thoughts about the city and what makes it special. A few lines from the mayor, the owner of ear-x-tacy, and the conductor of the Louisville Youth Orchestra. Anyone who got to their last Louisville show at the Yum center should definitely seek this film out... tons of great shots from that show.

Yeah, it is alright.  I was expecting more of a "Making of" documentary on Circuital.  It is more of a Louisville documentary than anything else.  Extended interviews with the owner of Ear-X-Tacy, the leader of the Louisville Youth Orchestra (his interviews went way too long), the mayor of Louisville, and members of Wax Fang.  They show the band playing "Thank You," "Into the Woods" (YESSSSSS, underrated song), "The Way that He Sings," and "Wonderful."  Not to be a hater, but the documentary was a little boring, as the focus was on Louisville the whole time, and not as much on the Jacket, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  If I wasn't a die-hard Jacket fan, it would have bored me.  It is only 28 minutes or something like that. 

I hope there is some footage somewhere of the making of Circuital.  It seems like that would be an interesting record to make.

EDIT:  It sounds above like I am being a hater.  I apologize.  I am loving the shit out of Circuital, just like I love the shit out of every album the guys have made.  I guess I just wanted the doc to focus more on the band and/or the album.  Anyway, the box set is awesome.  I want to sit around and listen to the vinyl all day long.

DejaView2011

Quote from: Jellyfish on May 27, 2011, 06:11 AM
If you are huge Patrick fans like me there are quite a few interview clips with him. :thumbsup:
awesome! I love Patrick and his sense of humor. In group shots I find myself watching him more often lately. He always cracks me up. His record pressing tour was great. Loved him singing in the shower.  Lol
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

rmpotsy

Quote from: Nikkogino on May 27, 2011, 06:58 AM

Yeah, it is alright.  I was expecting more of a "Making of" documentary on Circuital.  It is more of a Louisville documentary than anything else.  Extended interviews with the owner of Ear-X-Tacy, the leader of the Louisville Youth Orchestra (his interviews went way too long), the mayor of Louisville, and members of Wax Fang.  They show the band playing "Thank You," "Into the Woods" (YESSSSSS, underrated song), "The Way that He Sings," and "Wonderful."  Not to be a hater, but the documentary was a little boring, as the focus was on Louisville the whole time, and not as much on the Jacket, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  If I wasn't a die-hard Jacket fan, it would have bored me.  It is only 28 minutes or something like that. 

I hope there is some footage somewhere of the making of Circuital.  It seems like that would be an interesting record to make.

EDIT:  It sounds above like I am being a hater.  I apologize.  I am loving the shit out of Circuital, just like I love the shit out of every album the guys have made.  I guess I just wanted the doc to focus more on the band and/or the album.  Anyway, the box set is awesome.  I want to sit around and listen to the vinyl all day long.

so you didnt like the doc because it wasnt about what you wanted it to be about? 

huh?

i hated the kings speech, it wasnt about baseball.  i wanted to watch a movie about baseball and all they talked about was this stuttering king the whole time.
out go the lights it begins

e_wind

Peoples interviews went on too long? It was only 30 minutes total... It was about Louisville but what they're saying could be applied to any city. You shouldn't have assumed something no one ever said.

Nikkogino

Quote from: rmpotsy on May 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on May 27, 2011, 06:58 AM

so you didnt like the doc because it wasnt about what you wanted it to be about? 

huh?

i hated the kings speech, it wasnt about baseball.  i wanted to watch a movie about baseball and all they talked about was this stuttering king the whole time.

I didn't say I "didn't like the doc."  If you read my post I actually said "but I enjoyed it nonetheless."  For being a documentary about MMJ's impact on Louisville and Louisville's music scene, it was great. 

And as for the person asking about my saying the interviews were a little too long with some people, there were like 6 or 7 spots showing the orchestra leader's talking head....I'm just saying that going into the dvd expecting it to be more MMJ-centric, I wasn't as enthused about seeing some guy I have never seen before talk about the orchestra....not that it wasn't interesting.  I was just on an MMJ high, and wanted some more MMJ to get my fix.  I apologize for being negative.  It isn't a bad documentary at all.  In fact, it succeeds in telling the story of Louisville's scene quite well.  I just wanted to see Circuital being made.

Am I off the hook now?  Can we go back to being happy as shit about the awesome packages we are all receiving this week?

bigkidfallsdown.com

Watched it. Loved it. Went out and got the Wax Fang record and a pitcher of margaritas.

So, today I got Circuital deluxe in the mail, bought Wax Fang and decided on STL and KC back to back shows. Good fuckin day. If only I could've charged the margaritas to the Roll Call card...
11.10.07 Knoxville, TN • Bonnarroo '08 • MoF 10.31.09 Louisville, KY • 8.17.10 Chicago, IL

Nicholas Yames

Not sure if anyone has started a thread on this yet so let me know if they have but...

What is everyone's thoughts on the documentary "One Big Holiday"?

I personally enjoyed it. I thought it beautifully showed the band's connection to their hometown and how much they care about giving back.

I especially enjoyed Jim's take on how music can become someone's "roots" and that everyone has something like that no matter what it is... Considering that MMJ is my own "root" and my family and friends tease me about it that part deeply touched me. Gimme your thoughts peeps!  :dankk2:
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

Igbo

Watched this the other day....

I too was under the impression it was going to be a "making of Circuital" video, my bad since it is obviously not. Thought it was interesting to see how Louisville-centric the video it was. Really showed how much the band loves Louisville and vice-versa. Made me jealous i'm not there tonight for the show. I wish there was more live footage, but all in all a decent little vid.

Also, did anyone catch the smoking hot brunette in the front row close to the end of the video? Yummy  :thumbsup:

partandparcel

My box set arrived this weekend and I had a chance to watch the film.

Although I would have also liked to have seen a behind the scenes on the making of Circuital, those type of "in the studio" films have been done so many times before. What I like about this is it's a film unique to MMJ. The film tells a wonderful story, they picked the right people to interview because it gave us different perspectives and their bites were so insightful. The intercutting between rehearsals and the concert was expertly done. How awesome was it to see them rehearsing with the LYO?

I love this film. Absolutely love it. Because there is a ton of love here- love for the city from the band, love of the band from the city, and love from the filmmaker to both. It is such a unique story and so expertly told. The film is kinda a concert film but also delved deeper into the true meaning of what this band is all about.

I like that MMJ keeps the mystique of their work in the studio to themselves so i don't mind not seeing a behind the scenes film, but this film shows them in their element, live in their city doing what they do best. I think why I like it so much is it really shows all the things I love most about the band.

-Stu