MMJ Record Sales

Started by headhunter, Jun 09, 2011, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

Saw a short blurb in today's New York Times that Circuital sold 55,000 copies in it's first week of sales.  This made the album the No. 5 on the top selling album charts (behind lady gaga, adele, death cab for cutie and eddie vedder's new solo record).

According to the article this is the band's best sales week and its highest chart position ever.

Congratulations guys!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

Nice!  Of course, I've bought 3 copies, so...  :D
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ChiefOKONO

That is awesome!  i love it!!!  Congrats guys!

although i was also thinking about 10 years ago and number 5 on the chart would be over 200 or 300K sometimes!!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jun 09, 2011, 02:43 PM
although i was also thinking about 10 years ago and number 5 on the chart would be over 200 or 300K sometimes!!

Yeah, whatever thread it was where Santana was brought up, I thought about his comeback album from like 10 years ago and it sold 15 million copies. Back then, #1 was easily over 1 million in the first week. Now, I dont think the #1 clears 500k usually unless its a big name. Crazy the 55k lands you #5. I guess illegal d/ling has gotten pretty bad.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mike

It is tracking to sell another 20,000 copies or so in week 2 which will have it still around #15 on the top 200.

JDUB

Anyone know the total album sales of all MMJ's previous albums?

MarkW

Quote from: JDUB on Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
Anyone know the total album sales of all MMJ's previous albums?

This is from a 2008 NY Times article, just before EU was released:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/arts/music/15sisa.html?pagewanted=all

Yet in an industry in which numbers mean everything, My Morning Jacket's record sales don't match its profile. "Z," from 2005, is its biggest seller at 212,000; its four studio albums have sold fewer than 500,000 copies altogether, according to Nielsen SoundScan, low even for a midlevel rock act.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mike

It finished this week at #22 with around 16,000 more in sales.