The worst MMJ song?

Started by Jahmazed, Jun 06, 2011, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSoundsofSilence

#1 Sec Walking. #2 Two Halves #3 What a Wonderful Man #4 Outta My System #5 First Light. does my list give away my fondness of pre-Z mmj? I'll be honest not only are these my least favs they are no good. I see Librarian and into the woods was getting alot of hits.....i like them both.

Brother Beck

Two Halves is the only MMJ song that I actually and actively dislike.  Gets my vote hands down. 

Off the Black Metal

I really dislike Highly Suspicious.

Tracy 2112

They Ran (Tennessee Fire version)

I think part of it is b/c it sounds like I recorded it through the pocket of a trench coat.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

MarkW

Run Thru.  Too long.  Not enough falsetto.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

halesdd

Quote from: MarkW on Jun 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Run Thru.  Too long.  Not enough falsetto.

Please tell me your joking!!!
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jun 06, 2011, 06:20 PM
They Ran (Tennessee Fire version)

I think part of it is b/c it sounds like I recorded it through the pocket of a trench coat.

yeah i can hardly listen to this, but the Live at the Palms version is amazing. As for me, I'll be happy when they quit playing Im Amazed live.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

gardenparty

mahg33ta

Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
look at you

this used to be on my list too, but after seeing it solo a few times, I have a new respect for it.

el_chode

Quote from: rincon on Jun 06, 2011, 09:00 AM
Ironically I love Librarian and the only song I really think sucks is I'm Amazed. Reminds me of FM radio in the late 70's when Boston, Toto, Styx etc.. ruled the radio, and Tom Petty was cutting edge.

YOU LEAVE BOSTON OUT OF THIS
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Librarian is the only song on EU that in my Opinion has the real MMJ sound as far as recording style. In that I mean it is one of the few songs on that album that has subtleties. Gave me goosebumps.

I'll admit I don't care for Sec Walkin because of the lyrics and Two Halves just got stale after a few listens.

Any slow song that doesn't have mojo on the studio release has always made up for it live.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ManNamedTruth

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I can't believe some people answers! I love Honest Man  - provides a good kick midway through all that mellowness. Wonderful Man - this song rocks and probably has their hardest riff, you're all wrong. Thank You Too - my favorite song from EU, classic MMJ with a lot of soul. I'm Amazed - solid track and is catchy. I hated Highly Suspicious at first, but then I saw them play it live!
I literally liked everything pre-EU, from the b-sides, compilation tracks, EP's etc...So my least favorite songs would be Touch Me pt 1 -  and they seem to play this live a lot, i don't think it translates well live. Two Halves - i think we all agree on this one. Aluminum Park - kind of a rehash of Wonderful Man.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

e_wind

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jun 06, 2011, 09:03 PM
I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I can't believe some people answers! I love Honest Man  - provides a good kick midway through all that mellowness. Wonderful Man - this song rocks and probably has their hardest riff, you're all wrong. Thank You Too - my favorite song from EU, classic MMJ with a lot of soul. I'm Amazed - solid track and is catchy. I hated Highly Suspicious at first, but then I saw them play it live!
I literally liked everything pre-EU, from the b-sides, compilation tracks, EP's etc...So my least favorite songs would be Touch Me pt 1 -  and they seem to play this live a lot, i don't think it translates well live. Two Halves - i think we all agree on this one. Aluminum Park - kind of a rehash of Wonderful Man.

You've got it all wrong! Touch Me 1 is amazing. Two Halves - infintely better than Im Amazed. Alumium Park is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite song on EU
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

halesdd

I think its all just a matter of opinion but it is shocking in some ways.

What I find shocking that people are saying they dont like:
1) Run Thru
2) Remnants
3) Honest Man
4) Highly Suspicious
5) Aluminum Park
6) Wonderful Man
7) They Ran

What doesnt suprise me:
1) Two Halves (one my least favorites)
2) Touch Me Pt 1 (I like this song, but I could see how others may not like it)
3) Sec Walkin'  (I like it as well.  Not lyrically deep I suppose)

This is a very interesting thread because it illustrates the vast differences of MMJ fans and what their distaste are.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

CHIMMJFAN

Wow this is a tough one to answer, I guess I would have to say "Two Halves" or "Sec Walkin"

I am a bit shocked always by how much people get into "I'm Amazed" although at the KFY Yum Center Louisville show when they broke out a little metal guitar at the end, I admit I got into that, lol

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

capt. scotty

Somebody Cares About The Maestro
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

rincon

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jun 06, 2011, 05:44 PM
Two Halves is the only MMJ song that I actually and actively dislike.  Gets my vote hands down.
I really like Two Halves. I have a friend that I have been watching perform live over 25 years. He has lot's of originals, and is into power pop, and old stuff like Orbison, Holly, and Valens. Every time I hear 2 halves it sounds like Frank.  He runs the record dept. at Salzers, the big indy music store in Ventura.
Sec Walkin sounds like a Ronnie Milsap song/ My wife is a big fan. Thank You Too is the Spinners, or some other 60's motown male group.

rincon

Quote from: el_chode on Jun 06, 2011, 08:04 PM
Ironically I love Librarian and the only song I really think sucks is I'm Amazed. Reminds me of FM radio in the late 70's when Boston, Toto, Styx etc.. ruled the radio, and Tom Petty was cutting edge.

Why? When talking about sucky music, what the prob? Just another faceless corporate rock band that dominated radio when I was in high school. Foreigner, Journey, Kansas, Bad Company, etc. You should feel lucky there was good music when you were that age, and ways to listen to it. I had 2 radio stations in LA, or  had to buy something based on Rolling Stone or LA Times. I got a lot of crappy albums from the 70's. I even have Bostons first, given as a gift, listened to maybe twice. You want it?

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on Jun 06, 2011, 11:15 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Jun 06, 2011, 08:04 PM

Why? When talking about sucky music, what the prob? Just another faceless corporate rock band that dominated radio when I was in high school. Foreigner, Journey, Kansas, Bad Company, etc. You should feel lucky there was good music when you were that age, and ways to listen to it. I had 2 radio stations in LA, or  had to buy something based on Rolling Stone or LA Times. I got a lot of crappy albums from the 70's. I even have Bostons first, given as a gift, listened to maybe twice. You want it?

Corporate rock? I don't recall American Express sponsoring Boston when I saw them play in 1979   ;)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

rincon

Corporate as in production, not marketing. Those bands had very little creative control. The record companies were in charge. That is why Neil Young did so much wacked stuff in the 80's as a protest to Geffen trying to tell him to make Harvest over and over. He paved the way for a band like MMJ to make an album die hard fans think sucks, like EU.