JIM IS SO COOL!!

Started by manicfanatic, Apr 03, 2010, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicfanatic

I was just reading the latest issue of Rolling Stone and the article about Erykah Badu and Jim's comments.  I love the line "I love it when someone takes the time to be fucked up".   He compares her last album to Sly and the Family Stone's "There's A Riot Goin On".  An album that may "sound like shit" the first time you hear it "but the more you listen, the more you go, That's the most real thing I've heard in so long". Being a huge R&B fan,  I think one of the reason that I love this band so much is that they really have a lot of soul to them.  And not only that, but they try to educate their audience.   I mean covers of Funkadelic, Bobby Womack, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Sly, Erykah Badu, etc is just so cool.  And that is only some of the R&B covers they have done over the years.   There is something great about going to a show and hearing a cover that you never heard before and then going out and discovering that artist for yourself.  Of course, there is always going to be that portion of the audience that is going to say "play, I'm Amazed or whatever" but that is their fucking loss.  Though I think most of us on this board wouldn't fall into this category.   Just thought I would pass this thought along.  
"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

ALady

I will cosign the heck out of this post.  One of the highlights of last year's 21c show was Jim's cover of "Peace in the Valley" which is so close to the version on Wonderful by Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers.  It sounded so familiar and I couldn't think where I'd heard it before until I remembered that disc.

They really know how to get to my soulful side   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

AlwxanderD10

I love their version of move on up sooooo much!!  ::)